PDA

View Full Version : Underwater Lights

Petep
11-06-2006, 10:28 AM
Anyone istalled a set of these? I'm seeing more and more of these lights appearing on "normal size" boats ..not just the mega-yachts. Any tips on how many needed, install, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Oh Me!! - 280 DA
11-06-2006, 10:59 AM
That will be our Christmas present to the Oh Me!! I would also be interested in kinds, installation tips, costs, etc! They really look great when anchored out!

widowmaker
11-06-2006, 12:20 PM
On the old SRO forum some guys were using "pond lights" as an inexpensive alternative. Apparently they work on 12 volts.

BOEmarine
11-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Underwater lights are a very cool addition to any boat. They have been coming down in price nicely too. We basically offer 3 styles of them. The easiest to install is a surface mounted light that mounts similar to a transom mounted transducer. If you have limited access to your transom from the inside this is a nice way to go. Then there are two types of thru-hull lights, one is flush mounted and the other protrudes from the surface but requires a smaller hole than the flush version. All come in various wattages.

UNDERWATER LIGHTS (http://www.byownerelectronics.com/store/home.php?cat=915&partner=boemarine)

Petep
11-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the reply, but tell me the difference between Xenon and Halogen vs. the LED lights that I saw you sell. My freinds that have these have all spend alot on them and said you "get what you pay for". Which have come down in price - all three types? Are two enough? I have seen three on most the bigger boats. I want the bulbs to be replaceable from INSIDE the enging room-are the ones you sell that way? How do I install these? Circle hole saw & 5200????
Thanks

BOEmarine
11-06-2006, 01:08 PM
They install just like a thru-hull transducer. You can use 5200 if you want, but 4200 is plenty sufficient. As far as replacing the bulbs from the inside? I think the flush mount version of this light can do that but I'm not sure. They will last for something like 60,000 hrs so if you forgot to turn them off one day you would need to come back 6 years later to see one burned out. I am not well versed enough on halogen vs xenon vs LED to tell you the pros and cons of each but Ocean LED put together a good FAQ on their lights: http://www.oceanled.com/new_site1/faq.html

They do a comparison of Xenon and Halogen lights in the FAQ.

slack250
11-28-2006, 10:27 AM
I went for a slightly cheaper version, and used 1 w. white LED sealed lights from www.plasmaled.com

They work great!

thunderbird1
11-28-2006, 02:29 PM
We have factory-installed underwater lights on our 260. They add a certain cool factor at night, but to be honest we haven't used them much.

As I didn't receive any documentation in my manual packet, I have no idea what product the factory installed. Anyone know what brand Sea Ray uses?

DiMisa1977
11-28-2006, 03:11 PM
this is an option i am gonna opt for, anyone have any pics of THEIR boats illuminated at night?

ylwjacket
01-25-2007, 07:33 PM
how do you wire those? do you run a wire from the platform all the way to the helm switches?

Robski97
02-04-2007, 12:04 PM
Guys i dont know if the subject is dead ... But i have 2 HID 55watt installed . They are BRIGHT!!!!

But remember the lenses have to cleaned of growth regularly ... and the clarity of the water ur in... If ur in pea soup... well guess what... u dont see anyting ...

IMHO the HID's are most costly but give us outstanding clear white light. the Halogens less money and less bright. LEDS are the cheapest and gice off the least light.

But again ... Wattage is a factor , # of lights installed.

I have 2 on my 44. I have seen 3 but only with LEDS.

If ur just looking to light up the transom for looks .. LEDS will be fine..

THE HIDS cast the furthest light. LEDS the least

Rob

slack250
02-04-2007, 06:11 PM
Robski is correct. The LEDs I have are mounted under the swim platform, firing down. They do an excellent job of illuminating the swimplatform above the water and do penetrate the water a bit which does bring up some fishes, etc. They aren't mounted on the transom nor are they "underwater", but the ones I purchased are sealed and waterproof, I might test a few out underwater and see what they do.

Also, I do not have a genset so I didn't want high draw lights sucking the juice out of my batts and didn't want to have the enging going the whole time, so LEDs were the answer to my needs. I can leave them on all night with no problems. :thumbsup:

Dave S
02-04-2007, 06:38 PM
I taped two flashlights to my swim platform with duct tape. :smt043 :smt043 :smt043

I got the idea from some Canbote folks! :grin: :wink:

What's that.........you don't believe me? :huh:

slack250
02-05-2007, 04:56 AM
uh uh.... nope. :smt015

Petep
02-23-2007, 11:06 PM
OK, still working on which lights to get for my boat, My wife wants Blue LED's The 2010's on BOE's site look like white only. Can you get these in Blue? The one's with the (only) 1" hole look like you cannot change any bulbs/elements from the engine room. Looked at some at the Miami boat show from Austriala made by Aqualuma. They looked nice for the money ($800 each). My dealer says he will put some Perkos in for me, but they don't look like they have enough light output for us. The Perko's are also white only. Tough decisions here on this one 'cause when you drill these holes, In they go and you live with them! How many do you recomend I need for my 460 w/a lift platform. Don't tell me 6 cause these things are expensive!

osd9
02-24-2007, 08:16 AM
Hey Pete....you could duct tape two dive lights under your platform and then lower the platform....instant underwater lights..... :grin: ...oh oh...may be patent infringement on Dave S.....

On a serious note, with the hydraulic platform, you seem to have a different issue to be concerned with....the one that comes to mind, is aesthetics....As I remember....and don't take this the wrong way......the hydraulics aren't exactly something pretty to highlight.... the ones that I've seen, especially as the season progresses...so does the growth on the underwater "stuff".

but, on the other hand...it will certainly have you diving under more ofter to keep things clean.... :grin:

Petep
02-24-2007, 11:10 AM
Dom, you think I let something "grow" on our baby. That's how we cool off in the summer - swimming with a brush! Really, in the fresh water we don;t have a problem and the fact that our boat is always on the move helps too!

Petep
03-18-2007, 08:34 PM
It looks like we have found the right underwater lights for our boat. We learned a lot at the Miami Boat Show and liked what we saw and learned from Carl the inventor/owner of Aqualuma LED lights. At first we didn’t like the idea of purchasing from a company out of Australia. But our local marine store just picked up the line and we have ordered 3 AquaLuma, wide angle blue lights. These lights can be wired 12v or 24v, no additional driver is needed and draw less than .4 amps each (at 12v). Hopefully, by next weekend we will have them installed.

First Born
03-18-2007, 10:18 PM
You know we will want to see pictures :grin:

Wesley

slack250
03-19-2007, 02:41 AM
Here's the link incase anyone else is interested:

www.aqualuma.com

Petep
03-21-2007, 10:19 AM
Dom, Here's what I did, I used a 60mm (2 3/8") whole saw with a good, strong, 1/2" electric drill (Milwaukee) with a T-handle (didn't want that holesaw to get away from me while cutting). I'm very lucky because my wife is great at these projects-she went into the engine room with a ruler and I knew where we wanted to place these holes so I just told her to make sure they were "up and over" so many inches so she could make sure that there would be no surprises. We measure twice and then talked about any potential surprises and even moved the center light hole down 2" from where I thought it was going to go to make sure the light back flange would fit etc. I then drilled a small pilot hole w/my cordless-figuring that I could modify my large hole from that If I didn't like where it showed up inside (modify it by 1-1/2 inch only).
Everything was fine on the pilot hole so no movement was needed. The rest is easy - Drill away!- I then mixed up some West system and put it around the hole incase there were any voids in layout to prevent de-lam. Remember, this is important- My boat has no wood core! This is a solid layup- I know this and I still called SR to Confirm w/the HIN # of my boat. I also used my palm sander and knocked down all the bottom paint around the hole to make sure the "flange" of my lights will be on glass only. Tonight I just apply my Bostich (comes with my lights) Sealant and complete my install. I am going with 3 lights, however, I think I will be adding 2 more at a later date and am wiring as such with a bus terminal to isolate my wireing on each light and potential to add more in the future.
Don't ask me why I don't just add more now- These things are expensive!

osd9
03-21-2007, 11:08 AM
.....I'm very lucky because my wife is great at these projects-she went into the engine room with a ruler and I knew where we wanted to place these holes so I just told her to make sure they were "up and over" so many inches so she could make sure that there would be no surprises. ....

WOW....my wife doesn't even know what color the ER is!!!! As a matter of fact, if she saw it, she would probably want me to paint it something other than gray.... :grin:

I should be pinging you next spring. Hopefully by then I'll be ready to put a few UW lights in....post some pics when your done. :thumbsup: ....Oh....and watch your "out gassing" in the tight quarters of the ER... :smt043

thanks,

Hampton
07-07-2007, 05:40 PM
How's the progress? I understand that my 2005 340 should already be wired, and the "Aft Accessory" switch should operate them? How are the blue LED's? That's the way I think I would like to go. Is it possible to do this in the water? Mine would be about a foot above the water.

If the boat is already wired, where does it end?

Morpheus
07-07-2007, 06:15 PM
I know who the rich people are now! :smt101

http://www.rivermarinesupply.com/xcart/catalog/product_12090_Aqualuma_Underwater_Lighting_The_6__ Series.html

MSRP 1364.58 for 1 light?

Sure they look nice but it's that a bit absurd?

Website says they are made in the US too not in Australia.

Bridog
07-07-2007, 07:22 PM
MSRP 1364.58 for 1 light?

Sure they look nice but it's that a bit absurd?

Website says they are made in the US too not in Australia. I looked on the website and they are having a sale now. Only 1249.00. Now it's a bargain!! :lol: Hampton... see your other post.

earthmover17
01-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Hi, I am new to the site so be easy on me please. I have a 560 sedan bridge I just had out for a bottom job. While it was out I had underwater lights installed. I am now trying to figure the best way to wire them they are 12 volt. Does anyone know if sea ray possibly ran extra wires anywhere or am I just dreaming.:smt100

Pirate
01-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Hi, I am new to the site so be easy on me please. I have a 560 sedan bridge I just had out for a bottom job. While it was out I had underwater lights installed. I am now trying to figure the best way to wire them they are 12 volt. Does anyone know if sea ray possibly ran extra wires anywhere or am I just dreaming.:smt100

Dreaming definitely. :smt001. There are a lot of options for wiring the underwater lights. Power source could be the 12v panel by installing a new 12v breaker or you could go directly to a battery bank (with a fuse in line, of course). A lot people have gone directly to their bow thruster batteries. Since your lights are 12v, you would only wire to 1 battery. If you want to switch the lights locally, you will need a relay.

Wayne's World
01-04-2008, 10:36 AM
$59ea,I bought 4 of them,:smt001 .They go on the trim tabs

http://i11.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/c8/0f/db96_2.JPG

Hampton
01-08-2008, 02:54 PM
I just ordered the Barnegat Lights http://www.consumersmarine.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Barnegat_Light_Swim_Platform_Lig ht&cname=Marine-Electrical&r=view&i=24927&aID=41 . I know they're not the most expensive in the world, but they are do-able, and my goal is to attract some fish and see what's down there, not attract the Coast Guard. My SR dealer is going to bolt them on for me, then I'll wire them from inside the bilge.

TimC
01-08-2008, 04:05 PM
I just ordered the Barnegat Lights http://www.consumersmarine.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Barnegat_Light_Swim_Platform_Lig ht&cname=Marine-Electrical&r=view&i=24927&aID=41 . I know they're not the most expensive in the world, but they are do-able, and my goal is to attract some fish and see what's down there, not attract the Coast Guard. My SR dealer is going to bolt them on for me, then I'll wire them from inside the bilge.

My slip neighbor installed these under his swim platform on his 340da and wired them through the hull.

They look great. These LED underwater lights are EXPENSIVE!!

Lake Erie Boater
01-08-2008, 04:30 PM
When you say under the swim platform, are you mounting them to the transom (underwater) facing aft, or are you mounting them to the bottom of the platform facing down?

TimC
01-08-2008, 04:54 PM

Where did you find these I can only find ones tthat are like $900 for two pairs.

TimC
01-08-2008, 04:56 PM
When you say under the swim platform, are you mounting them to the transom (underwater) facing aft, or are you mounting them to the bottom of the platform facing down?
My friend mounted his to the bottom of his swim platform facing down. Then he ran the wires through the hull in a hole he drilled above the waterline then filled with sealant.

Hampton
01-08-2008, 05:08 PM
My slip neighbor installed these under his swim platform on his 340da and wired them through the hull.

They look great. These LED underwater lights are EXPENSIVE!!

Thanks - I've wanted them for a long time, and now that it's out of the water for a couple of weeks, I wanted to get it done.

I looked at another '05 340 with SR's optional lights and they were all the way down toward the water on the swim platform before it curves to a vertical wall on the transom. They were evenly space inside of the area defined by the swim ladder on the port side. Remember, this is a molded swim platform. It angles down toward the water at about 50 degrees - doorbell.

Hampton
01-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Nope, not UPS, yet. The lights will point down and back.

Hampton
01-08-2008, 06:56 PM
UPS came. The lights are angled 20 degrees, so you can aim them. The boat I saw today (05 340) had them angled out slightly. They have the same bulb as the stock lights - GE 12V Halogen.

Hampton
01-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Here are the lights. They attracted dozens of fish and one big bird that enjoyed snacking on them, one at a time. The lights are much brighter than I expected. There is some reflection with them mounted above the water, but I think it's worth it to keep them clean and to get the right angles.

PMvdb395DA
01-22-2008, 10:52 AM
Where did you find these I can only find ones tthat are like $900 for two pairs.

I like to know this also.

Peter

Hampton
01-22-2008, 11:16 AM
Look here:

http://www.consumersmarine.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=24927&cID=CSHOPZ

More Reading:

http://clubsearay.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6488

http://clubsearay.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6462

PMvdb395DA
01-22-2008, 12:07 PM

Sorry John,

I mean these lights for $59

Aldo I think it's a advance to install them above the waterline...

But $59 :grin:

Peter

Hampton
01-22-2008, 01:37 PM
OOps, sorry.

charlg
01-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Sorry John,

I mean these lights for $59

But $59 :grin:

Peter

Looks like Ebay has them, and they're $159 (not $59).
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Underwater-lights-fish-bait-dock-marine-swim-boat-light_W0QQitemZ110217251491QQcmdZViewItem?hash=ite m110217251491

Wayne's World
01-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Buy 4 of them,He'll sell them to you for $59 ea. He did me. :thumbsup: Edit= I see he boosted his price up .When i got mine he was only asking $129 a pair

Taradise
01-23-2008, 09:12 AM
I like to lights Charlie has posted...I like the idea of installing them on the trim tabs - and I am getting ready to install a GPS/Sonar so why not run these wires thru the same whole as my transducer? I guess I could route them to my aux/accy switch huh?

Daniel P Thomas
01-23-2008, 09:43 AM
How did you mount the $59 lights to the trim tabs?
I favorited the e bay site for future reference.

Taradise
01-23-2008, 11:41 AM
I know the attached is a different brand of light but this is kind of how i thought I would install them on the trim tabs...

Taradise
01-23-2008, 12:23 PM
now that i look at my trim tabs....they are angled to match the Vee of the boat so mounting them flush on the trim tab would point the light out at an angle, not directly behind the boat like I think I want...I guess I will need to figure out a shim or something or maybe bend the mounting brackets equally

Hampton
01-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Here are the lights. They attracted dozens of fish and one big bird that enjoyed snacking on them, one at a time. The lights are much brighter than I expected. There is some reflection with them mounted above the water, but I think it's worth it to keep them clean and to get the right angles.

Can I get a "Congrats" or "Hey looks good" or "Not my choice of lights, but I'm sure it works for you" or something? Lights seem to be a hot topic, and I've wanted them for a year and finally got them. I think they're pretty cool and really recommend them. The point behind the pictures is answering other's questions about why on earth someone would spend money on underwater lights. It's all about nature.

I plan on putting a camera back there and wiring it to the TV's on board. I have a salt water tank at home, and just love to look in the water. Now I'll be able to do it while sitting back and sipping a cool one.

Taradise
01-24-2008, 10:13 AM
I plan on putting a camera back there and wiring it to the TV's on board. I have a salt water tank at home, and just love to look in the water. Now I'll be able to do it while sitting back and sipping a cool one.

I think they are GREAT and I am a little jealous ;-)
very nice job!

Wayne's World
01-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Oops sorry,Hampton, I didn't see your pics untill now, Very nice . http://forums.pcpitstop.com/style_emoticons/New_emoticons/beer.gif

Hampton
01-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Thank you guys for humoring me. I really do like them.

CSR_Admin
01-24-2008, 04:13 PM
Abyss has a whole line-up of LED underwater lights that are affordable. We have them listed here: http://www.byownerelectronics.com/store/search.php?mode=search&page=1

There is a guy on this site that build underwater lights, i think it is Hurley. There are some bad brands of trim tab lights out there too so make sure you know what you are getting into. Here is a thread on THT from a guy that got burned with some el cheapo trim tab mounted lights: http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=165308&start=1&highlight=underwater+lights+beware&highlightmode=1

Robski97
01-24-2008, 04:32 PM
HID lights

Riptide III
01-28-2008, 09:09 PM
WOW Jim! Thanks, you just saved me some money. Time for plan "B"
Phil

boater4life
01-29-2008, 04:43 AM
The imitations and pirates of this design have given a lot of people a bad taste.

Being the original designer with the patent pending design of the trim tab lights we have always stated your stainless steel housings and brackets should be coated. We suggest using PropSpeed by Detco if they are going to be immersed in salt water. Even trim tabs are painted. No metal should be uncoated in a corrosive environment!

Additionally, we believe in this design so much that we now have taken it a step further by redesigning the housing in a Polyvinyl Chloride (pvc) model. It is a tough, chemically resistant synthetic resin made by polymerizing vinyl chloride. This beauty is lightweight, resists corrosion and electrolysis. The brackets are powder coated to help withstand harsh environments. The best part is that they are cheaper in cost than the stainless steel version.

Nautically,

Todd Hurley
Hurley Marine, Inc.

Taradise
02-06-2008, 08:31 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Underwater-lights-fish-bait-dock-marine-swim-boat-light_W0QQitemZ110217251491QQcmdZViewItem?hash=ite m110217251491

Have you (or anyone else...) purchased these lights and installed them? If so, how do you like them and how well are they holding up? Looking for some decent lights at a good price that wont fall apart or rust/deteriorate...

everthing's irie
02-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Our dealer just installled lights under our swim platform on our 290da. they point down and slightly out. they tell us we'll get about a 10 ft radius. We turned them on tonight in the slip and they looked cool! they are wired into our #2 accessory switch

boltman
02-26-2008, 08:42 PM
I will be the first to admit , Hurly trim tab underwater lights are "the best". I have them on my 320 and I get a lot more then 10' of illumination. More like 25 feet.
I will also be purchasing more lights from hurley Marine, maybe the center drain hole light, but I'm looking into ways of mounting a full set of 2 trim tab lights in the center to give it even a larger more clear spectrum of light... to light up the whole back end.

boater4life
02-27-2008, 04:47 AM
Boltman:

Give me a hail and I'll give you some ideas on how to fill that void. Sharp vessel!

Todd

SeaHarley
03-26-2008, 09:17 AM
Beware.........

Well it seams that "boater4life" is a bit upset with my new inovative design and installation of water fountain lights.
As he has sent me the following threatening "Private Message".

"Please be advised that Todd Hurley of Hurley Marine, Inc. is the legal owner of this U.S. Patent Pending trim tab light design and that your product, as identified is an infringement on this design.

Please be advised that you may be accessed a royalty fee for each sale of this item from a declaratory judgment action. If you wish to continue to sell this item we will have to agree upon a license agreement.

A formal letter may follow.

Todd Hurley
Hurley Marine, Inc."

wkearney99
03-26-2008, 11:13 AM
Patents, like any other intellectual property, do require owners to make good faith efforts to maintain them. They can't just allow infringement to occur without putting their ownership at risk.

Fortunately patents expire and eventually the market comes up with a wider range of cost effective solutions.

Hampton
03-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Beware.........

Well it seams that "boater4life" is a bit upset with my new inovative design and installation of water fountain lights.
As he has sent me the following threatening "Private Message".

"Please be advised that Todd Hurley of Hurley Marine, Inc. is the legal owner of this U.S. Patent Pending trim tab light design and that your product, as identified is an infringement on this design.

Please be advised that you may be accessed a royalty fee for each sale of this item from a declaratory judgment action. If you wish to continue to sell this item we will have to agree upon a license agreement.

A formal letter may follow.

Todd Hurley
Hurley Marine, Inc."

Sounds formal, accurate, and direct, but not threatening. It is appropriate. That's the American way. Find a new variant which does not meet the guidelines of the patent, and run with it.

Wayne's World
03-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlg http://clubsearay.com/forum/images/styles/clubsea/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://clubsearay.com/forum/showthread.php?p=72282#post72282)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Under...em110217251491 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Underwater-lights-fish-bait-dock-marine-swim-boat-light_W0QQitemZ110217251491QQcmdZViewItem?hash=ite m110217251491)

Have you (or anyone else...) purchased these lights and installed them? If so, how do you like them and how well are they holding up? Looking for some decent lights at a good price that wont fall apart or rust/deteriorate...
I'll be putting mine on in 2 wks. and I boat in fresh water only. :thumbsup: . Edit: I see he raised the price again to $169.00 apair. He's getting too greedy..:smt021

CSR_Admin
03-26-2008, 01:46 PM
We don't need legal stuff going on behind the scenes on this forum. It is also in bad taste to post the contents of a PM. Any more posts about these "Hurley Style" lights by boaterforlife or seaharley will be deleted. I would like to keep this thread alive but will delete it if this stuff continues.

trade wins
04-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Does anyone on this board know how to connect the underwater lights (swim platform) to the acc1 or acc2 switch on a 2005 280da? Just bought a pair of lights and im trying to hook it up the right way. I think the acc2 is 15amp so it should be fine, just dont want to rip the whole boat apart searching for the right wire in the helm...... would appreciate feed back.

gary
trade wins
2005 280 da
florida

Hampton
04-22-2008, 09:12 AM
Does anyone on this board know how to connect the underwater lights (swim platform) to the acc1 or acc2 switch on a 2005 280da? Just bought a pair of lights and im trying to hook it up the right way. I think the acc2 is 15amp so it should be fine, just dont want to rip the whole boat apart searching for the right wire in the helm...... would appreciate feed back.

gary
trade wins
2005 280 da
florida

I did this on my 340. I pulled out the owner's manual and found the electrical schematic which applies to those switches. I learned the color pattern on the wire, and found the wire dead-ended in the bilge on the foward wall in a bundle of wires as indicated on the schematic (see related thread). That was the hot wire. I wired it to the hot wire on the lights. Then, I grounded the lights back to a grounding bus in the same area. Switch on = lights on.

trade wins
04-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Thanks John, did you find the wires on the port side or starboard side of bilge? Did you have to go into the helm to figure out color scheme, trace back to acc1 or acc2 switch?

Thanks Gary

jtm311
04-22-2008, 12:48 PM
I ran new wires all the way from the ACC1 switch back to the lights. I took the power from the fuse block under the Steering wheel. Make sure you use Boat wiring. Don't go to home depot.

John

Hampton
04-22-2008, 05:11 PM
I found them on the stbd side, directly above the stbd transmission. I didn't trace them from the helm, except on paper in the schematics.

trade wins
04-23-2008, 08:58 AM
Thanks again, i bought the Barnegat under swim platform lights, but im planning on mounting them on the transom. I called Barnegat and said it would be fine there.

Gary

jtm311
04-23-2008, 10:20 AM
Good Luck Gary.. I'm sure you will be happy with them.

John

Hampton
10-29-2008, 11:38 AM
Here they are running, slowing, and stopped at the dock.

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp120/TheHamptons1/09-28-08_1909.jpg

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp120/TheHamptons1/09-28-08_1901.jpg

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp120/TheHamptons1/01-21-08_1927.jpg

Hampton
10-29-2008, 01:09 PM
http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp120/TheHamptons1/th_MVI_2693.jpg (http://s403.photobucket.com/albums/pp120/TheHamptons1/?action=view&current=MVI_2693.flv)

Robski97
10-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Love the running shot.... Nice clean water u got there...

Rob

chuck1
10-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Cool video John, I keep waiting for Jaws to show up. :-)

Hampton
10-29-2008, 10:04 PM
cool video john, i keep waiting for jaws to show up. :-)

8 0

fwebster
10-29-2008, 10:17 PM
I've seen several types of underwater lights on both new and used boat at our marina. By far the best approach is the lights made of a one piece bronze housing set in the transom. They are servicable from the interior of the transom...I've seen 3, 5 and 7 light applications. Our dealer gets about $650 ea. for the lights so it isn't for the faint of pocketbook. By far the coolest one has blue lights and has 5 on the transom and one on each side of the hull about 2' forward of the transom. Finding that guy at night just ain't a problem.

These light housing do mount like transducers, but don't use just 5200 on a 460DA. Most 46's have coring in almost every place you will mount a light, so be sure you have the core fully glassed in before you saw the final hole for the light. Then you can bed with 5200. Pilot drill for the hole saw first in the center of each light location and you can see if the area is cored.

Jaws
10-31-2008, 06:58 PM
I had three of the Perko bronze underwater "50" lights installed on the transom last winter in our 460DA. The dealer consulted with Sea Ray prior to installation and I obtained the resulting transom laminate samples. Each sample averaged around 25mm thick and there were two baltek? core laminations at 2mm each surrounded by solid 'glass. The core material in the hole was removed and 'glassed or epoxied (I forget). After curing, the lights were embedded with 5200 and tightened into place. The job was well done and the bulbs are accessible from inside as Frank mentioned, if they ever have to be changed.

The lights are a nice addition to the boat, we use them often and I think they are available for about $350@. In fresh water the green filters look great. Although the LED's might perform better, the question is "How much do you want to spend?". I'll post a photo of the transom core if anyone is interested.

James

Hampton
11-02-2008, 06:31 PM
I just listened to my video. I didn't know it had music, or a fish bubbling sound. I was listening to Triumph when I video'd the fish. That music is coming from the boat. The bubble/splash is from a fish.

malajoy
02-02-2010, 03:05 PM
I know it is not a Sea Ray, but check out this guy's custom underwater lighting he did on his 1972 Chris Craft 35' Commander.

Here is a link is the CommanderClub.com page, and pictures and editorial on underwater lighting are at the bottom of this page.

http://www.commanderclub.com/

This link is directly to this guy's photo album:

http://picasaweb.google.com/ggajcak

Rono007
02-02-2010, 03:31 PM
I am definitely going to get some light installed on my 2001 230BR before the season starts. Just have to talk to MarineMax here and see what they offer.

DougLas
02-06-2010, 08:20 AM
I have designed and tested 48LED underwater lights on my 39 ft Sea Ray Express that are made of polycarbonate plastic. They are a fully sealed unit that can be mounted on the outside of the boat transom or under the swim platform.
Since I am a boater myself I realize the voltage variances in boating do to generators and battery chargers. LED’s hate voltage spikes so these units have an exclusive patented circuitry to protect against over-current and can be operated at 12, 18, or 24 volts. If they see to much voltage they will simply dim down and then come back to full power.
LED’s will last for 50,000 hrs.
These lights are high powered LED lights; they are available in green, blue or white.

For anyone that is a member of the Sea Ray Club they are available for $50.00 dollars each
plus shipping.

Rono007
02-06-2010, 08:55 AM
I have designed and tested 48LED underwater lights on my 39 ft Sea Ray Express that are made of polycarbonate plastic. They are a fully sealed unit that can be mounted on the outside of the boat transom or under the swim platform.
Since I am a boater myself I realize the voltage variances in boating do to generators and battery chargers. LED’s hate voltage spikes so these units have an exclusive patented circuitry to protect against over-current and can be operated at 12, 18, or 24 volts. If they see to much voltage they will simply dim down and then come back to full power.
These lights are high powered LED lights; they are available in green, blue or white.

For anyone that is a member of the Sea Ray Club they are available for $50.00 dollars each
plus shipping.

Doug ... Do you have any pics that you can post?

I'm not sure if I want the lights mounted at the transome or under the swim platform. I'm thinking the platform will be a cleaner install and easier maintanence.

Thanks in advance!

electricaldoctor
02-06-2010, 09:32 AM

plus shipping.

Where is your web site?

~Ken

Russ Calasant
02-06-2010, 01:38 PM
Found some LEDs here too http://www.plasmaled.com/high_power_module.htm

DougLas
02-06-2010, 02:54 PM
I will post pictures of the 48 LED lights and demension.
As for a web site these are brand new to the market; even though they have been tested for over 2 years.
I even have the blue lights attached to my car so when the fog lights are on they are on too. This was another test to be sure they would not over heat when run out of water. I will send pics of the LED's on the front of the car.
The ones on my car have run flawless; I have been asked by other car owners if they can buy them for their car. I did not expect that, I was only testing them.

These are ultra bright LED's I recomend not to look into them when light.

Rono007
02-07-2010, 10:28 AM
The sooner the better on the details and information. I am making my purchase in the next 4 weeks so I can install in March before the first splash. Not sure if 48 is too many for my 25' LOA 230 BR.

DougLas
02-08-2010, 11:28 AM
I put up pictures of the 48 LED lights on the modification site. You will see that they are made of high quality plastic; reason for this is to avoid corrosion that can happen with the other metal alloy ones. Also these are fully sealed so they will not leak. As I have stated on the other site there is some sealer that protruded through by the lights it will not hurt anything during the assembly there was just too much sealer used.
This is why this run of lights are being sold for $50.00 instead of $90.00
And they are underwater or under a swim platform so who will see them up close once they are installed

Russ Calasant
02-08-2010, 06:54 PM
I put up pictures of the 48 LED lights on the modification site. You will see that they are made of high quality plastic; reason for this is to avoid corrosion that can happen with the other metal alloy ones. Also these are fully sealed so they will not leak. As I have stated on the other site there is some sealer that protruded through by the lights it will not hurt anything during the assembly there was just too much sealer used.
This is why this run of lights are being sold for $50.00 instead of $90.00
And they are underwater or under a swim platform so who will see them up close once they are installed

Where is the site?

Rono007
02-08-2010, 08:51 PM
Russ ... He put some pics in the Modifications/Customizations (http://clubsearay.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46) forum.

Russ Calasant
02-09-2010, 10:00 AM
Russ ... He put some pics in the Modifications/Customizations (http://clubsearay.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46) forum.

Thanks, but no way to order them?

DougLas
02-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Russ contact us on the private message board. We are working on the web site for the lights.

tobnpr
02-19-2010, 07:50 AM
Think twice about mounting any u/w lights without glass lenses on boats that are wet-slipped.

Rono007
02-19-2010, 08:57 AM
Mine will be wet-slipped. Still haven't found anything and still unsure of mounting to underthe swim platform facing down, or on the transom facing back.

tobnpr
02-19-2010, 03:13 PM
On a lake?
Probably no big deal, all you get is algae.

The hard growth we get around here would scratch the hell out of an acrylic light getting it off.

I have to use a steel putty knife to get the tubeworms and barnacles off mine- and that's diving the boat every couple of weeks in the summer.

Hy-Flyer
02-26-2010, 02:23 AM
Installed AbyssLites on a 38DA. Lots of lights and man are they cool :thumbsup:

jrock1062
02-27-2010, 07:27 PM
I was looking at these no through hull drilling

http://www.hurleymarine.com/Tab_Lights.html

Russ Calasant
02-27-2010, 08:58 PM
I was looking at these no through hull drilling

http://www.hurleymarine.com/Tab_Lights.html

Jrock, A friend of mine put those on his 30DA and loves them, had it up north for a while but just moved to Florida.

I bought 3 AL75H from www.aqualights.org (http://www.aqualights.org) but have not installed them yet. Paid them $600 through EBay including shipping.

Summer Fun II
03-01-2010, 04:50 PM
I paid 21.95 each for these. I also bought the blue bulbs for $8.00 each :grin:
I boat in fresh waters so they should last awhile. :smt038
Light set includes:
• Fiber-composite watertight fixture
• 50 watt (clear) MR-16 Halogen bulb
• 15' feet of powercord
http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/albums/album893/underwater_lights.jpg

electricaldoctor
03-01-2010, 06:25 PM
I paid 21.95 each for these. I also bought the blue bulbs for $8.00 each :grin:
I boat in fresh waters so they should last awhile. :smt038
Light set includes:
• Fiber-composite watertight fixture
• 50 watt (clear) MR-16 Halogen bulb
• 15' feet of powercord
http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/albums/album893/underwater_lights.jpg

Where did you get these?

Summer Fun II
03-01-2010, 06:29 PM
PM me because I can't put a link to it . Do to a vendor that supports this site :smt001

Sparkey600
03-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Slack250 I like the light but I have one question, when you installed them did you have to bond the aluminum light to the bonding bus in the boat [ # 10 green wire to zinc ]

tobnpr
03-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Keep in mind that if you use "trim tab" type lights the boat needs to be out-of-water to do any work on them. On bigger boats that are wet-slipped, it could cost you $300 to change a light bulb...

Summer Fun II
03-03-2010, 03:52 PM
What !! $300 dollars to change a light bulb ???. :smt021
Wow I'm glad I don't stay at your marina.

I can use the marina's travel-lift as many times as want to for FREE. :smt038

tobnpr
03-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Yup...$300 for a short-haul.

Rono007
04-06-2010, 07:58 AM
I got my boat in the water over the past weekend and was really bummed that I remembered to take pictures of the 48 LED blue lights I installed AFTER I had it slipped in the marina!

DOH!

I installed one on each side of the outdrive on the transom facing back for a total of 2 lights.

I haven't been down there at night yet, so I don't know what they look like lit yet. I WILL post pics of that when I do. I also have 2 more in case those don't do the job.

firecadet613
05-01-2010, 09:48 PM
I'm almost done installing two Oznium and two PlasmaLED lights. A flood on each side, and two spots in the middle. They are on the underside of the swim platform. I'm VERY impressed, can't wait to see how it looks in the water. I drilled a hole through the transom above the water line, and turns out there was two extra hot and ground wires behind the two blank accessory spots on my helm. I've got just over $100 in it, including the cable tracks to hide the wiring. Not a bad bang for the buck mod if you ask me.
http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu167/225sundowner/IMG_3651.jpg
http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu167/225sundowner/IMG_3652.jpg
http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu167/225sundowner/IMG_3653.jpg
http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu167/225sundowner/IMG_3654.jpg
http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu167/225sundowner/IMG_3655.jpg

Alibuma
05-02-2010, 09:17 PM
I am about to order some of the Oznium LEDs also and was trying to decide where to mount - under the platform or on the trim tabs. Will you report back how well under the platform works in the water?

firecadet613
05-02-2010, 09:32 PM
Will do. If you're interested, I have two white ones I didn't use. PM me if you want them.

jpk33 has them under his, and I think they look great. Look at his signature pic and you'll see them.

scootdogg
04-05-2011, 08:24 PM
i am installing 3 ocean led A6's as we speak. blue in color... pictures coming soon

wakeup 19
04-06-2011, 06:28 AM
Looks good Would love to see pictures of them in the water/ running when you get a chance. also better picutre of mount and wiring. thanks Rob
I'm almost done installing two Oznium and two PlasmaLED lights. A flood on each side, and two spots in the middle. They are on the underside of the swim platform. I'm VERY impressed, can't wait to see how it looks in the water. I drilled a hole through the transom above the water line, and turns out there was two extra hot and ground wires behind the two blank accessory spots on my helm. I've got just over $100 in it, including the cable tracks to hide the wiring. Not a bad bang for the buck mod if you ask me.
http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu167/225sundowner/IMG_3651.jpg
http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu167/225sundowner/IMG_3652.jpg
http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu167/225sundowner/IMG_3653.jpg
http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu167/225sundowner/IMG_3654.jpg
http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu167/225sundowner/IMG_3655.jpg

Bucit
04-06-2011, 09:58 AM
I installed 2 sets of blue LED lights that I bought from a memeber of CSR who makes them. They were relativily inexpensive and the install was easy. We had a nasty storm last week and our waters look like coffee so the lights didn't seem as bright as I thought but again the waters were really murky/dirty. I will take some in water pictures this weekend and post next week.18295 18294

Searay-Bob
06-05-2011, 06:43 PM
I put a set of LED lights on my 340da. They said that they would project 35 feet. I am thinking 20 at the most. Although the water is not crystal clear but pretty clear. It is a nice effect at night but I guess not as much as I thought. Also you should mount then only 6 inches underwater and are not suppost to turn them on out of the water so they say.

firecadet613
06-05-2011, 07:18 PM
Looks good Would love to see pictures of them in the water/ running when you get a chance. also better picutre of mount and wiring. thanks Rob

Just wired up with heat shrink butt spliced and placed inside "Cable Hiders" to clean it up. The lights I smeared 4200 on the back and held in place with duct tape until it cured.

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu167/225sundowner/IMG_3669.jpg

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu167/225sundowner/IMG_3666.jpg

These were taken in a murky lake...but in Lake Michigans clear water you can see down a bit...past outdrive/tabs.

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu167/225sundowner/IMG_4315.jpg

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu167/225sundowner/IMG_4308.jpg

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu167/225sundowner/IMG_4310.jpg

Jims380DA
06-12-2011, 09:25 PM
After years of research, I finally added LED underwater lights. They are from Shadow Caster LED. www.shadow-caster.com
Great guys to deal with and a fraction of the price of OceanLed. Just as bright. Will post pics soon

Patina
07-15-2011, 12:57 PM
I went for a slightly cheaper version, and used 1 w. white LED sealed lights from www.plasmaled.com (http://www.plasmaled.com)

They work great!

would you go to the 3w or are the 1w quite brite

JediJD
07-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Jims, how did the install go? Got the pics yet?

After years of research, I finally added LED underwater lights. They are from Shadow Caster LED. www.shadow-caster.com
Great guys to deal with and a fraction of the price of OceanLed. Just as bright. Will post pics soon

WarrenG
12-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Has anyone had experience doing lights on a 2003-09 500DA?
Or
What's been working the best these days?

WarrenG

Hampton
12-25-2011, 02:02 PM
Has anyone had experience doing lights on a 2003-09 500DA?
Or
What's been working the best these days?

WarrenG

Lumishore Color Changing - This is not the normal color pattern - my wife is pushing the cycle button during the video -click on the video:

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp120/TheHamptons1/Winter%202011%20-%202012/th_LateSummer2011129.jpg (http://s403.photobucket.com/albums/pp120/TheHamptons1/Winter%202011%20-%202012/?action=view&current=LateSummer2011129.mp4)

hrynyk6
03-02-2012, 06:51 PM
Has anyone else noticed that AquaLed lights have gone up 50% since the end of December, 2011? $99.95 Then $149.95 Now...

electricaldoctor
03-02-2012, 10:50 PM
After years of research, I finally added LED underwater lights. They are from Shadow Caster LED. www.shadow-caster.com (http://www.shadow-caster.com)

What kind of cost are we looking at? Did you use transom or tab mount?
What wattage and colour did you purchase?

Pkunze
03-03-2012, 09:35 AM
For those 340 owners, I noticed in some pictures what looks like factory installed lights under the swim platform just above the water line. Years look like 2003 to 2006 or so. Does anyone know if these are in fact factory installed and if they are useful. I'm in fresh water.

Hampton
03-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Those are Halogen lights by Barnegat Bay light co. They did come from the factory/dealer as an option. They have HUGE water intrusion issues, even though they are above the water line. They were the very first generation of transom lighting. I added them to my 340 on my own about 5 years ago. Lighting has come so very far since then, I wouldn't add them again. We had those, Abyss underwater LEDs, and some LEDs made by Douglas on this forum. We didn't use the white Halogens very much after adding the LEDs.

WahooUSMA
04-08-2012, 02:07 PM
I just bought the Lumitec Seablaze 3's for my 270. I was contemplating the OceanLed's, but just couldn't see spending close to a grand for 2 lights. Got my Lumitec's from Boaters World for $540 - still a lot of money, but all the reviews were great. I am having them installed next week...If I can figure out how to post a picture, I'll do it. Anyone out there have the Lumitec's?

WahooUSMA
04-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Been raining for the last few days, so we haven't had the opportunity to put the lights in.....it is supposed to let up by Sat/Sun, so maybe they can install them then.

Pkunze
04-11-2012, 10:05 PM
Those are Halogen lights by Barnegat Bay light co. They did come from the factory/dealer as an option. They have HUGE water intrusion issues, even though they are above the water line. They were the very first generation of transom lighting. I added them to my 340 on my own about 5 years ago. Lighting has come so very far since then, I wouldn't add them again. We had those, Abyss underwater LEDs, and some LEDs made by Douglas on this forum. We didn't use the white Halogens very much after adding the LEDs.

Hampton, thanks for the response. I'll look for a better solution than the above the waterline ones.

wvsundancer
04-13-2012, 02:03 PM
The imitations and pirates of this design have given a lot of people a bad taste.

Being the original designer with the patent pending design of the trim tab lights we have always stated your stainless steel housings and brackets should be coated. We suggest using PropSpeed by Detco if they are going to be immersed in salt water. Even trim tabs are painted. No metal should be uncoated in a corrosive environment!

Additionally, we believe in this design so much that we now have taken it a step further by redesigning the housing in a Polyvinyl Chloride (pvc) model. It is a tough, chemically resistant synthetic resin made by polymerizing vinyl chloride. This beauty is lightweight, resists corrosion and electrolysis. The brackets are powder coated to help withstand harsh environments. The best part is that they are cheaper in cost than the stainless steel version.

Nautically,

Todd Hurley
Hurley Marine, Inc.
I just received your lights in the mail this week and will be putting them on my 280DA I think you have the best system out of everything I looked at. I boat with someone who has the HID's which were out of my budget but for my size boat I think the Holign will work fine. Thanks fo making a great product. BTW I wish you furnished the clapms for the hull. have to go down to the marine store Saturday morning to get these little dudes.

Groucho
05-20-2012, 09:52 PM
I just installed the Aqua Led's on my 290. I bought 2. I just didn't want to spend 600 on the others. These were 150.00 each. I also chose white.
Very pleased...at least a 25 foot light reach in the water. 2 are plenty...but now I'm thinking a Red one and a blue one might be pretty cool. Install was easy and cheap.
www.aqualeds.com

Bresco
06-07-2012, 10:50 AM
We just installed 4 Abyss S1560 lights on our 44 Dancer. Glad we did 4 in our murky waters. The standard single lights were around $500. each and the changing lights were around $720. Went with the changing lights. Love them.

In clearer water you could probably use 3 instead.

http://www.abysslite.com/underwater-lights.php

Bresco
06-07-2012, 10:51 AM
http://www.lapointes.ca/blog/wp-content/gallery/summer-2012/img_4804.jpg

Pachanga Boy
06-07-2012, 11:05 AM
^^^ that's awesome!
here's mine from Coastalnightlights.com $150/each for the double size, only running two, I'll probably add a third for next season.
picture is taken in very murky water at my marina (It is Lake Erie after all), I hope to get better photos up around the islands where it's alot clearer.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/gursaek/88%20Sundacer/DSC05112.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/gursaek/88%20Sundacer/DSC05185.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/gursaek/88%20Sundacer/DSC05188.jpg

TheWolfTC
12-25-2012, 01:50 PM
I just installed the Aqua Led's on my 290. I bought 2. I just didn't want to spend 600 on the others. These were 150.00 each. I also chose white.
Very pleased...at least a 25 foot light reach in the water. 2 are plenty...but now I'm thinking a Red one and a blue one might be pretty cool. Install was easy and cheap.
www.aqualeds.com (http://www.aqualeds.com)

Hello,
I saw your post about the underwater lights you installed last summer...how did you end up liking them overall? Did you take any pics of them after the install?
Did you need to install any power transformers or was this a simple run to a switch then straight to the battery?
The lights look pretty solid, so how did they work out if you don't mind me asking.
Thanks
Bill

Groucho
01-16-2013, 12:22 AM
Hello,
I saw your post about the underwater lights you installed last summer...how did you end up liking them overall? Did you take any pics of them after the install?
Did you need to install any power transformers or was this a simple run to a switch then straight to the battery?
The lights look pretty solid, so how did they work out if you don't mind me asking.
Thanks
Bill

Hi, Sorry I just saw your post. I used them all last season with no issues. They are very bright...I used 2 units...Very little power draw. No transformers needed, just ran to a spare switch.
I may add 2 more for effect. A Blue one and a Red one. I'll buy the same brand again...

BritLady
04-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Anyone any experience with Lumitec Seablaze 3 underwater lights at all please? Good/bad, install tips, would you buy again etc., or anything any better for about the same cost etc., etc.
How many, if any, would you recomend for 340 DA (we thought perhaps 3...?). One reviewer reckoned not to buy lights with more than one color ...? Thanks in advance:)

hottoddie
04-02-2013, 01:34 PM
www.aqualeds.com (http://www.aqualeds.com)

I also ran 3 blue Aqualeds last summer in salt water. Half way thru the season about half of the leds on each light burned out. Returned last Dec under warranty and just received them back yesterday. Will reinstall this week and see how they hold up this summer.

BritLady
04-02-2013, 01:48 PM
I also ran 3 blue Aqualeds last summer in salt water. Half way thru the season about half of the leds on each light burned out. Returned last Dec under warranty and just received them back yesterday. Will reinstall this week and see how they hold up this summer.

Thanks for the input. Longevity of the bulbs is a major concern to us because even if they are still in warranty, costs us about $400 a time to just get her hauled out:smt089

wakeup 19
04-02-2013, 04:30 PM
I am "was" ready to call Aqualeds to order a couple of Blues for my boat. Hmmm. Got me thinking. I am in Boston area, not Cape Cod, but how did you like the lights as far as brightness? I have heard some good reviews on these. At least they stood behind them.
How much distance did they penetrate water? Cover whole back of boat. I was going to start with 2 for now.
thanks rob

tc410
04-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Anyone any experience with Lumitec Seablaze 3 underwater lights at all please? Good/bad, install tips, would you buy again etc., or anything any better for about the same cost etc., etc.
How many, if any, would you recomend for 340 DA (we thought perhaps 3...?). One reviewer reckoned not to buy lights with more than one color ...? Thanks in advance:)
I just ordered the new Seablaze X for my Scout. They are supposed to be twice as bright as the Seablaze 3. Everything I have heard about the Lumitec products has been very positive. More bright and durable than their competition and less money. I'm putting two on Scout (20') and I have a friend putting 4 on a 35 Carver (I think 3 would be enough but he's doing 4). I think 3 on a boat your size would be good (port, center, starboard).

BritLady
04-02-2013, 05:52 PM
I just ordered the new Seablaze X for my Scout. They are supposed to be twice as bright as the Seablaze 3. Everything I have heard about the Lumitec products has been very positive. More bright and durable than their competition and less money. I'm putting two on Scout (20') and I have a friend putting 4 on a 35 Carver (I think 3 would be enough but he's doing 4). I think 3 on a boat your size would be good (port, center, starboard).

Thanks, good call on the Seablaze X! I had to search to find them, most still offer the 3's. The best price I could find was $377.52 ea. We read quite a bit and Lumitec products seem to be well thought of. Will get 3 we think, for center, port and s'board. Did you get just one color (we are thinking blue)? I think I read in one of the reviews that if you have duo colors they don't shine out quite so far (no idea if that's correct or not). Anyone out there know please?

tc410
04-02-2013, 06:02 PM
I ordered white at first then changed the order to blue/white. I have white xenons on the bigger boat that I am closing on this spring after sea trial. With the combo, you get 1/2 blue and 1/2 white as opposed to 100% of one color. I am told that even at 1/2 power they are still brighter than 100% of the Seablaze 3's. You can also combine the blue and white so you get 100% output of a light blue color. And then you can (not sure why you would) have them alternate blue/white back and forth, "like a police car" the salesman told me. PM me for what I paid and where I got them (I don't want to mix anything up with site sponsors, etc.). Be advised that the X's are new, popular and are on backorder at most locations.

DougLas
04-03-2013, 06:08 AM
"Wow" a lot of money to light up the water behind a boat. I don't understand why they are so expensive.

BritLady
04-03-2013, 09:52 AM
"Wow" a lot of money to light up the water behind a boat. I don't understand why they are so expensive.

I think it's just 'cos they're used on a boat LOL.

DougLas
04-03-2013, 07:22 PM
$50 a unit sounds more like it. Marin grade 48 high powered led units

Deuceornothing
04-04-2013, 09:11 AM
$50 a unit sounds more like it. Marin grade 48 high powered led units

I bought 4 lights from Doug and I'm very happy with them. $210 with shipping :smt038

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh40/Jeffharwood/4634934A-26D9-480D-A345-B5431DDFAFB3-9243-0000081803A6F966.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh40/Jeffharwood/B86C47B1-5210-4B21-BD95-1986ADD8DBC5-5536-00000629B18B9BC7.jpg

hottoddie
04-04-2013, 09:58 AM
I am "was" ready to call Aqualeds to order a couple of Blues for my boat. Hmmm. Got me thinking. I am in Boston area, not Cape Cod, but how did you like the lights as far as brightness? I have heard some good reviews on these. At least they stood behind them.
How much distance did they penetrate water? Cover whole back of boat. I was going to start with 2 for now.
thanks rob

I have 3 on ,my 390 with a 14 ft beam. Slip is in brackish water. They were adequate as far as brightness to start the season until leds started to go out. In July after being in the water I was over in Ptown Marina with nice clear water and the brightness was good. I bought mine in Nov 2011 off ebay. The people at Aqualed's said that they were early ones and the new ones are sealed much better to solve the problem. The 2 year warranty is better than most. I don't know if I would recommend them until later this summer.

BritLady
04-04-2013, 10:49 AM
I have 3 on ,my 390 with a 14 ft beam. Slip is in brackish water. They were adequate as far as brightness to start the season until leds started to go out. In July after being in the water I was over in Ptown Marina with nice clear water and the brightness was good. I bought mine in Nov 2011 off ebay. The people at Aqualed's said that they were early ones and the new ones are sealed much better to solve the problem. The 2 year warranty is better than most. I don't know if I would recommend them until later this summer.

Thanks for the insight. This is exactly the issue, doesn't really matter if the LED's, even the cheaper ones (not sayin Aqualed's are cheap, have no idea) have good warranty or not it's okay if you trailer but if you have to fork out $400 to get her hauled every time that makes even the $50 expensive too. Reminds me a bit of the Honda vs.Kia ad they ran awhile back which made me smile as a really good marketing rebuttal, Honda reckoned they didn't have to offer such long warranties 'cos they built good vehicles to start with and weren't in the extended warranty biz:) Expect it's a bit of a crap shoot with any of the LED's really.

Bucit
04-04-2013, 11:35 AM
I bought 4 lights from Doug and I'm very happy with them. $210 with shipping :smt038

I bought 2 sets form DougLas as well. In the winter months our water is pretty clear and work very well. Once our water temerature hits 78 the algae starts to bloom and the water is very murky which reduces the distance you see the lights. Overall for a $200 investment they look and perform pretty good.

timemachine
04-22-2013, 07:34 PM
I just picked up a used set of the larger ocean LEDs and am selling a set of blue oceanLED A6 pros in blue under the classified section. If I'm going to be drilling a hole in my hull I want a good quality light so I don't have to worry. The oceanleds are the best I've seen.

08Dancer380
04-30-2013, 04:37 PM
Those lights under your boat came out great!! Easy to install?

chpsk8
10-25-2013, 11:51 AM
Has anyone run lights under the swim platform and not actually under the water? I wonder if that would light up the spray under power, probably wouldn't be as impressive at a standstill as true underwater lights I suppose.

Hampton
11-09-2013, 09:58 AM
Has anyone run lights under the swim platform and not actually under the water? I wonder if that would light up the spray under power, probably wouldn't be as impressive at a standstill as true underwater lights I suppose.

Just seeing this. The through-hull lights light up the spray under way as the transom is out of the water on plane - it's not above the water level, but it's not submerged.

Zorba
11-09-2013, 10:35 AM

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/09/taqyqamy.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/09/te7ypare.jpg

Here's a couple of shots that show what the under swim platform lights look like. I really like their effect. Once these halogens go they will be replaced with LED's

Vida
11-27-2013, 04:02 PM
Pictures of the Lumitec I have installed. 3 units.

wakeup 19
11-27-2013, 04:44 PM
I put 2 Seablaze 3 lights on this season and they were very good in not the best of water. I have outdrives and it didn't really affect the projection of light at all. Wanted the SB X but they didn't have them available when I needed them. (back-ordered) If I have some extra cash and really want to go bright I would put one of those in the middle. But really don't need to.
Installed easy and ran all season, knock on wood, without issue. I would clean the lens from time to time as well. Blue is nice,that's what I have but white attracts more fish. Rob

Ctsearay
12-26-2013, 01:08 PM
I had 2 T-6 Amphibians OceanLED's on my Sundeck and they were really sweet! So now that I have to re-lamp on the new boat I figured I'd call them and see whats up. Well I guess they just came out with an extreme line that 75% more powerful than the last ones I had. BUT they are huge money. So I'm looking for alternatives.

Here's pics of my old ones

Jims380DA
12-28-2013, 10:54 PM
Look at shadow-caster.com and speak with Neil. Great product, great customer service.

sellnit
02-23-2014, 10:51 PM
I have the Lumishore Color Change 72's. They are amazing. Look their new Eos System, brightest system out there at the moment and just released last month. We used 5200 to seal ours in. Good luck.

Ctsearay
02-24-2014, 02:52 PM
WOW They are really sweet. But the pricing is way up there for sure. I was looking at the new Pro extreme 16 Pro's from OceanLED and they were pretty steep too at $800-$1000 each. I'll hang for a while and see what shakes loose.

BigBoysToys
02-24-2014, 02:56 PM
I just bought a set from lumishore that I'm putting on this spring. They will now your mind!

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Pietro
02-25-2014, 05:47 AM
Just arrived.... blue/white combo :smt001

...let's see if they will last more than the Swadow-Caster ones....

One question: how do you clean your underwater lights???

Ctsearay
02-25-2014, 05:56 AM
Nice choice.

Jims380DA
02-25-2014, 06:26 PM
Just arrived.... blue/white combo :smt001

...let's see if they will last more than the Swadow-Caster ones....

One question: how do you clean your underwater lights???

Pietro, what problems did you have with the Shadow-Caster lights?

electricaldoctor
02-26-2014, 12:47 AM
What brand, model #, cost are these Pietro?

Pietro
02-26-2014, 07:57 AM
These are Lumitec Seablaze X white/blue combo. Price: 377 US$ each

The Shadow-Caster were super bright but both failed after 3 seasons of very light use.... So I went for Lumitec, also after reading this:

http://www.underwaterlightcomparison.com

electricaldoctor
02-26-2014, 08:47 AM
Thanx Pietro. How do you toggle between blue & white?

Pietro
02-27-2014, 04:10 AM
Thanx Pietro. How do you toggle between blue & white?

Simple: just an ON/OFF toggle that will allow them to transition through the various modes.

Cross color fade
white
blue
white+blue
flashing white/blue

Ctsearay
02-27-2014, 05:43 AM
They should update the ratings they aren't still current. The Oceanled pro extreme 16s are 4800 lumens for $800

BritLady
03-09-2014, 01:19 AM
Finally getting around to putting underwater lights on and we have come up with the same selection as others here the: SeablazeX, blue/white. Talked to a few folk with differing opiinions on the number for our 12' beam....some say two is okay, others reckon we need three...... What's anyone on here gone with for a 12' beam 2 or 3 please, or anything different?

tc410
03-09-2014, 08:29 AM
I have two SeaBlaze X's on the transom of my Scout, which has an 8' beam..... I'd recommend you go with three on a 12' beam......

BritLady
03-09-2014, 12:37 PM
I have two SeaBlaze X's on the transom of my Scout, which has an 8' beam..... I'd recommend you go with three on a 12' beam......

Thanks Jeff,

We are going to go with three of the blue/white, we thought two would not be enough but was wondering if anyone had actually put four on. Cost is much better with three though:)

Ctsearay
03-10-2014, 05:12 AM
Yeah I have been rolling around the same question 3 or 4. Does SeaBlaze have anything on their website?

electricaldoctor
03-10-2014, 06:09 AM
How many do you have on your 390 Pietro?

Gary Hill
03-10-2014, 07:28 AM
We have two of the standard HID's that came with our 40 DA. Very pleased, lights up the whole fairway behind our boat. Even through the green of Lake Macatawa. In clean water, very nice.

FWIW

tc410
03-10-2014, 08:46 AM
Like Gary, I have the HID's on my Sea Ray. Two on my 15' beam. They are no comparison to the LED SeaBlaze X's on my Scout. HID's are by far brighter and project a LONG way behind the boat. But they are priced around $2k (each) installed. The SeaBlaze X's are a great alternative at around $350 each. As to the question of 3 or 4? Or 6 or 8 for that matter? If you want to spend the extra dollars for 4 then go for it. I think 3 across the stern of anything 40' or less will provide a consistent wash of light, but 4 will guaranty it.

Pietro
03-10-2014, 06:48 PM
How many do you have on your 390 Pietro?

i had 2 Shadow-casters that made plenty of light, now replacing them with 2 Seablaze X

i think it depends on water cleaness too...

electricaldoctor
03-10-2014, 07:04 PM
Remind us again why you are changing these out Pietro. Do you anticipate better performance from the Sea Blaze lights?

Ctsearay
03-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Hey Gary and Jeff,

What HID's are you guys running / talking about? It sounds like a whole different world but I'd like to research them anyways. Thanks in advance.

tc410
03-10-2014, 08:50 PM
What HID's are you guys running / talking about? It sounds like a whole different world but I'd like to research them anyways. Thanks in advance.

These are what I have (the X version ballast). They are made by a company that does underwater lighting for oil rigs and other commercial use. They have a product line engineered for boats. They also have LED options, as well as an LED replacement setup that will slide into my HID housings if I ever want to go that direction.

http://www.deepsee.com/150w-hid-thru-hull-sealite/

You can also check out the gallery on their website to see some cool picutres of the HID and LED options they offer.

electricaldoctor
03-11-2014, 04:31 AM
Sounds pricey. How many boat bucks are we looking at here?

Gary Hill
03-11-2014, 06:53 AM
Hey Gary and Jeff,

I will go to the storage barn in a day or two and report back as to what brand and model I have.

BritLady
03-11-2014, 08:59 AM
These are what I have (the X version ballast). They are made by a company that does underwater lighting for oil rigs and other commercial use. They have a product line engineered for boats. They also have LED options, as well as an LED replacement setup that will slide into my HID housings if I ever want to go that direction.

http://www.deepsee.com/150w-hid-thru-hull-sealite/

You can also check out the gallery on their website to see some cool picutres of the HID and LED options they offer.

Wow, they look good quality Jeff, imagine they look excellent...what's that saying now....."you get what you pay for":)

Pietro
03-11-2014, 09:12 AM
Remind us again why you are changing these out Pietro. Do you anticipate better performance from the Sea Blaze lights?

The Shadow-casters broke... I'm expecting same performance.

BritLady
06-24-2014, 02:08 PM
Yea!!! Finally have our SeaBlaze X lights installed! Neat how they cycle from blue to white and back. Really pleased with them:)

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb291/Brenda1947/th_IMG_0438.jpg (http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb291/Brenda1947/IMG_0438.mp4)

Ctsearay
06-25-2014, 12:31 PM
Very nice!!!

I finally got a pic of our OceanLED Pro Xtreme16's

tc410
06-25-2014, 01:16 PM
Couldn't get your video to play, but those look great Brenda! Glad you're happy with them!

BritLady
06-25-2014, 03:10 PM
Couldn't get your video to play, but those look great Brenda! Glad you're happy with them!

Sorry, the video wouldn't play, it does for me but I'm not that good at this stuff, so not sure what I did:) Thanks for all your help, really appreciated it!

BritLady
06-25-2014, 03:15 PM
Look great John & Holly! Know they are far from a necessity but they are so nice to have:)

Havana Shamrock
06-25-2014, 06:04 PM
Looks great ,to both of you .

JV II
06-25-2014, 08:59 PM
Macris Industries is the way I went. Could not be happier.
http://clubsearay.com/showthread.php/65652-Decided-to-go-with-Macris-Industries-underwater-LED-lights?highlight=macris

Pietro
06-26-2014, 03:40 AM
I'm also very happy with my new Seablaze X. Same light power as my former Shadowcasters.

They are very easy to clean too. You just wipe them with your fingers and any marine growth goes away as if it was on oil! Amazing!

ziekman@cox.net
06-26-2014, 05:33 AM
For those with an extended, or hydraulic swim platform, do you your lights throw off a decent glow? My only concern is the effect getting lost under my Sea-Lift.

Ctsearay
06-26-2014, 09:48 AM
Thanks All we really like them too.

Art I haven't seen an issue with it. Our platform is approx 4 ft deep/wide. Here is a bad quality video through the Eisenglass but you get the idea. I hope to grab some better footage soon.

http://youtu.be/FrfszU23co8

ziekman@cox.net
06-26-2014, 10:44 AM
Thanks and Very cool "underway" video - haven't seen that before!!

Jims380DA
07-02-2014, 09:12 PM
The Shadow-casters broke... I'm expecting same performance.

Pietro, I am having same problems with Shadow-Caster. Lights went out after 1 year and received replacement lights from them and having the same problems again. Did you use the same holes for the Sea Blaze X? Did you have to upgrade wiring? Thanks