Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    340 Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    7.4 MPI

Garmin fuel flow sensors

Has anyone here used the Garmin GFS-10 fuel flow sensor with Mercruiser 7.4 MPI engines? I have a Sea Ray 340da with 7.4 MPIs that I would like to add the fuel flow function to my Garmin 4212. The GFS-10 is made with 3/8" barb fittings and is rated at up to 50 gph. My mechanic says the fuel lines are 1/2". Not quite sure what to do. Any suggestions?
    Rick & Vicki Morrison
    Summer Home
    2001 Sundancer 340DA

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2005 320 Sundancer, Garmin 5208
    Engine(s)
    Twin V-Drives 350 Mags

Re: Garmin fuel flow sensors

Have you seen the new Merc Monitor gauge? It now allows you to collect all the data from the smartcraft sensors; and not only see it on the gauge but it now will talk to NMEA 2000 allowing you to show the data on the Garmin Chartplotter. You can also then use the GFS 10 as well as a separate gauge if you want just fuel info on it.. The Merc Monitors I saw at the Miami Boat show and can't wait to be able to get them for my boat. For twin engines it runs right around $1,000.00, and I think the GFS runs around $400.00?
    2005 Sea Ray 320 Sundancer Sunny Daze
    Twin 350 Mercruser V Drives
    MMSI #338046562
    barry.g@mac.com

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    40 Sundancer 1999
    Engine(s)
    7.4 Horizons

I purchased the Garmin Fuel Flow Meters (GFS-10) last fall and had them installed over the winter. Haven't run the boat yet...but did see they are communicating. Can't wait to find the sweet spot for efficiency/speed.

I would imagine you can find fittings to take care of the different sizes at any decent marine retailer. Won't be to the boat for a few weeks or I'd look at it and let you know.

Good luck.
    Matt & Keli Beecroft
    "Poorhouse"
    '99 400DA
    Slipped in Sandusky Bay, OH

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    340 Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    7.4 MPI

I would be interested in knowing how it works out when you get it running. If you think about it after you've tried it out please email me at rlmorrison@earthlink.net

Where are you in Sandusky Bay? We're over at Huron Lagoons

Thanks
    Rick & Vicki Morrison
    Summer Home
    2001 Sundancer 340DA

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2001 460 DA
    Engine(s)
    Cummins 6CTA's

I also have the MPI 7.4 and a 5212, I would love to add the functionality. Please let us know how you make out.

Thanks
    Russ Calasant

"Debtfinder"
    2001 460 DA
    Cummins 6CTA

MacRay Harbor, MI / Cedar Point, OH / Miami, FL
    Boat
    SeaRay
    Details
    1997 400DA / 1999 280BR Project Boat
    Engine(s)
    340HP 7.4 Mercruisers / Twin 250HP Merc 350's w/ Alphas

Quote Originally Posted by BeeBoating View Post
    I purchased the Garmin Fuel Flow Meters (GFS-10) last fall and had them installed over the winter. Haven't run the boat yet...but did see they are communicating. Can't wait to find the sweet spot for efficiency/speed.

I would imagine you can find fittings to take care of the different sizes at any decent marine retailer. Won't be to the boat for a few weeks or I'd look at it and let you know.

Good luck.
    Matt, I'm interested in this as well. I'm looking fwd to hearing your results.

1997 400DA
    340 HP Merc 7.4L Bluewaters
    7.0 BCG Wester-beast, Hurth V-drives

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    340 Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    7.4 MPI

Have you had a chance to try out the fuel sensors with your Garmin? Is it worth the money and trouble?

Thanks
    Rick & Vicki Morrison
    Summer Home
    2001 Sundancer 340DA

Boat
    sea ray
    Details
    2002 225 weekender
    Engine(s)
    5.0 260hp

I had it installed with the new Garmin 546s I am new to boating so a quick answer is yes I like it. The sensor gives you a lot of information If anyone wants detailed information PM me If you have a Garmin and no other fuel monitor you should get this it is that good
    That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1999 310 Sundancer, Garmin 5208, GMR18HD and other toys.
    Engine(s)
    Twin 5.7 mercruisers w/ v-drives.

Quote Originally Posted by jrock1062 View Post
    I had it installed with the new Garmin 546s I am new to boating so a quick answer is yes I like it. The sensor gives you a lot of information If anyone wants detailed information PM me If you have a Garmin and no other fuel monitor you should get this it is that good

Can you post the info for all to see?
    "Happy Place"

Boat
    sea ray
    Details
    2002 225 weekender
    Engine(s)
    5.0 260hp

Quote Originally Posted by arcticspud View Post
    Can you post the info for all to see?

First some info on the installation and what your going to need, If you have a unit (I have a 546S) and a transducer without a NEMA 2000 system in place you need to buy not only the sensor, but you will need to get the starter kit from garmin, this you can get for around $100. In the sensor kit you don't get the cable you will need or the NEMA 2000 backbone which you will need to create to have the sensor talk with your unit.Just so you know you are going to need to get power to the backbone (12 volts) so you may want to create the backbone in the engine area.

Once you have everything communicating with each other you will have to set the levels to your boat, Garmin does a great job with this as there are plenty of options. Now that you have it all set for your boat and communicating it will start generating the information. It gives you gallons per mile, how many gallons are in your tank, how many miles you can travel with the amount of fuel on the boat and how many gallons you are burning an hour .

Now I am not real good at this yet so there may be people with more experience than me but there are two ways to get this information.First, is from the home screen scroll down to information, open it and you will see where it says dashboard once you click on that you should See an option for fuel click that and it give you all the information and graphics. BTW when your installing the sensor if you want to see if your unit and sensor is communication this would be the way to check because if it is not recognizing the sensor there will be no fuel option under dashboard. The next is you can add a bar on the chart page the advantage of this is that you can still see the charts plus the fuel information the drawback is its another bar so it reduces the size of the chart by one full bar.

When I first had this installed I had a few issues,some of which I gave you a heads up on i this post.Now that all the bugs are worked out the sensor works great and I can not imagine not having the information it gives you. There is no way you run out of gas, it basically tells you whether or not you have enough gas to make your destination and you can find the sweet spot on what RPM'S to run your boat. If anyone is thinking of buying and installing the sensor I would be Glad to help just PM me hope this post helps
    That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness