Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1999 400 DA
    Engine(s)
    Cat 3116

Re: Lake Erie to Florida

The height restrictions on the Erie Canal are 15' from Tonowandas (Buffalo) to Three Rivers (Syracuse) then 20' on to the Hudson. (http://www.canals.ny.gov/index.html) I would recommend taking the Erie Canal from Buffalo all the way across upstate NY and avoid the Welland Canal. The western portion is mostly slow going (10 MPH) and it may add a day but it's cheaper, protected from the weather, the locks are easier, and you avoid the hassle of U S Customs and Welland scheduling. In addition most of the towns have free dockage.

Know your cruising range and pre-plan your fuel stops since south of NYC you may find that gas availability is limited. It's like trying to find diesel in the Great Lakes, not all marinas have it. Also have towing coverage from TowUS or Sea Tow. You may not need it, but an old adage says "it's not if you run aground in the ICW, but when and how hard".

I would avoid the ICW between Abascon inlet (Atlantic City) and Cape May it's slow going and not maintained. I would also consider going thru the Delaware and Chesapeake rather than going in the North Atlantic from Cape May to Norfolk. Ocean City MD is the only inlet south along the Delmarva coast and the inlet can be a challenge. It's then 150 mi from Ocean City MD to Norfolk with nowhere to get out of the ocean. In addition the Chesapeake is a wonderful area to cruise and tourist.

Be careful of the "rock pile" around Myrtle Beach; and south of Charleston thru Georgia to Jacksonville the marinas may be scarce and the shoaling is constantly changing. Dozer's Waterway Guides (http://www.waterwayguide.com/) and Skipper Bob publications (http://www.skipperbob.net/) are good sources of information and the web sites provide pretty good updates on conditions and recommendations.

Depending on the time of year you're traveling; I'd figure on up to 25% (in the fall) for weather delays in Lake Erie, the ocean, and the Outer Banks.

As your planning progresses if you need additional specific info let me know. I'm currently in Norfolk on my 10th passage in the last 5 yrs between Toledo and Charleston. Have fun planning, it's all a part of the adventure.
    Last edited by Progress; 10-07-2010 at 12:09 PM.
    Rick

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    340 Sundancer 2006 390 Sundancer 2005
    Engine(s)
    8.1L Horizons (2006) 8.1L HO (2005)

Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    The height restrictions on the Erie Canal are 15' from Tonowandas (Buffalo) to Three Rivers (Syracuse) then 20' on to the Hudson. (http://www.canals.ny.gov/index.html) I would recommend taking the Erie Canal from Buffalo all the way across upstate NY and avoid the Welland Canal. The western portion is mostly slow going (10 MPH) and it may add a day but it's cheaper, protected from the weather, the locks are easier, and you avoid the hassle of U S Customs and Welland scheduling. In addition most of the towns have free dockage.

Know your cruising range and pre-plan your fuel stops since south of NYC you may find that gas availability is limited. It's like trying to find diesel in the Great Lakes, not all marinas have it. Also have towing coverage from TowUS or Sea Tow. You may not need it, but an old adage says "it's not if you run aground in the ICW, but when and how hard".

I would avoid the ICW between Abascon inlet (Atlantic City) and Cape May it's slow going and not maintained. I would also consider going thru the Delaware and Chesapeake rather than going in the North Atlantic from Cape May to Norfolk. Ocean City MD is the only inlet south along the Delmarva coast and the inlet can be a challenge. It's then 150 mi from Ocean City MD to Norfolk with nowhere to get out of the ocean. In addition the Chesapeake is a wonderful area to cruise and tourist.

Be careful of the "rock pile" around Myrtle Beach; and south of Charleston thru Georgia to Jacksonville the marinas may be scarce and the shoaling is constantly changing. Dozer's Waterway Guides (http://www.waterwayguide.com/) and Skipper Bob publications (http://www.skipperbob.net/) are good sources of information and the web sites provide pretty good updates on conditions and recommendations.

Depending on the time of year you're traveling; I'd figure on up to 25% (in the fall) for weather delays in Lake Erie, the ocean, and the Outer Banks.

As your planning progresses if you need additional specific info let me know. I'm currently in Norfolk on my 10th passage in the last 5 yrs between Toledo and Charleston. Have fun planning, it's all a part of the adventure.
    Rick-

Thank much. this is quite helpful. Didn't realize the ICW has drawbacks....had always assumed (incorrectly) that was the preferred route, since you are out of ocean. I understood from an earlier post that a better route is down the mississippi since you travel with current. some folks from our club did that a few yrs ago and complained about the debris.....downed trees, etc. Lots of info to consider before embarking on a trip like this!

Frank

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1996 450DA, TNT, Caribe dink w/15hp OB.
    Engine(s)
    3126 427HP TD transmissions

You have to worry about trees everywhere.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1999 Sundancer 370 DA
    Engine(s)
    7.4 MPI Horizon V Drives

When you check the web for New York Canal System check the "News, Notices and Alerts" they will let know of anything closed. The entire system is closed now due to high water from all the rain we got last Thursday when that storm came up the coast. Keep us all posted. You will go wright past us on the Oneida River. We dock at Pirates Cove Marina in Clay, NY. We are on the fuel dock.
    Last edited by connie garcy; 10-07-2010 at 06:37 PM.
    Connie G
    1999 Sundancer 370 DA
    7.4L MAG MPI HORIZON

Boat
    Sea Ray (Everything else is Just a Boat)
    Details
    Looking For Next One
    Engine(s)
    Looking For Next One

Quote Originally Posted by Sindbad View Post
    Rick-

Thank much. .... I understood from an earlier post that a better route is down the mississippi since you travel with current. some folks from our club did that a few yrs ago and complained about the debris.....downed trees, etc. Lots of info to consider before embarking on a trip like this!

Frank
    Have you checked out the TenTom route yet?

Previous Boat:
    2006 240 SunDeck, MS Judy, 350 MAG BR3
    North GA Mountains http://www.ssg-i.com

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    340 Sundancer 2006 390 Sundancer 2005
    Engine(s)
    8.1L Horizons (2006) 8.1L HO (2005)

Quote Originally Posted by chuck1 View Post
    Have you checked out the TenTom route yet?

Not familiar with it. Where do I locate?

Boat
    Sea Ray (Everything else is Just a Boat)
    Details
    Looking For Next One
    Engine(s)
    Looking For Next One

Ohio River to the Tenessee River to MM 215 south on Tombigbee to Mobile then the ICWW to FL.

Previous Boat:
    2006 240 SunDeck, MS Judy, 350 MAG BR3
    North GA Mountains http://www.ssg-i.com