Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Boat
    SeaRay
    Details
    310 Sundancer 2000
    Engine(s)
    5.7 Mag MPI V-drives

Re: Serpentine belt squeal mercruiser 5.7l 350 solved after months

Hi Bob and Sue. Well I checked into the shim business and actually did mine with a couple washers and a pry bar to adjust the alternator bracket. I changed the waterpump bracket for new and other than the old one being slightly bent ,the new one appeared the same. Very happy to report that I finally got rid of the stupid chirping and the motors are purring the way they should.I could not have done it with-out your inputs,as they steered me in the right direction and because of it I was able to fix the problem.Thanks alot. Richard
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob & Sue View Post
    For my engine they said it was a re-designed alternator & sea water pump bracket when I compared the old with the new ones there were some added bracing with a small change in shape. The alternator bracket mine is a Mando part# 860370T , sea water bracket # 807749-1. I used a serpentine belt alignment laser to make sure the grooves were aligned on all pulleys from the crankshaft pulley merc also changed the spacer on the alternator bracket which was included with the bracket. I found a pdf of the recall notice it covers more engines than listed merc didn't want to pay to fix all of them, it has diagrams for replacement and what to check. PM me with email address and I'll forward it to you. I also switched to Goodyear Gator Belts mine are 106" in length since changing everything I haven't had any problems with squeals but do have 2 spares knock on fiberglass.

Delray, Florida and Potomac River, Virginia
    Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    560 Sedan Bridge
    Engine(s)
    CAT 3406 X2

I have this same problem on my 5.7 - trying to fix it. Other bigger issue I have is the water pump bracket will shift after running for a while and touch the crankshaft drum causing a spark/metal on metal noise. Has anyone had this problem with the water pump bracket? Any suggestions?
    Andrew Golkin
    "The Implication" - Delray Beach, FL
    2002 560 DB - 3406E CAT DIESELS

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1999 Sundancer 270DA SE Foss Landing & Marina Tacoma,WA
    Engine(s)
    5.7L w/ Bravo II

Quote Originally Posted by agolk2 View Post
    I have this same problem on my 5.7 - trying to fix it. Other bigger issue I have is the water pump bracket will shift after running for a while and touch the crankshaft drum causing a spark/metal on metal noise. Has anyone had this problem with the water pump bracket? Any suggestions?
    You have me stumped on that one the bracket is bolted to the engine & the pump is bolted on the bracket, are the bolts coming loose? If the are you should be using Loctite threadlocker 242 it is designed to be able to disassemble.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/threadlockers.shtml
    Bob & Sue
    Puget Sound Wa

Lake Guntersville, Tennessee River, Alabama
    Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1998 250 DA
    Engine(s)
    7.4L, B3

It's impossible for that to happen with my configuration. How many bolts are you using to secure the bracket?
    Aweigh 4 Awhile
    1998 250 DA
    7.4L B3

Delray, Florida and Potomac River, Virginia
    Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    560 Sedan Bridge
    Engine(s)
    CAT 3406 X2

Serpentine belt squeal mercruiser 5.7l 350 solved after months

So found the issue. Mechanics only put one bolt in and it was pivoting on it. Pissed off - been like that for 2 years. Tried to put in bolt and stripped head off on Memorial Day lol. The original repair shop is fixing. Thanks for the help.
    Andrew Golkin
    "The Implication" - Delray Beach, FL
    2002 560 DB - 3406E CAT DIESELS

Lake Guntersville, Tennessee River, Alabama
    Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1998 250 DA
    Engine(s)
    7.4L, B3

Glad you found the problem. I was wondering how it could have moved around or pivoted unless it was just bolted on with a single bolt.
    Aweigh 4 Awhile
    1998 250 DA
    7.4L B3