PDA

View Full Version : lug nut wheel locks

avguy
07-11-2008, 03:51 PM
While checking the pressure of the trailer tires before heading to the lake this week I noticed my 4 yr old Goodyear Marathons had started to sucumb to the elements and were starting to dry rot. Not to the point that I felt I couldn't drive down the road with them one last time but it made me uncomfortable enough to double check that I had all the necessary tools with me in the event I needed to change a tire or two along the way.

One of the first things I put on the trailer were a set of Gorilla brand wheel lock nuts. The "key" which is nothing more than a propietary lug nut socket that fits the outside groves in the lug nut has been in my truck ever since.....until this week. I have no idea what could have happened to it but the bottom line was no key...no change tire. Fortunately for me I discovered this while at home and not 30 miles down the road.

Gave the people at Gorilla a call to get some advise as to how to get them off. Simple they said.....just send them $8.50 the registration # from the original package the locks came in & they'll send me a new key. And I said what if I don't have the original packaging with that registration #........

After a few minutes she said to simply take a 13/16ths 12 point deep well socket & drive it down over the lug with a hammer then back off the lug with a socket wrench.

Took about 30 minutes & I had all 5 wheels on the trailer lock free.

So for those who have the locking lugs & no key.........here ya go. Scott

First Born
07-11-2008, 04:13 PM
Thanks, I think....:huh:

avguy
07-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Wes what didn't you understand?

First Born
07-11-2008, 04:41 PM
I understand it completely and even gave you an approve for the advise, I just hope the guy that wants to steal my rims off of my vehicle does not know this little trick. Kinda defeats the purpose of having locking lug nuts.

I should have put a :smt043after my :huh:.

Wesley

avguy
07-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Well......maybe I should have closed with...for those who have locking lugs & no key or those who admire their neighbors wheels:grin:

Just Right
07-11-2008, 05:16 PM
I have three 6' x 3/4" Krypton cable locks: one each side, one goes through each rim and around the frame, the third goes through the two spares and around the frame.

I got lucky as they are keyed alike. Not lucky, I just spend a lot of time at hardware stores. After buying the first lock I always kept a key with me; and everytime I go to a store I tried the key in all the cable locks. If it worked, I bought the lock. After about 12 weeks I collected a set of three locks.

Not the most efficient, way, but it worked...