Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New York
    Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    245 Weekender
    Engine(s)
    5.0 Mercruiser w/Bravo III
    Posts
    56

    Leaking at Transom Mount

    I am experiencing a slow leak with one of my tabs right at the attachment point to the transom. How do I remove trim tab to inspect further? I removed the mounting screws and the tab would no budge. Not sure if there is a coupling or if there is a direct line from tab to Bennett motor.


    Great To Do Biz with:
    TABMAN

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New Symrna Beach, FL
    Boat
    Other
    Details
    boatless
    Engine(s)
    boatless
    Posts
    463

    Re: Leaking at Transom Mount

    Quote Originally Posted by BoomerangII View Post
    I am experiencing a slow leak with one of my tabs right at the attachment point to the transom. How do I remove trim tab to inspect further? I removed the mounting screws and the tab would no budge. Not sure if there is a coupling or if there is a direct line from tab to Bennett motor.

    BoomerangII,

    Most SeaRay installations use a pipe nipple through the transom that attaches to an elbow that connects to the tubing:



    You will need to remove the elbow to take the actuator off the transom.

    The best way to fix this leak would be to replace the upper hinge on the actuator so that there are good clean threads to screw the pipe nipple into. Changing the upper hinge is quite easy and I would be delighted to send you a replacement at no cherge, just send me a private message with your mailing address.

    On thing to check before I send you a replacement is to see if there is about 1" of piston shaft exposed when the actuator is retracted. If the lower hinge almost touches the cylinder body it would require a different replacement upper hinge.

    Here is a drawing to show you what I mean;



    Let me know what you find and I will be happy to help you get this fixed.

    Tom McGow
    Bennett Marine

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New York
    Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    245 Weekender
    Engine(s)
    5.0 Mercruiser w/Bravo III
    Posts
    56

    Re: Leaking at Transom Mount

    Tom,

    I feel like I stepped back twenty years in time with the level of service you are proposing! Can't tell you how much I appreciate your quick response and free replacement part offer

    I will get back to you this spring with the info you requested (exposed piston spec) since the Boomerang is still snowed in.

    Resprectfully,
    Fred Gibbons


    Great To Do Biz with:
    TABMAN

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New Symrna Beach, FL
    Boat
    Other
    Details
    boatless
    Engine(s)
    boatless
    Posts
    463

    Re: Leaking at Transom Mount

    Fred,

    I will be standing by when the snow melts (I hope it's soon)!

    Tom
    Bennett Marine

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    '85 255 Amberjack
    Engine(s)
    Single 5.7
    Posts
    1,279
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomerangII View Post
    Tom,

    I feel like I stepped back twenty years in time with the level of service you are proposing! Can't tell you how much I appreciate your quick response and free replacement part offer

    I will get back to you this spring with the info you requested (exposed piston spec) since the Boomerang is still snowed in.

    Resprectfully,
    Fred Gibbons
    +1 for great service!




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may be slow, but at least I am enjoying the ride!
    St. Albans Bay, Lake Minnetonka

    Check Out- http://tonkabeer.com/


    A proud member of the "Hole in the Water Club"!


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    St. Petersburg Florida
    Boat
    280 Sundancer
    Details
    2005 280 Sundancer 2004 SPD-104 Achilles w/ 8hp Yamaha
    Engine(s)
    Twin 4.3 MPI's with Alpha drives.
    Posts
    2,880

    Re: Leaking at Transom Mount

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Island Lifer View Post
    +1 for great service!

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had an upper hinge leak last year and Bennett was awesome to deal with including getting me the parts needed. One note though, my tabs did not have the elbow/nipple, mine was a straight shot. I removed the screws from the upper hinge and then took a small knife to slide under the hinge and cut away the 5200. Once I had it free the hinge came off along with the straight nipple and hose still attached and they slid right through the small hole in the transom. I was able to replace mine while the boat was on my lift. I replaced it, slid the hose and nipple back through the hole (I put a lot of 5200 in the hole first) and then 5200 on the back side of the hinge and intalled the screws. Not a bad job overall and the service from Bennett was great.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New York
    Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    245 Weekender
    Engine(s)
    5.0 Mercruiser w/Bravo III
    Posts
    56

    Re: Leaking at Transom Mount

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucit View Post
    I had an upper hinge leak last year and Bennett was awesome to deal with including getting me the parts needed. One note though, my tabs did not have the elbow/nipple, mine was a straight shot. I removed the screws from the upper hinge and then took a small knife to slide under the hinge and cut away the 5200. Once I had it free the hinge came off along with the straight nipple and hose still attached and they slid right through the small hole in the transom. I was able to replace mine while the boat was on my lift. I replaced it, slid the hose and nipple back through the hole (I put a lot of 5200 in the hole first) and then 5200 on the back side of the hinge and intalled the screws. Not a bad job overall and the service from Bennett was great.
    That's what I'm thinking after inspecting the hose from the ER last summer. I found no nipple, just straight run of hose from pump through transom. Thanks for your post, I believe I will be duplicating your repair this spring...


    Great To Do Biz with:
    TABMAN

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    New Symrna Beach, FL
    Boat
    Other
    Details
    boatless
    Engine(s)
    boatless
    Posts
    463

    Re: Leaking at Transom Mount

    Most SeaRays do use the pipe nipple, but some will use what we call a pre-connected fitting. The tubing does run through the transom and is connected right to the upper hinge of the actuator.





    If this is what you find let me know and I will send you a new pre-connect fitting with the upper hinge. The old one is likely covered in sealant and a new one will be easier to install.

    Tom
    Bennett Marine

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New York
    Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    245 Weekender
    Engine(s)
    5.0 Mercruiser w/Bravo III
    Posts
    56

    Re: Leaking at Transom Mount

    Great Tom,

    Looks like a standard compression fitting. Loooong winter here, just getting to the boat this week. Will get the info you need to you by this Monday night.

    Thanks Again Tom!
    Fred


    Great To Do Biz with:
    TABMAN

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MA & Southwest FL
    Boat
    Sea Ray 2006 260 Sundancer w/Kohler 5e Genset
    Details
    2007 RoadKing Tri-Axle Trailer towed by a 2013 Yukon XL K2500
    Engine(s)
    496 MAG Bravo III
    Posts
    1,521

    Re: Leaking at Transom Mount

    Tom,

    I'm having the same leak at the transom wall with my port side upper hinge. It appears I have the same tube straight through to the hinge, w/o the elbow. You can see the through hull bolts for the hinge right behind the resevoir and pump. Should I attempt to seal the leak or is are replacement parts in order?

    Thanks,
    Alegrias
    2006 260DA w/ 496 MAG Bravo III
    Kohler 5e
    MMSI: 338075594
    Other: 1986 Boston Whaler 11 Super Sport w/ 20HP Evinrude

Similar Threads

  1. Transom Mount Transucer Issues
    By Scott W. in forum General Maintenance/Repair Questions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-12-2011, 08:21 AM
  2. Standard Horizon DST521 Transom Mount Triducer
    By dodgetec4 in forum General Parts Classifieds - No Boats
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2011, 05:08 PM
  3. Looking for Stationary Transom Motor Mount
    By Carol1969 in forum Modifications/Customizations
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-23-2010, 12:36 PM
  4. Dash Mount or Flush Mount
    By ggiametta in forum Electronics Q&A
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-31-2010, 08:17 AM
  5. SR STOCK MAGNETIC FLAG POLE/Mount Transom
    By jason78 in forum Sport Boats
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-13-2009, 07:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •