Re: Official 280 Sundancer Thread
I worked on my rub rail leak today. I took the metal insert out but did not take the rub rail base off. I removed each screw and injected caulk into every screw hole for both the base and insert. I didn’t like what I saw, it’s a wonder I didn’t have leaks sooner. Maybe I did and didn’t realize what the source was. I do get some water in the bilge, not much, if it rains a lot. I have extra, improperly positioned screw holes partially and some completely drilled. A couple of these holes were not even covered with caulk. I have my doubts that a few screws were ever caulked. The hole positions some time overlap each other. One countersunk hole in the base must have been a problem in the factory because of course I put a screw in it only to find out the insert hole was dead center on it. I filled it with caulk for now, will have to take it all apart and fix later. Several stripped screws in the base(or is the wood backer rotted) I don’t know at this point. I got my fingers crossed that I stopped the leak for the season but my confidence is low. I dread thinking of what I’ll find under the rub rail base. In any case I see a bigger, more thorough job ahead.
This reminds me of the first day I got my boat…water was leaking into the aft berth. We found that some of the windshield mount screws were never caulked and some were missing and the open holes were there. Ya, Ya, I know they are made by hand… but do they realize how many problems, how much unnecessary work is generated, how much money is wasted messing with this stuff…all do to not putting a hole in the right location, not caulking or not actually putting a screw in after they drill a hole. I’m still wondering were they found the 2 foot long screw that speared my AC duct.
2005 280DA T-5.0MPI, 260hp, B3, current boat
2004 270SD 496HO, 425hp, B3
2004 200BR 5.0MPI, 260hp, Alpha 1
Never take a sleeping pill and laxative at the same time