Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2006 320 V-Drives 6.2s, Bow Thruster, Generator, Raymarine C80, Radar, Fish Finder
    Engine(s)
    6.2 Horizons 320HP

NJ DMV requires a boating safety certificate to add Boat to Drivers license

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

I just got back from renewing my NJ drivers license. I have, or I should say, had an endorsement for a motorcycle and boat. The DMV clerk asked me for my "boating certificate" in order to keep my existing boat endorsement. I wasn't aware of this new rule and I did not have my Power Squadron or PWC safety certificate with me. She told me I can bring it in and they will add the endorsement back.

I'm not sure what to make of this. Does this mean that my Drivers license will now serve as proof that I have passed a safety class? I'm sure all of the police will be up to speed on this is going to work. I will probably add the endorsement back, but I will still keep my boating safety certificate with me on the boat and PWC.

Ryker Bella
    2006 320
    V-Drives 6.2's
    Generator/Bow Thruster

Boat
    2001 540 Cockpit Motor Yacht
    Details
    Raymarine/Raytheon electronics, Sat TV, Yacht Controller
    Engine(s)
    2003 Caterpillar C-12s Twin Disc Transmissions

Re: NJ DMV requires a boating safety certificate to add Boat to Drivers license

The following site the requires for a boat operators license for the State of New Jersey. Note that it references non tidal waters for an operators license for a boat or jet ski. Something tells me that to operate a jet ski in tidal waters you do need a license. The license is requireed to operate a motor boat or jet ski on non tidal waters

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/Motorboat.htm
    Mr Salt
    2001 540 CPMY
    Caterpillar C-12s
    Cape May, NJ

Boat
    None
    Details
    Boatless
    Engine(s)
    Boatless

The boating license and the Safety Certificate are two different animals. Even if you have the boat endorsement on your license, you still need to carry the certificate when on your boat.

At least that was the way it was explained to me.
    Sea Sparks
    Master Marine Electrician
    Member ABYC

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2005 Sundancer 260
    Engine(s)
    496 Magnum HO

What do people who don't drive cars do? An ID card with a boating endorsement?

And you can be President without showing anybody your birth certificate. Go figure.
    "Outside the Lines"
    Millers Island, MD
    MMSI: 338079052

I liked the economy better when trickle down was still running. Would someone PLEASE turn it back on?

Boat
    Larson
    Details
    Cabrio
    Engine(s)
    Volvo Drivetrain

Quote Originally Posted by SeaSparks View Post
    The boating license and the Safety Certificate are two different animals. Even if you have the boat endorsement on your license, you still need to carry the certificate when on your boat.

At least that was the way it was explained to me.
    You are correct. The boating license is basically useless because NJ requires ANY operator to have a safety certificate whether in tidal or non-tidal waters.

Edit: Let me retract my statement. The boating certificate IS required anywhere you boat in NJ, but if you boat in non-tidal waters, the state apparently wants the license in addition to the certificate too.

Read these two pages -

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/maritime/faq.html
    http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf...nse-021606.pdf

Doug
    Last edited by douglee25; 02-09-2010 at 04:07 PM.

Boat
    None
    Details
    Boatless
    Engine(s)
    Boatless

Quote Originally Posted by douglee25 View Post
    You are correct. The boating license is basically useless because NJ requires ANY operator to have a safety certificate whether in tidal or non-tidal waters.

Doug
    It's all part of living in the best state around.

It should be a uniformed system across the board. One license, and maybe endorsements, just like a CDL. One for jetskis, one for fresh water, one for pleasure boating, and one for commercial use.
    Sea Sparks
    Master Marine Electrician
    Member ABYC

Boat
    Larson
    Details
    Cabrio
    Engine(s)
    Volvo Drivetrain

I half retracted my statement.

NJ is ghey. I can't wait to get out of here in another two months!

Doug

Boat
    2001 540 Cockpit Motor Yacht
    Details
    Raymarine/Raytheon electronics, Sat TV, Yacht Controller
    Engine(s)
    2003 Caterpillar C-12s Twin Disc Transmissions

Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    What do people who don't drive cars do? An ID card with a boating endorsement?.
    Nj use to issue (and it still may, I don't know for sure) boater licenses to people who could not get a drivers license so they would have a means of offical state identification. It was a special license but looked like a drivers license. They also have an add on to your drivers license for $10. My wife used to have the add on until she realized it did nothing for her except give another $10 to the state.
    Mr Salt
    2001 540 CPMY
    Caterpillar C-12s
    Cape May, NJ

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2001 380DA
    Engine(s)
    Merc 8.1S Horizons (2008)...Hurth ZF 63 V-drives...Westerbeke 7.0 BCGD... Raytheon RL80C, Garmn740s

As stated above, you must take the boating safety course in NJ. When you complete the course, the State Police issue you a crummy laminated card that says you can operate a boat. When you got to the MVA and renew your drivers license, if you show them your boating saftey course crappy laminated card and pay an extra $12 (?), they'll put "BOAT" in the upper right corner. My understanding is that if you get stopped by the "authorities," despite the BOAT endorsement, you had better have that laminated card as proof. Vince, I seem to recall your story about a routine boarding last year up in Raritan Bay - did they ask for the card or did your DL suffice?

Hey, look on the bright side - you saved a few bucks!
    Last edited by rondds; 02-09-2010 at 08:25 PM.

_____Day Tripper_____

Previous boats: 1988 Regal Sebring 19' cuddy; 2002 Crownline 262CR; 1989 Sea Ray 340DB

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    52 Sedan Bridge, Raymarine E120 Wide's,
    Engine(s)
    Cummins QSM-11's

So what would the "authorities" expect to see from an out of state boater?
    Brian

2006 52 Sedan Bridge QSM-11's
    2006 44 Sedan Bridge QSC 500's
    2006 40 Sundancer 8.1HO
    2003 320 Sundancer 350Magnum I/B's