Results 5,251 to 5,260 of 5301
    Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    280 Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    Twin 4.3 Mercruisers with Alpha 1's

Re: Official 280 Sundancer Thread

I was out cruising in the Gulf of Sarasota this weekend and we ran from New pass up to Beercan Island and anchored there in the inlet. Boat ran great the whole way and we hung out for an hour or so with the engines off. When I went to fire up the engines the port engine turned over fine but would go to 550 rpms and then die. The strbd fired right up as always and I went back home on the one engine. I tried numerous times to start the port with no luck. I've done some reading and I'm going to pull the water filter and the inline filter at the carb and hope that does that trick. I'll check the oil pressure sensor as well. Anything else I should check while I'm down there? I put in 75 gallons of gas on Saturday which put me at 7/8's of a tank and ran most of that down to about half a tank on sat and sunday. I wouldn't think it's the gas since the strbd is running fine.
    Twin 4.3's

Boat
    searay
    Details
    2005 280 sundancer
    Engine(s)
    twin 4.3 mercruiser w/bravo. III drives

Very common Change iac valve about $100 and filter($1.50) filter is called a muffler only a small piece of fiber material in throttle body facing aft in small pocket about 3" down after you remove spark arrester need needle nose plyers whole job takes 15 minutes. Same thing happened to me 3 years ago.two weeks later other one went so now carry a spare.

Boat
    Searay
    Details
    2002 280da
    Engine(s)
    Twin 5.0mpi

IAC for Merc MPI is same as 2002 Ford Windstar 3.8, no difference auto/marine.
    Standard Motor Products AC423 Idle Air Control Valve https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EQC2WY..._5eXzybTQPJF9A

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    280 Sundancer 2003, Garmin 4208, Ray 60
    Engine(s)
    4.3 Merc Twins, Alpha One, Kohler 5kw

Quote Originally Posted by dmorin View Post
    Very common Change iac valve about $100 and filter($1.50) filter is called a muffler only a small piece of fiber material in throttle body facing aft in small pocket about 3" down after you remove spark arrester need needle nose plyers whole job takes 15 minutes. Same thing happened to me 3 years ago.two weeks later other one went so now carry a spare.
    Just curious, was your symptoms exactly the same? IE run up to 550 and die?

I had similar but not the same. Was running fine and just quit. Restarted fine but would only operate at low RPM. Got back to home port and messed with the connections to the oil pressure indicating switch and warning to see if it were a connection. Also, cleaned the air intake, fuel filters, and I have new plugs. It then started fine, but I've never figured what cause the problem. Iac is a simple start and can be had at an auto supply RockAuto.com part no:
    AC423 {#1F2Z9F715AA, 862998} for $35.

Curtiss, keep us posted.

Seevee

Boat
    searay
    Details
    2005 280 sundancer
    Engine(s)

Should have mentioned $100 mercruiser dealer price. One died after going thru no wake zone when throttling up then stalled and other one died after being anchored at beach for a couple hours would idle then stall then wouldn't do anything.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    280 Sundancer
    Engine(s)

Symptoms: 1. ran great, started great. 2. turned off both engines to do some swimming for about an hour. 3. stbd started right up, Port wouldn't start. turned and might go to 500 rpm's then died. I tried accelerated neutral with no difference. I gave up and went home on the stbd engine. 4. tried a couple times on the way home, nothing. Turned over fine but wouldn't catch. Seemed like a fuel issue.

Repair: New fuel filter/separator, cleaned air intake and cleaned little foam filter. Filter was very dirty and foam filter was very dirty. I didn't see any water in the fuel filter. I did both engines. Port started right up and ran fine for a test ride. Better than that.........it ran better than ever........got out of the hole quicker and felt quicker. 3700 rpm's gets me 28 knots. I still don't have top speed I'd like but I also don't have trim UP yet. So, trim down at 4500 I'm getting 32 knots. The IAC looks brand new and that's possible as the prior owner did about 10k of work about a year or so ago.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    280 Sundancer
    Engine(s)

dmorin,
    Where does one acquire this highly technical filter that looks like a piece of bed foam?

Boat
    searay
    Details
    2005 280 sundancer
    Engine(s)

Glad to hear your running again any mercury or mercruiser dealer part number 863829 list for $1.79 each I replace every year so cheap.When iac valve goes bad no idle or when starting usually stalls.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2007 280 Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    4.3 Mercruiser w/bravo 3 drives

If you have the smart-craft system I 'think' that the button might be the ambient air temp reader/thermometer ...

Boat
    Searay
    Details
    2002 280da
    Engine(s)
    Twin 5.0mpi

The replacement tachometers I'm seeing are all 3" but the parts manual shows the tachs are 5". Are they really 5". That seems big.