Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Boat
    sea ray
    Details
    amberjack 290, 2007
    Engine(s)
    twin 350HP Mercruiser MPI Horizon's, v-drive

Re: official 290 Amberjack thread

thanks guys for all the feedback. I pulled her out of the water, am sandblasting and repainting the bottom. props look good, proper size per manual. i've always changed the oil every season, but haven't done a tune up ever (i know, crazy but i'm learning). :/
    will get full tune up and see...if she still seems sluggish, will move onto diagnostics at merc certified mech (searay dealership) and move forward from there.
    as i'm new to seattle, i'm getting a heat exchanger placed under the captain seat and plan to have 2 outputs on the bottom/side of captain's chair to be able to detach and attach large hoses so that i can feed the hose to the back to be placed under the blankets to warm up my daughter and her friends (elementary school...cute as a button) if anyone is interested, once its completed i can take some pics and post. anyone else have a good method of warming up the cabin?

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2008 - 290 Amberjack
    Engine(s)
    5.0s w/ Bravo III

Just closed on an '08 - 290AJ w/ 5.0s and B3s. It has a Raymarine C120 display but no radar. I'm not very familiar w/ radar systems - any suggestions as to a compatible radar "brand"/model?

Thanks

Boat
    Blackfin
    Details
    2003 Blackfin/Saltshaker 29 Combi
    Engine(s)
    330 Cummins

I may be wrong but I don't think you can mix and match the radar with the display. With the GPS, you can use a garmin and an adapter plug.

Congrats on the boat. I like the 5.0 and B3 setup. Fast enough and fuel efficient.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2008 - 290 Amberjack
    Engine(s)
    5.0s w/ Bravo III

The "C-Series Display Reference Manual" talks about using radar with the C120 display so I assume it can be mixed and matched. I'm thinking, however, that this series is a bit older (but hopefully adequate) and am wondering if a newer radar system would work with it.

Thanks for the congrats

Boat
    Pursuit
    Details
    98 Pursuit 2270 Kodiak Sold 290 Amberjack
    Engine(s)
    Yamaha 200 HP Saltwater Series

Regarding cruise speed on plane, not that far off maybe 3400 rpm to keep in plane. Remember this is a very heavy 29 foot boat. You can add 6" to the trim tab with which might help. I may add just the drop fins to the trim tabs to help keep I'm plane at a lower speed.

Boat
    sea ray
    Details
    amberjack 290, 2007
    Engine(s)

northshore60, thanks for the reply. i just finished sanding and bottom painting. I have the correct props with no obvious deformities. next, i'll get a tune up, and then i'll let her rip and come back with some numbers.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2008 - 290 Amberjack
    Engine(s)
    5.0s w/ Bravo III

Amberjack Production History

Having recently become an AJ owner I asked Searay how many they made the last three years. Response:

* 2008: 72 - 27 with V-drives.
    * 2009: 20 - all with I/Os and 300hp engines.
    * 2010: None - economic recession.

Kind of interesting.

Boat
    sea ray
    Details
    amberjack 290, 2007
    Engine(s)

bottom sanded and painted and got a tune up. and since she was in the shop I decided to get a compression check on my twin MAG350s which showed no problems. so, here's are my stats on a full tank, v-drives. 17 knots at 3200 rpm, but required trim tabs to keep her on plane. that sounds about right. I didn't do WOT, but i'll do that next time. would be curious what others are experiencing.

Boat
    Blackfin
    Details
    2003 Blackfin/Saltshaker 29 Combi
    Engine(s)
    330 Cummins

OK fellow 290 AJ owners, here is something for you to check on.

If you have a generator, your hot water heater is located on the stbd side with the genset in the middle. If your hot water heater is more than a few years old and you run in salt water, better check the heat exchanger for corrosion. If that develops a leak, it will pump salt water into your engine compartment and in my case right onto the generator. Which now will not start and I am waiting for the tech to come look at it.

The Attwood hot water heaters are cheap enough to replace. The generator repair is likely more than that. Ugh.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    05- 290 AJ V-drives - Genset
    Engine(s)
    350 mags

Splashed my AJ last weekend. 3200 RPM - Tabs -Tanks full of Petrol - 19 knts. My boat WOT is 5000 RPM 31 knts.
    Hope that helps.