Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchor Help

1. Anchor Help

Guys - New Sea Ray owner here and the boat came from Pittsburgh with a Claw anchor. Doesn't seem to be digging in very well in the sandy bottom of Lake Erie. Everyone around here seems to have Danforth-type (?) anchors with the sharp triangular flutes. They recommended this type of anchor at my local Boater's World.

So - two questions.

1. The claw anchor doesn't have a chain lead and there doesn't seem to be any way of getting the anchor off without cutting the line. With the anchor I want to get, they recommend two feet of chain lead. How do I get the old anchor off and create a new splice to which I can tie my chain? |

2. Will I need to get a new metal receiving plate (?) with the rollers for this type of anchor or are they fairly standard?

Thanks for whatever help you can lend guys. Brad
    Brad Steven
    2003 Sea Ray 280 Sundancer; (2) 5.0L 260HP - Bravo III
    Concord, Ohio

Tampa Bay/Gulf (In a pineapple under the sea)LMAO!

Re: Anchor Help

Quote Originally Posted by bsteven43
    Guys - New Sea Ray owner here and the boat came from Pittsburgh with a Claw anchor. Doesn't seem to be digging in very well in the sandy bottom of Lake Erie. Everyone around here seems to have Hooker-type anchors with the sharp triangular flutes. They recommended this type of anchor at my local Boater's World.

So - two questions.

1. The claw anchor doesn't have a chain lead and there doesn't seem to be any way of getting the anchor off without cutting the line. With the anchor I want to get, they recommend two feet of chain lead. How do I get the old anchor off and create a new splice to which I can tie my chain? |

2. Will I need to get a new metal receiving plate (?) with the rollers for this type of anchor or are they fairly standard?

Thanks for whatever help you can lend guys. Brad
    Cutting the line..!! NO..
    What you need is a FLuke anchor. I only boat in sandy bottoms and that is the best one to use. West marine has them to spec to the size of your boat.

Dont ever cut the line unless you like losing $80 everytime you go out to buy a new anchor.. what you do is move the boat so you drive over it with the bow and it will break loose.. or what i do is take the boat to the point where it just straight down beneth the bow and pull straight up and it will allways breaks loose.. If you pull when you are away from it you will just dig it deeper and never get it out..

Most anchor lines come with a loop in them to you can just hook up a u hook with a screw from the rope to the chain, then one to connect the chain to the anchor. hope this helps..

-c rock
    2007 Searay
    185 Sport
    3.0 merc alPha 1
    And your mama on the back.! ;)

Boat
    SeaRay
    Details
    2006 SeaRay Sundeck 240
    Engine(s)
    5.0MPI Mercruiser w/ Bravo III
    I was told Fortress Anchor's are the best.

Fortress FX-11 Anchor 7lb for Boats 28-32' $149.99 from West Marine

Or buy it from Jim who runs the forums for us at http://www.byownerelectronics.com/st...0&cat=0&page=1

Try that before adding chain, I have no chain on my fluke anchor and it works great in sand. If it's still not holding for you then you might want to try adding a few feet of chain. Just remeber the more chain you add the heavier it will be to lift out of the water.
    2006 Sea Ray Sundeck 240
    MERCRUISER 5.0L MPI BR3 (260 PHP)
    2006 Nissan Titan Crew Cab LE

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    215 Weekender 2006
    Engine(s)
    Merc 5.0 MPI 260 HP
    Brad,

I have been boating on Lake Erie for nearly 40 years. During that time, I have always used a Danforth style anchor without any problems. We never felt the need for adding chain since we never had a problem setting the anchor. I would consider it if I was going to be on the hook overnight. We usually just anchor when swimming at the beach or fishing.

Currently have two Danforth anchors on board - 13# with 1/2" line and an 8# with 3/8" line. Boat came with the smaller anchor, but I felt more comfortable investing a few dollars in the heavier anchor and line.
    Casey
    2006 Sea Ray
    215 WE 5.0L MPI Alpha One
    Lake Erie & Ohio Inland Lakes

5. Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Boater
    Brad,

I have been boating on Lake Erie for nearly 40 years. During that time, I have always used a Danforth style anchor without any problems. We never felt the need for adding chain since we never had a problem setting the anchor. I would consider it if I was going to be on the hook overnight. We usually just anchor when swimming at the beach or fishing.

Currently have two Danforth anchors on board - 13# with 1/2" line and an 8# with 3/8" line. Boat came with the smaller anchor, but I felt more comfortable investing a few dollars in the heavier anchor and line.
    Thanks for the input guys. I see a lot of fluke/Danforth anchors in the marina. A lot of plow anchors too like a Delta quick set. I think I'd like to go with the fluke anchor but I don't think the bow roller set up will work for it. It follows the line of the bow then bends down to fit the shape of the existing claw. The straight fluke anchor doesn't look like it will fit on the bow roller very well. I'm thinking of using a plow anchor since I think it will fit that bow roller better. The fellow at the local marine supply store thought the plow anchors would work well in Lake Erie.

Anyone have any experience with plow anchors?
    Brad Steven
    2003 Sea Ray 280 Sundancer; (2) 5.0L 260HP - Bravo III
    Concord, Ohio

I don't know what you mean by a "claw" type anchor. However, I can tell you that the plow that came with my 260, with about 10-12' of chain works like a dream on the sandy bottom of Sebago. Always sets, resets easily if there's a wind shift, and breaks out easily as I motor forward over it. And, as you mentioned earlier, it fits the anchor chute perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Bill
    Bill

OO's Heaven (maybe....)
    2000 260DA
    7.4L EFI Bravo III

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1999 270 Da
    Engine(s)
    7.4 MPI w/B3
    Delta fast set for me with about 25 ft of chain. I have good luck in all types of bottoms - even sand.
    1999 270 Sundancer - 7.4 MPI Bravo 3

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    240 Sundancer 2004
    Engine(s)
    5.0 MPI w/ Bravo III
    brad;

in your post you mention that your plow anchor (claw) won't set, but you don't mention how much scope you normally put down. then biggiest mistake most people make is thinking that putting down 20 feet of line in 4 feet of water is going to keep them in one place.

first of all you need at least a 7X scope. in say 4 feet of water that not 7x4 = 28. you have to add in the high of the boat above the water which on a 280DA would be another 4 to 5 feet. so 7X9 = 63 feet of rode would be the proper scope.

on my 240DA I normall put out about 70 feet of rode of the front and rear anchor and have never had the boat move on my once.

secondly if the anchor does not seem to want to dig in then start by adding about 6 feet of chain to the rode right behind the anchor and in front of the line and and connect them with swivle schakles.

try this before you go through the who expense of swapping out anhors and the anchor chute.
    Tom

2004 240DA, 5.0l 260HP EFI, Bravo III
    5 O'clock Somewhere
    Oldsmar FL

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    310 Sundancer 2000
    Engine(s)
    350 Mercruiser w/V-Drives
    I have like 8 feet of chain behind my danforth. Two feet seems a little short.
    -Kurt

Dancing Queen - 2000 310 Sundancer. 350 MPI, V-Drives
    1984 Boston Whaler Montauk
    Former boats: 1987 270 Sundancer, 1984 225 SRV
    Lake Champlain, VT

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2007 44 DB
    Engine(s)
    Cummins QSC 500
    A plow, like the Delta, has been good to me in mud and sand. IMO, it's probably the best all around design out there. For your boat, I'd get a 22 pound model. That may seem like a lot of anchor, but you'll be thanking your lucky stars when a blow comes by. Also, DEFINITELY get some chain on it. Chain will help it set, stay set, and will not chafe. There are many articles, with pictures, on the internet on how to rig up anchor line/chain/anchor.
    Larry
    "River Gal", 2007 Sea Ray 44 Sedan Bridge, Twin QSC-500's