Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    290 Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    Twin 5.0

Fridge not working on battery power

My cockpit fridge decided to stop working on battery power. Works fine on shore and with generator. Any thoughts? Cabin works fine and I haven't noticed any other DC issues.
    Panacea - The Greek Goddess of Healing.
    LakeCumberland - Conley Bottom Marina
    2007 290 Sundancer
    Twin 5.0's, Bravo 3's
    5Kw Kohler Generator

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2008 310 Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    Twin 350 Mags DTS

Re: Fridge not working on battery power

I'm having same issue - already pulled out fridge and checked the fuse, and read somewhere it could be the power board (?) located on top of the fridge that might need to be replaced.

2008 310 Sundancer, 350 Mag DTS
    2007 200 Select, 5.0 MPI Alpha

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1990 390 EC
    Engine(s)
    3208 375HP CAT

If it’s a Norcold, that is its usual fate… the compressor should be a 120V AC unit and when on 12V DC it runs on an inverter that is prone to break. The solution could be to fix it or put an inverter to have 120V or get a new fridge with a 12V Danfoss compressor

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2002 Sundancer 300
    Engine(s)
    Twin 350 Mag, Westerbeke Genset

Norcold's DC power board is an oscillator that creates something like 28V AC (don't quote me) if it's anything like mine. It's easily replaceable and on top of the fridge under a metal cover. Norcold has some diagnostic procedures on the net if you do a search. I recently diagnosed and fixed mine (the AC wasn't working) and I found that there was a blown diode on the DC power board which includes the circuit which senses the AC and DC supplies and decides whether to use AC or DC power board (which creates lower AC via an oscillator).
    Best Regards,
    Terri

2002 Sea Ray 300, 350 Mags, B/III, Westerbeke, Furuno Radar, Lowrance plotter/network
    Prior: 2000 Sea Ray 260, 7.4 MPI, B/III, 1996 Bayliner 225, 5.7 Apha, 1986 Galaxy 195, 3.0 Alpha

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1995 250 Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    5.7L Mercruiser w/Bravo II

Great advice Terri, I didn't know that the Norcold diagnostics were available anywhere. The procedures for mine are exactly as you describe. I plan to try to my Morcold back from the dead soon. Here is a link to the place I found the manuals for mine http://bryantrv.com/docs.html

Quote Originally Posted by Theresamarie11 View Post
    Norcold's DC power board is an oscillator that creates something like 28V AC (don't quote me) if it's anything like mine. It's easily replaceable and on top of the fridge under a metal cover. Norcold has some diagnostic procedures on the net if you do a search. I recently diagnosed and fixed mine (the AC wasn't working) and I found that there was a blown diode on the DC power board which includes the circuit which senses the AC and DC supplies and decides whether to use AC or DC power board (which creates lower AC via an oscillator).

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    290 Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    Twin 5.0
    Finally pulled my fridge out and doesn't look like any fuses are blown so I guess the power panel went bad. Wheres a source for a new one?
    Panacea - The Greek Goddess of Healing.
    LakeCumberland - Conley Bottom Marina
    2007 290 Sundancer
    Twin 5.0's, Bravo 3's
    5Kw Kohler Generator