Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1994 370 Express Cruiser
    Engine(s)
    454 Mercruisers

Re: Halon Fire Suppression system

I think the EPA's own research answers the question:

While the technology is certainly developing, there are two things that are really holding
    water mist back from gaining wide market acceptance: 24
    • First, the systems have been found to have difficulty extinguishing small fires in
    large volumes even to the point that they fail to extinguish those small fires.
    • Second, the water mist industry has been unable to effectively bridge the gap
    between theory and practice, thus requiring that applications be limited (in size
    and characteristics) to those where fire test protocols have been developed
    against which system performance has been determined empirically. The
    economics of this approach are unattractive to systems’ manufacturers and end
    users.
    There is a lot of effort on an international scale going into solving these problems and
    many researchers are confident that the solutions are well within reach.

In EPA's testing they say it shows promise for Class B fires but not for Class A. Frankly, if you have a boat fire....you don't want to rely on theory.

-John
    RestorationMarine.com

ASE Master Mechanic

1994 -370 Express Cruiser
    Washington, D.C.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2003, 360DA.
    Engine(s)
    8.1's

water mist is already in use to protect gas turbine and other machinery spaces for quite a few years. Testing at FM and others have shown it to be effective on high heat release fires involving oils, grease, etc. I am only familiar with industrial applications, so I can't comment where they are with applications for power boat engine rooms. It will be interesting see where it goes. Btw, halon, fm200 and the other halon replacement gasses are more suited for low hazard occupancies, that don't have flammable liquids. If you really want to kill a fire where flam liquids are involved it's a water foam system (AFF for example) which some large ships use. Not very practical for our little engine rooms.
    [SIGPIC]

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1999 210SD SunDeck / 2002 Ford F250 CC Lariat 4X4, slightly tweaked 7.3L
    Engine(s)
    5.0 Mercruiser220hp/Alpha I

Just to follow up...

I finally got this issue resolved so I'm posting in case anyone else has a similar suppression system and needs a replacement.

I called the original manufacture, FireBoy, and really got not much help other than "Go to West Marine, they can help you". So I emailed Sea-Fire and explained my situation. Betty, the Customer Support Manager, was extremely helpful and patient with all of my questions and after many emails back and forth and measurements taken she told me they still had some FG100a extinguishers they were selling for $60 each plus shipping with a 3 year warranty. This is a functional equivalent to the OEM automatic extinguisher. It came with it's own mount base and sensor connection so it was a simple task to splice into the original circuit. The dash indicator works and there's a shiny new extinguisher in place for a whole lot less than anything else I could find.
    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1986 300DB Sedan
    Engine(s)
    Twin 260hp Mercruisers V-Drive. Twin Screws, the ONLY way to boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Trucky View Post
    Just to follow up...

I finally got this issue resolved so I'm posting in case anyone else has a similar suppression system and needs a replacement.

I called the original manufacture, FireBoy, and really got not much help other than "Go to West Marine, they can help you". So I emailed Sea-Fire and explained my situation. Betty, the Customer Support Manager, was extremely helpful and patient with all of my questions and after many emails back and forth and measurements taken she told me they still had some FG100a extinguishers they were selling for $60 each plus shipping with a 3 year warranty. This is a functional equivalent to the OEM automatic extinguisher. It came with it's own mount base and sensor connection so it was a simple task to splice into the original circuit. The dash indicator works and there's a shiny new extinguisher in place for a whole lot less than anything else I could find.
    Cool! Can you give us the specific details on contact info, so some of us may convert?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
    Trying to sell my 1986 Sea Ray 300DB

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    Engine(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AKBASSKING View Post
    Cool! Can you give us the specific details on contact info, so some of us may convert?
    This is where I started: customersupport@sea-fire.com

And this is where I ended up:

Betty Rieffer
    Customer Support Mgr.
    410-687-5500 x 101
    FAX: 410-687-5503
    brieffer@sea-fire.com

Top notch customer service, especially considering I didn't have their product to begin with.
    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2006 205 Sport, Shorelander Trailer. Towed by 2012 Ford F-150 Supercrew 5.0 with factory tow package
    Engine(s)
    Mercruiser 5.0 220 HP Carb w/ Alpha 1 Drive

Just to follow up...

Awesome. Would this be easy to adapt to a situation where you don't currently have an automatic system?

Thanks!
    New to me on 3-18-2011 with 43.3 hours
    2006 Sea Ray 205 Sport BR, 5.0 TKS 220 H.P.
    Alpha I Drive
    ShoreLand'r Tandem Trailer

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    Engine(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave 205 View Post
    Awesome. Would this be easy to adapt to a situation where you don't currently have an automatic system?

Thanks!
    It looks like it would be very easy. The box I got included the dash light, along with a round mount plate, plus the extinguisher. The wiring is very simple... From the extinguisher you have two wires. One goes to ground, one goes to the indicator light. The light has a second wire that goes to switched ignition. You have a green light with the ignition ON indicating a charged and ready system. I didn't use their light since I already had the original indicator in my dash.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2006 205 Sport, Shorelander Trailer. Towed by 2012 Ford F-150 Supercrew 5.0 with factory tow package
    Engine(s)
    Mercruiser 5.0 220 HP Carb w/ Alpha 1 Drive

It looks like it would be very easy. The box I got included the dash light, along with a round mount plate, plus the extinguisher. The wiring is very simple... From the extinguisher you have two wires. One goes to ground, one goes to the indicator light. The light has a second wire that goes to switched ignition. You have a green light with the ignition ON indicating a charged and ready system. I didn't use their light since I already had the original indicator in my dash.

Thanks for the reply. I'm still amazed at the info. you can pick up on this site.
    New to me on 3-18-2011 with 43.3 hours
    2006 Sea Ray 205 Sport BR, 5.0 TKS 220 H.P.
    Alpha I Drive
    ShoreLand'r Tandem Trailer