PDA

View Full Version : ? about Florida Detroit Diesels & Allison ?

JC3
01-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Thinking about having them do my engine surveys, etc... Anybody ever dealt with them? What should I expect the cost to be for both engines & generator? Thanks as always JC

osd9
01-10-2007, 12:32 PM
Nothing specific, but CAT recently quoted approximately $1000 for engine surveys.

Hope that helps...

fwebster
01-10-2007, 12:34 PM
An engine survey for a pair of diesels usually takes a day......figure 8 hours X $100/hour + some travel time and expenses since they bill you from the time they clock on the work order until they clock off.

You should have the oil, the transmission fluid and antifreeze sampled and analyzed.....figure 8 samples at about $30 ea. for lab expense.

If you and they surveyor decide to bore scope the engines to evaluate cylinder wear.......a distince possibility on Detroits......ad another day.

Talk to the service manager at Florida Detroit Allison and explain that you want to know the condition of the engines and what immediate future mechanical needs you may be looking at. They do this all the time and he should be able to give you a ball park cost.

One thig to realize is that the engines are going to have to be put under load to survey them. That means someone is going to have to run the boat for several hours. I helped a friend buy a boat at the MM store in Houston TX a while ago, and MM could not have been more accomodating. Once they figured out we knew what we were doing, they got the salesman off the boat and assigned a company captain to us. He stayed with us, answered all the questions and did everything we needed. Both surveys and the sea trail were finished in about 6 hours. It couldn't have been handled any better. Hopefully you can orchestrate the hull survey, the sea trail and the engine survey so you can be present and get it all done at the same time plus learn something about the boat and engines. If you can't, it'll be a challenge to coordinate and may take longer.

JC3
01-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Thanks Dominic & Frank! It all helps. Getting ready for my whirlwind tour Friday and Iam really excited to see it. I just hope the Boat is close to what was represented. Thanks JC
Frank, I called Florida DD and the person that handles that is supposed to call me back. I told the very nice lady that schedules these things that i wanted to be there and I wanted the most thorough engine survey that is possible! I will go back to old post and our e-mails and dig out what should be done and expected on the engine survey. Thanks JC

PMvdb395DA
01-10-2007, 12:47 PM
How long can you stay there JC?

JC3
01-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Just heard back from Florida Detroit Diesel. They want $2000.00 PER ENGINE this includes 3 total days. Gage ck, sea trial, visual ck, Fluid samples, bore scope, compression etc... Is this about right or what??? JC

PMvdb395DA
01-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Just heard back from Florida Detroit Diesel. They want $2000.00 PER ENGINE this includes 3 total days. Gage ck, sea trial, visual ck, Fluid samples, bore scope, compression etc... Is this about right or what??? JC

If they do the maintenance on the same time!!
So that when the engines are ok, that you don’t even have to change a filter.

Pfff that's big bucks!

But I don't have experience about this, so let others chime in.

fwebster
01-10-2007, 07:06 PM
You didn't tell me the contents of the Florida Detroit Alison survey in the email............bore scope will allow the technician to visually examine the cylinder walls for damage and wear patterns. The compression check will tell him the health of the engines. Both are considered invasive and require removing and reseating injectors, so yes, the cost is probably realistic and should tell the story.

And, to be redundant, I would not buy a Detroit powered boat without doing these tests.

No, you won't get an oil change thrown in for free!

never monday
01-10-2007, 11:01 PM
I second Frank on the value of the survey on a Detroit powered boat.