Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2000 38 Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    7.4 Horizon FWC

Raw water pump serpentine belt pulley removal & installation

I'm in the process of replacing the raw sea water pump with a new Mercruiser sea water pump #46-862914T08. The new pump doesn't come with the serpentine belt pulley. I need to remove the old pulley from the old pump shaft and install it on the new pump. Is the correct procedure to use a pulley puller on the old one and then put the new one on with a bolt since the pump shaft has threads in it to use a bolt to seat it? It appears that there is no key way between the pulley and shaft so how do you keep the pulley from spinning if you are using a bolt to seat it on the shaft? If you just need to press the old pulley on the new pump shaft, does the end of the shaft inside the pump rest against the back of the pump housing so that you can press it or do you need to take the new pump apart to support the back of the shaft to press the pulley on?
    Thanks,
    Al
    2000 38' Sundancer 7.4L Horizons (current)
    2004 39' Sundancer 8.1L Horizons

2006 32' Sundancer 6.2L v-drives
    1991 35' Sundancer 7.4L v-drives
    1989 30' Weekender 5.7L inboard
    1988 27' Sundancer 5.7L I/O's

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2004 400DB, Onan 9 kw Gen, Walker Bay RIB,
    Engine(s)
    Cummins 6CTA

Re: Raw water pump serpentine belt pulley removal & installation

Borrow or rent (at an auto parts store), or buy (I keep one on my boat), a pulley puller and installation tool. You need to be sure that the type you get fits the puller groove in the pulley, as there are different styles. The installation part of the equation uses a threaded mandrel with a thrust bearing and nut type of set up that pushes the pulley onto the shaft. Don't hammer or press (in a vise or press) the pulley onto the shaft with the shaft in the pump, you will damage the bearings and possibly crack the pump housing. You are correct in that there is no key, it is a press fit, and checking the depth of the pulley on the shaft prior to removing it helps with reinstalling it to the same spot. The tools usually come with instructions, pretty straight forward.
    good luck
    Last edited by my3sons; 03-26-2012 at 06:20 AM.
    Mark & Karen Captain's Choice

Prev. Sea Rays '03 360DA, '95 330DA, '92 290DA, '90 220

Lake Guntersville, Tennessee River, Alabama
    Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1998 250 DA
    Engine(s)
    7.4L, B3

Advance Auto's "Loan A Tool Program" worked out perfectly for me. The kit had several components to fit different style pulleys. I've only done it once, but Mark's explaination seemed spot on to me.

I'll emphisize measuring the depth of the shaft to aid in reinstallation. As a side note, get ready to flex your muscels while pressing the pulley back on.
    Aweigh 4 Awhile
    1998 250 DA
    7.4L B3

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2002 Sundancer 240
    Engine(s)
    357 Mercruiser MAG 4V 325HP, Bravo III

If the local auto parts store counter person is nice, they will do it for you for free.

Another suggestion is to go to your marina's service dept and kindly ask a mechanic to do it as a favor.

"Fender Bender"
    2002 Sundancer 240 5.7 MAG 4V 325HP - Bravo III
    MMSI#338098052

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1999 Sundancer 270DA SE Foss Landing & Marina Tacoma,WA
    Engine(s)
    5.7L w/ Bravo II

Quote Originally Posted by my3sons View Post
    Borrow or rent (at an auto parts store), or buy (I keep one on my boat), a pulley puller and installation tool. You need to be sure that the type you get fits the puller groove in the pulley, as there are different styles. The installation part of the equation uses a threaded mandrel with a thrust bearing and nut type of set up that pushes the pulley onto the shaft. Don't hammer or press (in a vise or press) the pulley onto the shaft with the shaft in the pump, you will damage the bearings and possibly crack the pump housing. You are correct in that there is no key, it is a press fit, and checking the depth of the pulley on the shaft prior to removing it helps with reinstalling it to the same spot. The tools usually come with instructions, pretty straight forward.
    good luck
    Definitely make sure as stated above you measure the depth of the pulley if it's not aligned within 1/8" to the crank pulley you will at the least develop a belt squeal or worst throw and shred belts. I fought a squeal for six months because of alignment problems with sea water pump and alternator being out of alignment.
    Bob & Sue
    Puget Sound Wa

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2000 38 Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    7.4 Horizon FWC

Thanks to every body that replied. I've done the pulleys on the PS pumps on my vehicles before and assumed this would be the same process. I've learned from past experience if I haven't done a specific repair on a boat before, I always ask for the correct process from somebody that has done the same job on the boat. Some times there is slight difference in the project.

LOL on the correct alignment in referring to the pulley installation. The old pulley and shaft fell out of the old pump when I was taking it apart. I'll have to assume the length of the old shaft is the same as the length of the new shaft and put the pulley in the same location on the new shaft as the old shaft.

Thanks again to all that replied,
    Al
    2000 38' Sundancer 7.4L Horizons (current)
    2004 39' Sundancer 8.1L Horizons

2006 32' Sundancer 6.2L v-drives
    1991 35' Sundancer 7.4L v-drives
    1989 30' Weekender 5.7L inboard
    1988 27' Sundancer 5.7L I/O's

Lake Guntersville, Tennessee River, Alabama
    Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1998 250 DA
    Engine(s)
    7.4L, B3

I was told that laying a yard stick or similar device across the crank pulley & the newly installed pulley would be a quick, down & dirty way to check the alignment. Of course I've seen some pretty messed up looking yard sticks, and the tolerance may be too small to trust anything like that. Eyeballing it may be just as good if you are seasoned. For the less experienced like myself... If it is that far off the yardstick may just save you a little time. It may even prevent ripping a belt apart.
    Aweigh 4 Awhile
    1998 250 DA
    7.4L B3