Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1996-Sea Ray 215 Express Cruiser/1996-Sea Ray 330 Sundancer/1998-Sea Ray 400 Sundancer/1996-Sea Rayd
    Engine(s)
    5.7 Mercruiser/454's/454's w/V drive/120HP

Delamination of a Swim Platform

So, the survey of the boat I am looking at came back above average with no delimitation or moisture in the hull. However, the extended swim platform was noted as having delamination or at least that's how I read it. It's a 97 330. So what does this mean for the platform, life is over?

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1989 Sea Ray 340 DA
    Engine(s)
    twin 454 Mercs

Re: Delamination of a Swim Platform

It means the resin and glass has seperated from the wood or coring inside. Is the wood wet and rotted? If the wood is good and dry you should be able to use good resin and reseal it. I don't know if you can split the old platform and dig out the old coring and replace? I have seen others do this type of repair. Good luck and pictures would help.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1996-Sea Ray 215 Express Cruiser/1996-Sea Ray 330 Sundancer/1998-Sea Ray 400 Sundancer/1996-Sea Rayd
    Engine(s)
    5.7 Mercruiser/454's/454's w/V drive/120HP

I don't ave any pics currently. When I looked at the boat it seemed fine. The boat was in the water at the time. Didn't notice anything standing on it.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1989 390 EC
    Engine(s)
    454 Merc BWI

This is precisely what prompted me to build a newer, bigger platform. If I wanted to keep the original, I'd take the platform off, saw open the underside of it, rip out and replace the old coring (plywood or balsa) with new, and glass back over it. It really isn't a horrible job.

Boat
    SeaRay
    Details
    2003 220BR
    Engine(s)
    5.0 MPI

can't answer about delamination but didn't someone on this site remove all the rotting wood from their swim platform and replaced with new sealed/fiberglassed pieces?
    Warming the globe 8 cylinders at time!
    2003 SeaRay 220 BR
    5.0 liter 260 hp MPI Mercruiser Bravo III
    2004 GMC 2500 Crew Cab
    Heaven on Earth

Boat
    SeaRay
    Details
    2003 220BR
    Engine(s)
    5.0 MPI

Warming the globe 8 cylinders at time!
    2003 SeaRay 220 BR
    5.0 liter 260 hp MPI Mercruiser Bravo III
    2004 GMC 2500 Crew Cab
    Heaven on Earth

Boat
    Sea Ray & a Boston Whaler Dauntless (75hp Merc)
    Details
    1996 450DA
    Engine(s)
    3116 Caterpillars

For some reason, usually because of an accident, the bottom of the platform has a hole or fracture that has allowed moisture to get inside the structure. The large flat areas of the platform are cored with plywood and if you have delamination it is almost a certainty that the wood is rotten and wet. You can replace the platform ....it looks like they have a mold for the 330DA, http://swimplatforms.contentpros.net...6/Default.aspx

or you can have yours repaired by removing it turning it over and grinding out the plywood and replacing the core. I would use a closed cell structural foam like Divinycell or Klegecell which is available in sheets instead of plywood so it can never rot again. THen just rebuild the bottom of the platform with glass/resin and paint it.
    Frank

Connecticut River at Portland Riverside Marina
    Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1988 Sea Ray 340 Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    7.4l inboards

I had the same thing happen when I bought my 1988 340 Sundancer. I went with Swim Platforms replacement swim platform. It is worth every penny. The platform is of high standards. I cannot remember the owners names, one of them used to work at Sea Ray. Look at my boat project website and under past projects, pictures 3-6 show the old and the new platform. I did it my self.

James
    Current 1988 Sea Ray 340 DA "Are You Ready" Previous 1981 Sea Ray 260 Sundancer
    Sunbird 198 Cuddy -Riverside Marina Portland CT
    Boat Projects Web Page: http://1988sundancer.weebly.com/index.html
    Admiral's web page: http://www.embroideryexpressionsct.com/

Boat
    Kha Shing
    Details
    50' Cockpit Motor Yacht
    Engine(s)
    375hp Cat 3208s

The owner of Swim Platforms, Inc. is Scott Sameulson. He used to work for Sea Ray at one time. I have met Scott and toured their facility in Phoenix (My old '89 340da was originally Scott's) and was very impressed. They do beautiful work and really understand customer service. Trying to fix the old one may be more trouble than its worth. I would go with a new one.

NorCal Boater
    Previous Boats
    1989 340 DA 7.4 v-drives 1987 S-24 Sorrento 1985 Cobalt CM23

Connecticut River at Portland Riverside Marina
    Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1988 Sea Ray 340 Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    7.4l inboards

And NorCal actually saw my platform being made when he went to the factory.

hs2002hd, if you have not completed the sale yet, see if the owner will split the cost of a new platform. Mine 2 years ago cost $2700 shipped to Connecticut. Check out my web page in the signature and look at the Previous Projects page. There are some pictures before, during, and after.

James
    Current 1988 Sea Ray 340 DA "Are You Ready" Previous 1981 Sea Ray 260 Sundancer
    Sunbird 198 Cuddy -Riverside Marina Portland CT
    Boat Projects Web Page: http://1988sundancer.weebly.com/index.html
    Admiral's web page: http://www.embroideryexpressionsct.com/