Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Sport Cruisers' started by Capt.G, Jun 11, 2018.
Thanks Frank. I have read the thread. My point was we all need to be careful.
I'll just move along.
hi frank ! i have read it but i do not panic . when we consider only the worst that can theoretically happen i think we really should not go boating at all since we may blow up and sink .
using a genny gives the risk of being co poisoned and not using it gives a risk of a heart attack due to heat inside the cabin because no airconditioning .
when you anchor the wind puts the stern downwind naturally and so the fumes away . you have co detectors , you do not use it overnight ...
there is an opinion that putting a honda on a swim platform is the most dangerous think you can do while boating , i agree there might be a risk but i would not panic so much.
I think the point everyone is making is to know the risks of the thing your about to do... not everyone knows all the points Frank makes. In the end its up to you to decide what to do and that's easier if you know what could happen if you run with scissors
Here's the 2016 USCG Recreational Boating Statistics https://www.uscgboating.org/library/accident-statistics/Recreational-Boating-Statistics-2016.pdf
so when i read the document correctly any kind of co poisoning during boating is such rare that it is not even mentioned in the statistics . now take away other sources like main engine / marine genset etc and we see that the probability of death from a honda is about like a meteorite hits our boat .
both thereotically may happen .
A self inflicted "meteorite"?
Isn't anything that happens to you in a boat "self inflicted"? After all, it is a choice to go boating.
Can somebody please stick a fork in this thread. For those who are enjoying it, I'm sure that a similar discussion will pop up again before this boating season winds down. The theme of this thread is starting to sound a lot like "Ground Hog Day" ... it just won't go away!!
Fun fact..... 20 people in the last 100 years have been hit and died from meteorites .... not sure if they were holding scissors and standing still or not .....
The real question is...were they on their boats with a portable generator when they were hit?
they got hit in the very moment they pulled the starter rope of the honda - as a punishment from heaven
"It's déjà vu all over again."
Rest in peace Yogi...
Then there is this:
Wouldn't that be lovely running beside you in a quiet cove! I guess eventually they would be asphyxiated and it would run out of gas so you could have some peace and quiet.
Hell I only made it 2.5 min and I killed the noise.
Thank you Woody I will read that tonight
Ok a lot of input on safety but people who die of co on a boat with a portable gen. Sounds to me they didn't have co detectors or worse they disconnect it
This is not the gen. Fault it's the owners .common sense goes along way. The co detector on the boat is wicked sensitive just backing up sets it off.
I think there should be a thread about co detectors and safety and leave the portable gen. Usage/connections etc.
That's the nice thing about this site. You can start any thread that you want. Go ahead if that is what you want.
This was about using a portable gen. And it turned into co issue
Don't that beat all?
It's the same problem no solution.. ya I know... don use them. If a portable or factory install they both produce co