Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.CBangler.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Port St. lucie Florida and all connecting water
    Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    390 ec,Ray marine Radar,Plotter.Watertender 8.8 /Johnson 2.5 motor/ST. Croix davits
    Engine(s)
    Mercury 7.4 straight drives Westerberke 5.5

Re: Marina Etiquette Tips

I think you'll find that 9 out of 10 times it's not the pet's fault but , like most children it was who taught them or who's suppose to be watching them....Rip

Boat
    Sea Ray/Wellcraft
    Details
    1987 Sea Ray 270 Sundancer Previous: 1990 Sea Ray 350 Sundancer 1994 Stryker 2150 1987 Ebbtide 19
    Engine(s)
    T-350 mags Alpha one drives

I can think of one more....If you see a group of boats or just one at anchor out of the channel that doesn't mean "hey there is a good spot to go in circles while pulling people on a tube". That is one of my biggest complaints. Everytime I am out this almost seems to happen. It seems only like sweet justice when I am coming in for the day a see "said" boat floating in the channel. This wake is for you Mr all day driving in circles inner tuber puller....cheers

Boat
    Sea ray
    Details
    300 Sundancer 1996
    Engine(s)
    twin 350 mercs with Aplha drives

What is the ettiqutte for tipping dock boy, gas guy, mechanic, etc?

Did anyone give a gift to these guys for the holidays?

Just a thought?

Wisconsin - Winnebago Pool chain of lakes
    Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    280 Sundancer, Westerbeke MPV generator
    Engine(s)
    twin 5.0's w/BIII drives

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyA View Post

Just a thought?
    The answer is there is no consensus like there is with traditional sit down dining.
    My answers:

Gas = no

Mechanic = if they did something extra. Say they got you back running on a weekend when you were in need of repairs, helped you, gave you some helpful education, basically went above and beyond.

Dock boy = I have no frame of reference to help you on this one. At our marina we help each other if there is wind or you just happen to be close by as they come in. I don’t tip fellow slip renters other then I help them as they come in, general friendship, etc.
    2003 280 Sundancer twin 5.0 BIII
    Westerbeke MPV Gen added Feb '08
    Presentation

Where we're going we don't need roads-Emmit Brown a.k.a Doc

Boat
    SeaRay
    Details
    1992 370 ec
    Engine(s)
    twin cummins 6bta's 300 hp Rl80 pathfinder radar/chartplotter,SH 2150 matrix vhf w/ais quicksilver 8

Ok so watch your pets.Children at our marina are required to wear life jackets under the age of 12 i think while on a dock or boat in the marina,and are all supposed to be adult supervised while on the premissis.This hardly happens,we have a group that allows thier kids and thier kids friends to swim in the marina ,as in run as fast as possible down a hill onto a dock down the dock and jump off into the main fairway.Quite noisy and someone will get hurt.The club commandant put a advisory in the club paper but it didnt help.What would you do?ps our docks are made of man made lumber so they can get sippery.
    [SIGPIC]

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2005 320 Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    Twin 6.2 Mercruiser w/V-Drives

Quote Originally Posted by 1956olds View Post
    we have a group that allows thier kids and thier kids friends to swim in the marina ,as in run as fast as possible down a hill onto a dock down the dock and jump off into the main fairway.
    There was an article in one of the boating magazines over the summer that talked about the extreme danger of swimming around the docks. The article talked about parents who let their kids swim at the marina around the boats. There was a boat with a poor electrical grounding system leaking electricity into the water. When the child swam close enough to that boat, he was electrocuted and died. It seems that common sense should have prevented this tragedy. Maybe that dock master should find and distribute that article. That would hopefully drive the point home about how dangerous that practice is...

Mike

P.S. (in keeping with the topic) I think it would be proper etiquette to tell those parents of the danger they put they children in by allowing them to do that.
    Last edited by MAKC; 02-02-2011 at 03:51 PM. Reason: spelling errors
    Mike
    "Serenity Now!"
    2005 Sundancer 320 - Twin 6.2L V-Drives
    Previous Boat: 2003 240 Sundancer 5.0 B3

Boat
    SeaRay
    Details
    1992 370 ec
    Engine(s)
    twin cummins 6bta's 300 hp Rl80 pathfinder radar/chartplotter,SH 2150 matrix vhf w/ais quicksilver 8

Ok i will ,also i did tip the guy that bottom washes our boat in the fall .20 bucks and he went down and powerwashed the bilge for me .He would of done it for free but he did such a nice job i thought he deserved it.also the gas dock dude is very helpfull but i feel a tip is unnecessary considering gas prices ,i do make sure he knows i appreciate the help docking and fueling though.Ever been to mitzys on the detroit river/ noew those girls deserve a tip for helping dock and fuel!
    [SIGPIC]

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    260DA
    Engine(s)

Just a thought?

Gas Guy- couple of bucks for fuel only as long as i dont have to do much.

Gas Guy/ With Pump Out- $5 or 10 depending on whether he rinses the holding tank and then pumps out again.

Dock hand at bar/ rest- couple of bucks for helping with lines

Mechanic- never have but if above and beyond service is offered I supposed I would

Boat
    Sea Ray & Glastron Carlson
    Details
    1990 270 Sundancer, 2003 Ford Excursion 4x4 Limited
    Engine(s)
    454 merCruiser w/Bravo 1

I pump gas at our boat club but were also open to the public. I get some cash tips, a few beers, bottle of wine, etc. from a few customers and always a thank you because I always say it. Most customers know I'm a boater and use the gas dock myself so they are always happy we are there for them. We are the only fuel on the river and run it as a non-profit benefit to our members and others to promote boating. I enjoy doing it because we're only open 1-5pm Sat, Sun and Holidays (not the best boating times). I like weekdays, evenings and smooth water.....not that the 270 really is bothered by boat wakes. I get paid enough to cover my boating and buy my fuel at cost.....not a bad deal and I get to meet great people and talk boats! We sell about 7,000 gal a summer....Mike.

Boat
    c ray
    Details
    230 weekender- -310 sundancer
    Engine(s)
    454 Mercruiser w/Bravo III- -twin 7.4 mfi w/Bravo III's

Just a thought?

i think tipping the gas attendant is in order just as much as you would tip a cab driver, restaurant person, or any other.

we do $5. maybe not much, but that and a thank you seem to make them happy. and the gas docks i deal with help tie up when we pull in, and shove off.

the attendant hasn't any control over the price of gas. i don't feel the price of gas is a fair reason, to justifies not helping the attendant a bit.
    if you can afford $100 to $300 per fill, $5 likely wont break you.
    "88" 230 weekender ''2000" 310 sundancer