Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.CBangler.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I'm with Jeremy. The farther I can keep my gel coat away from those ramp docks the better. If I ever do have to tie up, it's a big production with lines and fenders and worry.

When we load, my wife drives the boat and pretty much coasts onto the trailer bunks. We go just fast enough to maintain contol. I winch the last couple of feet. Is this power loading or not?
    Bob K
    2004 180 Sport

2. Quote Originally Posted by 280 SeaRay
    Are there really non-concrete/non-asphalt ramps?
    Most of the ramps by me are just dirt/sand. The only concrete/asphalt ones are at marinas. If fact the one in my neighborhood is actually wood, because the concrete has crumbles so, the lag bolted treated wood under there. NJ isn't exactly known for well maintained ramps. Most of the concrete and asphalt one are in terrible disrepair. And you will never see those big multi lane ramps around here.

Boat
    SeaRay
    Details
    2006 SeaRay Sundeck 240
    Engine(s)
    5.0MPI Mercruiser w/ Bravo III
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck1
    Quote Originally Posted by First Born
    Greg,

Never really see the point of doing it (power loading).

Wesley
    Wesley with the smaller/lighter boats you don't really have to worry about it. Never really had to do it with my 15 to 17 footers. With the weight of 240 do it any time I can now.
    I'm going to have to agree to power loading and unloading on the 240. I have the 240 and a float on magictilt trailer and MM told us to power on and off. So far the ramps I've gone to have all been concreate and short and not very steep and then the water will be low. Even Backing the trailer all the way down the ramp till only the front set of wheels of the trailer are left on the ramp the boat normally won't push off so I have to climb up the front ladder get in the boat and power it off.

Getting it on the first time I tried not powering it on and let me tell you cranking a 240 a few feet onto a bunk trailer is not something I wish on any one. When I was done I had to sit down and rest my arms were jello and it took me almost an hour my arms were like jello I couldn't do anything for 30 minutes after I was done.

Now I power on but I still put the trailer in as far as I can to use as little power as possible but let me tell you only takes a couple of minutes now and no jello arms and I'm out of the way for the next person in line.

If people are conserned about the environment then they should tell the ramp owners to make better longer steeper ramps so I can FLOAT off and FLOAT on.

Re: Dock Ramp Ediquitte

hmm....we were taught to "power load" by our salesman at MarineMax! He taught us to trim up about half way, motor up to the bunks, once we were resting on the bunks we were told to hook the chain up and give it a little gas to help push the boat up while you crank it up in the front. That way there is less strain on the hook on the front of the boat. We've been told that we were doing it the correct way at the ramp by others as well....

any comments????

2006 200 Select
    5.0 Bravo III
    "The Main Event"

Boat
    Searay
    Details
    240 Sundeck
    Engine(s)
    540cid w/BIII

Re: Dock Ramp Ediquitte

I've never seen anyone float on here in this part of the country.

To me, power loading (only way we do it) is up to the bow roller. If by myself, or sometimes I just double check because "it's good" to some people is if the boat has part of a trailer under it, I power up, bump the roller and hold it there while getting the winch strap snug and the cable attached. Once secured, I power down, off and tilt up.
    Searay 240 Sundeck