Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2005 Sea Ray 270 SUNDECK
    Engine(s)
    2012 Mercruiser 383 Stroker W/ Bravo III

Re: Departure Check List

As far as flushing your motor after every use in salt water...what do people who keep their boats in the water in a slip for the whole season do?

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2006 240 sundeck. 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 or 2003 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A, Lowrance HDS7 gps/plotter,
    Engine(s)
    Mercruser 5.0 MPI BravoIII

Dotty-We operate out 240SD in salt water most of the time. We flush after every use. We use a product called Salt a Way. It really works great. We flush the engine first, the use the remains in the canister to wash down the boat, prior to a good washing. I have operated boats in salt water for over 40 yrs we have always flushed the motors after each outing. In fact for me this is the most important part of my post trip maintenence/clean up!

2006 SeaRay 240 SD...Lowrance HDS7...5.0/Bravo3

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2006 240 sundeck. 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 or 2003 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A, Lowrance HDS7 gps/plotter,
    Engine(s)
    Mercruser 5.0 MPI BravoIII

Most don't do anything, some install a flush system on the raw water lines and use a hose at the dock to flush with fresh water. These systems allow you to flush the internals. A friend has it on his 280 Sundancer that stays at his dock on the ICW most of the year.

2006 SeaRay 240 SD...Lowrance HDS7...5.0/Bravo3

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    260 Sundeck, 2012
    Engine(s)
    5.0L Bravo III

I'd echo this advice. There is some debate about corrosion. Some say it doesn't matter if you flush in salt water since the cast iron manifolds will rust with fresh or salt water. To me, the minor cost (~$350.00) to have the flush system installed by the dealer was a no-brainer. Seems logical that a fresh water rinse after a salt water ride is a good thing. Even if it doesn't make a big difference, it establishes you as someone who takes excellent care of your boat and should help at re-sale time . Only warning is that using the flush system is a bit counter-intuitive. If you turn on the fresh water supply and wait too long to start the engine, you can fill the engine with water. NOT a good idea! Make certain you have an on/off valve at the end of the quick disconnect hose at the engine fitting so you can start the engine and within a couple of seconds turn on the water.
    To me, the only area of debate is whether the product, Salt A Way adds value. I sometimes use it, at other times not. Appreciate thoughts from others on this.