PDA

View Full Version : Is This Oxidation?

sreill
03-25-2009, 08:50 AM
And if it is, how can I fix it? I tried to adjust the contrast of the pic so that you could see it. Its along the top side of the hull.

http://clubsearay.com/forum/album.php?albumid=72&pictureid=431

H2ONUT
03-25-2009, 09:07 AM
Yes it is, if you use a light compound it will come right back. You should have seen mine when I got it :wow:.

sreill
03-25-2009, 09:19 AM
Its very blotchy. I wish I could get it to show in photos. It looks like camoflage when u look down the side of the boat.

sfergson727
03-25-2009, 09:21 AM
I've found that yacht brite's Buff Magic works very well on oxidation. I've used it on some of my older boats (not on my current boat of course, with as much polish as it has, I shouldn't have to worry about oxidation for a long, long, long time) and it worked great. Very easy to apply and remove. (plus it tastes great :grin:, just like the elmers paste we used in kindergarten)

sprink56
03-25-2009, 09:27 AM
And if it is, how can I fix it? I tried to adjust the contrast of the pic so that you could see it. Its along the top side of the hull.

You have an easy fix with that one. Saturday AM with buffer & compound. As has been said "you should have seen mine when I first got it":smt101

Nehalennia
03-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Yes and like others have said, you should be able to get her back to shiny pretty quickly.
http://clubsearay.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=72&pictureid=431.jpg

sreill
03-25-2009, 11:58 AM
After further inspection, My gut is telling me that the dull spots are actually raw fiberglass and the shiny spots are the gel coat. Can it be possible that the gel coat has been worn away in spots? Ive been out there for the last hour and ive used oxidation remover, medium compound and heavy compound. It seems as though I am actually removing the shiny parts (Removing gel coat) and making everything uniformally dull. Here is another pic.

http://clubsearay.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=72&pictureid=432

H2ONUT
03-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Gelcoat is pretty thick, 3/16", you will see black and fibers if you wear thru...

Do you have any laquer thinner? If you do, try a small area with a little on a rag and see if it makes a difference.

You should also compound with a machine to get the shine back, by hand just dosen't work IMO.

Is this new to you or did you buy it new? Reason why I ask is because mine was very oxidized and no matter what I tried, I couldn't get it to snap back. I found out that the boat was previously coated with a clear coat to cover up the oxidized gelcoat. After a few years the clear coat gave way and exposed the oxidation. I had to wipe the boat down with laquer thinner and then wet sand to get the clear off so I could bring the gelcoat back.

sreill
03-25-2009, 01:46 PM
That makes sense, because it seems like a clear coat on the really shiny parts and I can actually scrape the shiny parts off with my fingernail. I have been using a machine btw. I am not seeing any black or fibers. I bought the boat used so it could have been clear coated. Is this a common thing to clear coat a boat?

Thanks for the replies so far.

H2ONUT
03-25-2009, 02:00 PM
No it's not a common thing. I can't remember the name of the stuff but it SUCKS if you ask me.

Get the laquer thinner and wipe it off, you might not have to wet sand. Once all the clear is off, go with the machine. You should get it back just fine.

sreill
03-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks H2O Nut. You are a life saver. After you mentioned the "clearcot" thing, I started thinking. So I called up the previous owner (crazy old guy with way too much time on his hands) He said that he used to go to auto barn and buy clear spray paint to "shine it up"

I know this is a family board so I wont type the words that I was thinking....

So, it makes me feel better that my gel coat isnt flaking off and its clear spray paint that it flaking off.

Now comes the job of removing all of the clear coat so that I can get down to the gel coat and start over.

Any reccomendations?

H2ONUT
03-25-2009, 02:23 PM
The laquer thinner will remove it. Just be careful around decals and other plastic or rubber.

Nehalennia
03-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Yeah, be careful with laquer thinner. you don't want it to sit on the gel coat and soften it. I'm not sure if Acetone will take off the 'spray' (that was a bad idea). You may want to go find the can of this stuff and then contact them to properly remove it from fiberglass with no damage. Then you can have a good time polishing her up properly.

H2ONUT
03-25-2009, 02:45 PM
Acetone did not work for what I had on there. The laquer thinner was the only thing that worked.

Nehalennia
03-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Acetone did not work for what I had on there. The laquer thinner was the only thing that worked.

Yeah I agree, I just don't want him leaving it on there long.

H2ONUT
03-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Gotta love it... High Gloss rattle can :smt021

Nehalennia
03-25-2009, 03:41 PM
Gotta love it... High Gloss rattle can :smt021

Yeah, I'd be fuming.

sreill
03-25-2009, 04:14 PM
I think Im just going to leave it. I messed around for the last 2 hours and I think it would take a good week with me out there 8 hrs a day to get it done. Maybe mother nature could help me out this summer with some uv rays and salt water.

H2ONUT
03-25-2009, 04:42 PM
I'll bet it takes less than 2 hours to clean with the thinner.

Buffing and waxing, yeah, an entire weekend...

sfergson727
03-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Almost sounds like someone used Vertglas on it.

http://www.vertglas.com/index.html

The good news is that it can be removed, if this is in fact what was used.

sreill
03-25-2009, 06:16 PM
May be the only time when I wish I bought a 17 footer and not a 27 footer. Oh, and when I am towing it too.

Jimmy Buoy
03-25-2009, 07:36 PM
The clear coat stuff that I've seen is called "Poly-Glow" and it can be removed with amonia. Horrible stuff!

If the previous owner says he used a spray paint can - it's not "Poly-Glow" or the similar product "vertglas".

Sounds like you'll have arms like Popeye when your done!:smt013

I'd be :smt021

sfergson727
03-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Oh man, I missed the post where you described him spraying it from a can. That's bad.....

I hope you are able to get removed. Sounds like you should bake the previous owner up a big moose turd pie and serve it to him warm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSlPJOfnJZk

MarineClean/Leverage
03-25-2009, 11:35 PM
Just saw this thread. I replied to your one in General. I thought it was something similar to Poli, but it sounds worse.

Everyone is steering you right with the thinner.

After you get a section done then try to hit it with the buffer and see what she does. If No shine then wetsanding looks like it will be on your menu.

Sorry to hear about what the previous owner did. Sounds like he's a pledge furniture polish on fiberglass kind of guy. :smt100

sreill
03-26-2009, 07:44 AM
I think wet sanding may be the way to go, but I am not to sure that I want to take sand paper to my boat. It scares me

H2ONUT
03-26-2009, 08:15 AM
All you should need is 800 or 1000. Keep it wet and you'll be fine. Keep it flat and go slow working in small areas. Time consuming but well worth the end result.

Donnie, Leverage vs 3M vs Meguires vs all others... What makes the Leverage product better? Not being a dink, just curious...

Has anyone used the Leverage products here on the board? (Sorry for the HiJack)

tdappleman
03-26-2009, 08:20 AM
Not to defend Poliglow but I've had good luck with it. I know it's not for everyone but it does work and takes my maintenance down to almost zero. I'm using it because I just do not have the time to use conventional methods. I owned an auto detailing shop at one time and still keep my cars looking like new but the boat is just too much. If you ever need to remove Poliglow you can use their Poliprep and just spray it and wipe it down then wash the area to remove the prep.

You have a clear coat from a spray can which can be removed by lacquer thinner as others have mentioned and any areas which may be thicker than other can be wetsanded out. If you wetsand you will need to machine polish afterwards to get the sanding marks out and brighten up the gelcoat.

Hampton
03-26-2009, 08:25 AM
See Leverage Post - Coming Soon.

H2ONUT
03-26-2009, 08:29 AM
See Leverage Post - Coming Soon.

:thumbsup: