Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.CBangler.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Page 1 of 73 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: 420 DA Thread

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    07 52 DB Truly Blessed III R6800 CRM MANs Thundering Towers of Teutonic Torque 2010 Nautica 12' RIB,
    Engine(s)
    MAN R6800 CRMs

420 DA Thread

Rob,
    I swapped my racors every 40 hours. Honestly, it was only necessary the first time. After the first 40 hours with the boat I was getting an intermittent RPM surge on the port main. It was fuel starvation, as suggested by the rather smug and arrogant webmaster at boatdiesel.com
    Once I swapped racors, combined with maintenance biocide dosing with every fill up, I was good to go. I continued to change racors every 40 hours but that was overkill. With good fuel system maintenance and no loads of bad fuel I think I am set to do them once per season.
    Aftercoolers are good. Zincs are in good shape and I am going to install new impellers in the spring to avoid getting pieces of a worn impeller into the aftercooler.
    Had to swap out the impeller on the Onan after it went south..an easy 20 minute job..getting the chunks of impeller out of the onan heat exchanger was a bit more difficult, but very do-able.
    When the second set of racors for the mains came out looking good, I elected not to change my generator racor. That one is a real pain to get to and I will save that for this spring when I am feeling energetic and there is plenty of advil available.
    Overall, love the boat. 147 hours, 3020 gallons of fuel burned for an average of 20.5 GPH. Not bad for 45' and 14 tons loaded for battle cruising at 24-25 knots.
    I cut shrink wrap, install canvas and isenglass, open seacocks, and light the fires in the thundering cathedrals of torque in 45 days...but who is counting?
    regards
    Skip

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    370 Sundancer 1995
    Engine(s)
    8.1s (2013) w/ V drives

Re: 420 DA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Skip
    I cut shrink wrap, install canvas and isenglass, in 45 days...but who is counting?
    regards
    Skip
    Hey Skip,

That would make it March 3rd, I always cut my baggie off the first "good" weekend in March. Maybe you could do one of those countdown ticker type things like FC - 3 did. I used his when I first joined SRO, but the final date got changed so much I had to bail............

John
    '95 370 DA w/T8.1s (2013) - "Michele Ann"
    '99 210 BR w/5.0 & Alpha 1 - "XRAVENX"
    '88 Laguna 21 w/150 Yamaha - "Pigtail"

Past Sea Rays - '88 268DA, '89 280DA, '90 310/330DA
    http://clubsearay.com/signaturepics/sigpic473_1.gif

Hey Rob / Skip -
    Good to see you back here, and once again, I see we have our beloved 420 thread going...if we could only paste in the old comments we all had!!

The most interesting problem I have had is a TON of bad fittings on the water lines in the boat...who has ever heard of bad brass fittings?? WEll - I got them all I think. End of the year, we thought there was a crack in the hull do to a prior incident (oops); luckily found out it wasn't - it was...another bad fitting! argh! Dealer has taken care of these though...

I have to pull my impellers this weekend - forgot about it - but it's only been out of the water for 1 month... But, will pull them... Hopefully going back in late march - but, who knows, winter might come in March this year!!!

All else has been good - the biggest complaint I probably have and I know Rob had this one - the water heater SUCKS! My 360 was 10 times better - much faster recovery, etc. This one, just can't do it!!

Jared
    Oops - I think I hit something!

Boat
    SeaRay
    Details
    44DA
    Engine(s)
    Cummins QSC 8.3's
    The water heater... LOL that meakes me laugh...I spoke to people at searay about stuff in general and the water heater they say is the least of there complaints.... Im like no way... 8 gallon water heater on 2 head boat ... come on.... oh and the sink... They are getting complaints of the sink being too small but due to the cook top there stuck with it ..

They also said no one has complained about the racor location other then me ... Go figure...

Skip,
    i got bad fuel too....long story..... but like ive said 100 x's with hot motors ur not going anywhere near them..... BAD Very bad...

I had water and what looked like ssand... both tanks....

SO pissed...

So now i need to get the bottoms cleaned... its still there ... waiting to mess with me ....

To be continued........

Glad we found each other
    44 Dancer, JUST 4 PLAY

I think what happens is the dealers don't pass the compalints on! I don't have time to call Sea Ray myself...or energy with the list I would have...but, my dealer knows!!

Get rid of the stove or go to a 2 burner... I have NEVER used mine in my last 2 boats!! Kind of a waste if you ask me - others might use it ???

Yes, small sink...arghhh...

I would rather have a dishwasher instead of the stove :-) No we would be talk'n!! And the coffee maker - go to the coffee store - easier :-)

Racors - agree - I haven't even thought about how I am going to bend to get to mine in spring!! Bad fuel...I am lucky - have NOT had a problem here all year - nor have I heard of anyone...phew!

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    520 Sundancer 2006
    Engine(s)
    2 x 698 MAN's
    Guys, I'm looking at a 2004 42. Anything to look for during inspection?
    "Solvation" on Michigan's Great Lake, the Shore of Beautiful Little Bay de Noc

SR2006 520 DA

Hey Salvation - I remember chatting with you before - good ol' Escanaba!! Hopefully this summer i will make it up there via boat (I drive all the time, tons of fam).

From my view, it's a good sturdy boat...most of the complaints we have had are just dumb design features - things that you either live with or ???

I.E., - small water heater...small kitchen sink...a cozy forward head..

I am hoping you are looking at Diesels - not the gas - I know there are a few gas out there...

That all said, there is nothing that I have heard of or seen that I would be extra careful for on a inspection of one.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    520 Sundancer 2006
    Engine(s)
    2 x 698 MAN's
    Actually I saw the boat in Sturgeon Bay But it now is in Peawaukee (sp). Not far from you. I used to live and work in Milwaukee at the Hyatt. Great area!
    "Solvation" on Michigan's Great Lake, the Shore of Beautiful Little Bay de Noc

SR2006 520 DA

Boat
    SeaRay
    Details
    44DA
    Engine(s)
    Cummins QSC 8.3's
    Cutting edge has it right.... Great boat just stuff that gets u scratching ur head.....

Good luck

Rob
    44 Dancer, JUST 4 PLAY

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    07 52 DB Truly Blessed III R6800 CRM MANs Thundering Towers of Teutonic Torque 2010 Nautica 12' RIB,
    Engine(s)
    MAN R6800 CRMs
    Solvation,
    This is my 3d Sea Ray--we started with a 260DA in August 04, 320DA in May 05, (both 2002 model year boats) and the 03 420DA in March of this year...and I am done. This is the right boat for us.

Wht engines and trannies in the 04--same as mine or common rail with electronic controls? Am guessing common rail QSCs?

My 03 has C series Cummins 450s mated to ZF 280 Series IV transmissions. There is a lot of room in the engine spaces to DIY. Take a good look at the forward portion, near the bottom, of the ZF trannies. There you will see a large cap. It is 22MM. Behind it sits the ZF transmission filter, whcih is supposed to be cleaned every season. Mine had never been cleaned; I know this because the white factory cummins paint was still on the copper crush washer behind the 22mm cap. This will allow you to raise the BS flag on annual tranny maintenance.

Honestly, I've not come across much I'd change. I think Sea Ray nailed it in the first model year. The C series Cummins are the perfect match. No matter how I have her loaded, she comes on plane quick and easy with zero tabs and almost no bow rise...and she comes off plane smoothly without soaking the swim platform.

I don't have hard top, thruster, or cockpit A/C and heat, but my boat has every other major factory option available in 03. In this model year the flat panel is mounted to a cabinet, which I prefer to the later flip down design. I also have SR Navigator by Maptech--I really like that system, and Maptech has been great about sending me S/W updates, even though I am the second owner. One silly thing, at least on my boat: the fluxgate compass for the Raymarine ST 7001 Autopilot is mounted behind and to the port side of the glove box. I had a small magnet in the glove box and could not for the life of me figure why the boat wanted to head to Canada when I engaged the autopilot. Found the magnet, after disassembling half the helm. Some kid at the factory forgot to put the "Warning Compass Area" sticker in the glove box. Oh well.

Other must haves for me: Glendinning sunchronizer, engine oil change system, and the ray autopilot. The synchrnoizer and autopilot make long cruises an absolute pleasure, and the oil change pump/manifold makes routine maintenance a snap.

The boat is responsive, easy to handle in close quarters, very comfortable in 3-4' chop at a steady 22 knots, and can take the bigger stuff so long as you slow down. You will definitely want to call Sea Ray with the HIN of the boat you are looking at and get the warranty history. Cummins and ZF will gie you the history of the engines and trannies if you give them the serial number.

All in all, a great boat.

Shoot away with questions, and I will do my best to answer them.

regards
    Skip