Sea Ray.... Duh
    Details
    2003 320 Sundancer & 2012 185 Sport & 2007 Pro-Line 20 Sport
    Engine(s)
    Twin 6.2L Close Cooled V-Drives & 3.0L Alpha 1 & 135 Honda OB

Re: Official 280 Sundancer Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Boyd View Post
    Mike,

Our boat didn't come with the TV, but have seen them and they consume a heck of a lot valuable storage space.

Henry
    I added a 15" flat pannel with an articulating arm that lets it fold back into the area above the microwave. I can swivel it for viewing at the dinette as well as the v-berth. I'll post pics when I'm there tomorrow

Current boat 2003 320 DA Jimi Thing III 6.2L Close Cooled w/ V-Drives
    and 2012 185 Sport WEE RAY
    and 2007 Pro-Line 20 Sport My Wave
    Lt. Dan

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    "On Vacation" 2006 40 Sundancer E120 Radar & Garmin 5208
    Engine(s)
    QSB5.9 380 Cummins

Quote Originally Posted by dpvandy01 View Post
    I added a 15" flat pannel with an articulating arm that lets it fold back into the area above the microwave. I can swivel it for viewing at the dinette as well as the v-berth. I'll post pics when I'm there tomorrow
    The LCD upgrade is a no brainer if you have the model years with the crt tv in the cabinet. We went to a DVD/LCD made by Sharp. Much nicer and give us a whole cabinet for storage. I initially purchased a 15" AC/DC but returned it as I wanted to biggest that could fit in front of the starboard cabinet without sticking out over the edge. Swivel mount on the front-port side corner of the cabinet where theres a nice piece of wood to hold the mount. The Sharp is a AC only but we have a converter when needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Previous Boats
    2004 280 Sundancer, T 5.0/BIII
    1998 21' Bayliner Capri

3. Re: Official 280 Sundancer Thread

Quote Originally Posted by gerryb View Post
    The LCD upgrade is a no brainer if you have the model years with the crt tv in the cabinet. We went to a DVD/LCD made by Sharp. Much nicer and give us a whole cabinet for storage. I initially purchased a 15" AC/DC but returned it as I wanted to biggest that could fit in front of the starboard cabinet without sticking out over the edge. Swivel mount on the front-port side corner of the cabinet where theres a nice piece of wood to hold the mount. The Sharp is a AC only but we have a converter when needed.
    Wow, take out the V-berth and add theatre seating and you'll have it made.

Greg & Cherie, 2004 280 Sundancer 496 MAG "Cherie Amour"
    http://gredmer.blogspot.com Visit my new blog.
    1977 Sea Ray SRV240
    1987 Sea Ray 270DA
    2007 Sea Ray 240DA

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    02' 280 DA
    Engine(s)
    496 w BIII

Gerry,

Does the TV fold out of the way to get access to the cabinet behind?

On our non tv boat the starboard cabinet has a full height door, and pitiful little coat hook (like the port side). We are planning to add shelves which will make storage space for light stuff like clothes and towels.

Henry
    Ciao Bella - '02 280 DA - 496 MAG B III
    Air Bella - '07 Zodiac Fastroller -T 6' Alu & Plastic Oars

​MMSI 338130198

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    280 Sundancer 2007
    Engine(s)
    Twin 4.3 L Mercruiser w/ Alpha drives

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Boyd View Post
    Mike,

I am planning to make templates for adding shelves to the 'closets' by the V berth this weekend.

Our V berth is pretty much assembled full time and I have given thought to building a false front to block off the area under the table top. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Our boat didn't come with the TV, but have seen them and they consume a heck of a lot valuable storage space.

Henry
    We also keep the V berth set up in sleep mode at all times. With the 3" memory foam pad, it is too much of a pain to pack everything up each day. Our little dog has picked the open spot under the table top as her "safe place". The area is just big enough for her to get out of the way of foot traffic and have a place to sleep. The shelves are a great idea! Would love to see pictures when you are finished.
    Jim
    Lake St. Clair, MI
    2007 280 Sundancer
    Twin 4.3L/Alpha
    "Uncharted Waters"

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    280 Sundancer 2007
    Engine(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Presentation View Post
    Current 280 Sundancer

Strengths:
    Great lines / profile
    Great cabin and cockpit layout
    Big swim platform for this size boat. The swim platform completely covers the drives even when the drives are up all the way. This makes is safer for kids to jump off the swim platform.
    This boat does many things well

Weaknesses:
    Gas tank is too small at 100 gallons. Id like to see 150
    No room at the helm for flush mounted screens like a radar or multi function center
    Needs more cockpit storage
    The boat attracts blonds who sprawl out on the swim platform. See above post for a example. Or wait, is that a strength?
    Two additional strengths:
    1. Twin engines option offer outstanding manuverability at the dock. I believe the 280 is the smallest SeaRay cruiser that offers the twin engine option. This was a big selling point for us as we are first time boaters.

2. Largest SeaRay cruiser to still have a tow eye. Yes, we drink some gas pulling the kids on the tube behind this boat, but I love the versatility the boat offers.

1 additional weakness:
    1. Most people end up adding a foam pad in the sleeping areas. I'm surprised that SeaRay hasn't picked up on this and doesn't offer a cut to size foam pad topper as an option.
    Jim
    Lake St. Clair, MI
    2007 280 Sundancer
    Twin 4.3L/Alpha
    "Uncharted Waters"

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    03 280 Sundancer Kohler 5 KW Gen. 95 13' Boston Whaler Dauntless
    Engine(s)
    Twin 4.3 MPI Alpha 1 Gen 2

Does any one use a chartplotter on their 280? I've been thinking of getting one but I have no clue of where to mount one. The helm doesn't lend itself to any additional electronics so I'm looking for a bit of advice on what kind is recommended by other 280 owners for our helm.

1st. What make model do you recommend? I boat in the upper Mississippi & Illinois rivers above St. Louis. So, I'm not looking to go to fancy.

2nd. Do you have any picts. of your installation? If so, please post them up.
    Fred

2003 280 Sundancer Twin 4.3 MPI's W/ A-1's
    Kohler 5.0 KW

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    280 Sundancer 2007
    Engine(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post
    Does any one use a chartplotter on their 280? I've been thinking of getting one but I have no clue of where to mount one. The helm doesn't lend itself to any additional electronics so I'm looking for a bit of advice on what kind is recommended by other 280 owners for our helm.

1st. What make model do you recommend? I boat in the upper Mississippi & Illinois rivers above St. Louis. So, I'm not looking to go to fancy.

2nd. Do you have any picts. of your installation? If so, please post them up.
    We had the dealer install a Garmin 440 w/ external antenna. This fit perfectly in the center of dash, in the spot normally occupied by the VHF radio. See attached picture.

IMG_3557.jpg

Although I don't have a picture, the VHF radio was re-located on the lower left hand side of the dash. I'll try and send other pictures when I return to the boat. We orginally tried a Garmin 545, but it was too big to be flush mounted on a 280 dash.
    Jim
    Lake St. Clair, MI
    2007 280 Sundancer
    Twin 4.3L/Alpha
    "Uncharted Waters"

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    02' 280 DA
    Engine(s)
    496 w BIII

I did a custom dash so I could add the Smartcraft display, but the reason for the picture is that I used a Ram Mount for the GPS display Raymarine RL 70 CRC. It works well with very little vibration and can be moved to suit the circumstances.

Henry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ciao Bella - '02 280 DA - 496 MAG B III
    Air Bella - '07 Zodiac Fastroller -T 6' Alu & Plastic Oars

​MMSI 338130198

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1997 330 Express Cruiser
    Engine(s)
    T-7.4's MPI

Hello everyone, just stepped up to a 280 Dancer. I love the boat, you can't beat it. I'm looking forward to conversing with fellow 280 pilots...
    2001 280 Sundancer
    4.3's w/Alpha's
    The Great Lakes
    Lake St. Clair