Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1999/2007 330 Sundancer Hardtop.
    Engine(s)
    6.2 Merc Horixons 1.5:1 Velvet Drives

Re: Correct procedure for emptying waste tank...

Before you pump it, pour some calgon water softener in the tank. It will soften the "sludge" and help to eliminate more waste. After you pump out, pour some more calgon in as well as a bag of ice, then go for a bumpy ride. The calgon will continue to soften the sludge and the ice cubes will act as tiny scrapers getting the rest of the sludge unstuck. It's a shame you do not have a pump out. Rinsing the tank with high pressure water is a great way to keep smells down.
    Best Regards,
    David

"Saint Max", '99 330 Dancer
    2007 6.2L Mercruiser Horizons; 1.5:1 Velvet V5000 "V" Drives

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2003 480 DB Zodiac ProJet Dinghy Yamaha 110vx WaveRunner
    Engine(s)
    QSM-11 Diesels

Quote Originally Posted by dpmulvey View Post
    After you pump out, pour some more calgon in as well as a bag of ice, then go for a bumpy ride.
    Can you explain how one goes about getting a bag of ice into a vacuflush holding tank?

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    03 280 Sundancer Kohler 5 KW Gen. 95 13' Boston Whaler Dauntless
    Engine(s)
    Twin 4.3 MPI Alpha 1 Gen 2

Well, it's gotta be either 1 cube at a time or you just wait till it melts...
    Fred

2003 280 Sundancer Twin 4.3 MPI's W/ A-1's
    Kohler 5.0 KW

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    Engine(s)
    QSM-11 Diesels

I know this has been discussed here before, but if you are going to flush a bag of ice down the toilet, make sure you have all new duck bill valves, a spare bellows pump assembly (including motor and shaft), maybe a spare vacuum tank assembly as well as that may crack, and a spare ball valve/rubber seals for the toilet. Assuming any of the ice even gets to the main holding tank and after you go for your "bumpy ride", you'll probably need to replace all the things I mentioned. Make sure you take pictures.

Oh... and if you are going to try and put it down the pump out fitting, you may want to trace that plumbing as well as ice ain't going down that thing.

Boat
    Maxim
    Details
    2400SCR
    Engine(s)
    5.0L Mercruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Four Suns View Post
    I know this has been discussed here before, but if you are going to flush a bag of ice down the toilet, make sure you have all new duck bill valves, a spare bellows pump assembly (including motor and shaft), maybe a spare vacuum tank assembly as well as that may crack, and a spare ball valve/rubber seals for the toilet. Assuming any of the ice even gets to the main holding tank and after you go for your "bumpy ride", you'll probably need to replace all the things I mentioned. Make sure you take pictures.

Oh... and if you are going to try and put it down the pump out fitting, you may want to trace that plumbing as well as ice ain't going down that thing.
    So it sounds like u think it's not a good idea then....................
    1998 Maxum 2400 SCR. Merc 5.0L Alpha

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    Engine(s)

Can you explain how one goes about getting a bag of ice into a vacuflush holding tank?

Sure! You put small cubes down the pump out fitting. My tank is completely seperate from my vacuflush and the macerator evacuation line is seperate from the pumpout evacuation line.
    Best Regards,
    David

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    260 Sundancer 2004 Kohler 5E Generator
    Engine(s)
    350 MAG Bravo III

I cannot imagine standing around feeding ice cubes down the pump out fitting. My goal at the pump out station is to get the job done as fast as possible without spraying anything on myself.

Instead of soaps, chemicals, etc. I just use Odorloss (sp?) in the tank and pump it out before it gets full. Knock on wood, I have not had any odor problems in 4 years and have not had to change the filter either.
    Ken
    "Wastin' Aweigh Again"
    Wastin' Aweigh Again Blog
    Previous boats:
    2002 Searay 225 Weekender
    1997 Searay Sea Rayder F-16

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    Engine(s)
    QSM-11 Diesels

Quote Originally Posted by dpmulvey View Post
    Sure! You put small cubes down the pump out fitting. My tank is completely seperate from my vacuflush and the macerator evacuation line is seperate from the pumpout evacuation line.
    You will have to excuse me for being a non-believer but... I don't believe it. Here's a shot of the seperate tank for a vacuflush system:

There is no way any meaningful amount of ice is going into a traditional tank let alone one plumbed with a dip tube for a vacuflush. The dip tube for the pump out basically goes from the top to the base of the tank and skims the sludge off the bottom and ice is not going to flow through that setup... Additionally, the hose coming out of the top of the tank sometimes goes below the base of the tank and then back up to the pump out fitting on deck so you would have to have some magical levitating ice cubes to make the circuit.

I assume we all agree that putting hard ice cubes down the toilet is a really bad idea.
    Last edited by Four Suns; 07-31-2008 at 04:56 PM.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    240 Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    5L

What if one were to eat a bean burrito, stuff an ice cube up his posterior end and sit on the pump out fitting?

Suddenly I get the image of Old Faithful in the head!
    Seattle, WA
    2007 240DA
    5.0L MPI, Bravo III, FWC, 20" cupped props

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    Engine(s)

You will have to excuse me for being a non-believer but... I don't believe it. Here's a shot of the seperate tank for a vacuflush system:

There is no way any meaningful amount of ice is going into a traditional tank let alone one plumbed with a dip tube for a vacuflush. The dip tube for the pump out basically goes from the top to the base of the tank and skims the sludge off the bottom and ice is not going to flow through that setup... Additionally, the hose coming out of the top of the tank sometimes goes below the base of the tank and then back up to the pump out fitting on deck so you would have to have some magical levitating ice cubes to make the circuit.

I assume we all agree that putting hard ice cubes down the toilet is a really bad idea.
    I cannot see the picture at work so I cannot comment whether the setup is the same as mine or not.

I offered a suggestion based on what works for me. If one finds the suggestion to be of little or no value, fine. If one's system is set up in a way that makes trying this suggestion impossible by laws of physics, that is fine as well. I have no ides what setup the original poster in the UK has. Again, it was merely a suggestion.
    Best Regards,
    David