Boat
    SeaRay
    Details
    2001 380 Sundancer/ "License to Chill"/ Frog Mortar Creek, MD
    Engine(s)
    Mercruiser 7.4L Horizon

Stbd fuel tank vent

I believe I have a clogged fuel tank vent on the stbd on my 2001 380. Went to fill up today and put 15 gallons in and got a gush of air and gas out of the fuel fill. Luckily I always have a rag in my hand, just in case so I was able to catch the fuel before it went anywhere. How difficult is it to change the through hull fitting? Does it unscrew, twist off, etc? My guess is that the screen is oxidized and blocked. Also, is the best way to the tank top connection through the gunnel access panel in the aft salon?

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1999 260DA ShoreLand'r Galvanized
    Engine(s)
    5.7L EFI Bravo III

Re: Stbd fuel tank vent

Can't help you with access on your boat, but...

Visually check the screen before you go and buy a new one. It could be plugged with old wax or spider webs.

Another thing that you should verify is the pathway of the vent line from the tank to the fitting. Be sure it continually goes uphill and does not have any dips in it
    Dennis
    1999 260DA 5.7L EFI B3
    2000 ShoreLand'r
    Past & Other Current Boats: Not enough room!
    1998 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5 Diesel - Tweaked "Just a bit"
    "Exceeding your expectations since 1936"

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2000 280 Sun Sport / Raymarine C80 w/ Radar / Sirius weather / SH GX5000S VHF
    Engine(s)
    Twin 350 Mags / B1's / Corsa exhaust

I am having the same issue and am sure it's wax build up. How do you clean the vent screen? Does it come out?
    Charlie

2000 280 SS - SOLD
    Previous: 2003 240 Sundeck
    2000 Glastron 175 SX

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    410 Sundancer - 2001
    Engine(s)
    Twin 8.1L Mercruisers - 2009

Not sure about the 380, but, on the 410, in the aft cabin starboard cabinet, there is an access panel with 4 screws in it that lets you get to the vent hose.

You may want to look to see if yours is similar.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1998 215EC ('Just Add Water') SN: 0L235472
    Engine(s)
    5.7L Merc (carb) - Engine SN: 0L038437 - Alpha 1 (Gen ll) - Drive SN: 0L106073

Quote Originally Posted by Throttlejockey View Post
    I believe I have a clogged fuel tank vent on the stbd on my 2001 380. Went to fill up today and put 15 gallons in and got a gush of air and gas out of the fuel fill. Luckily I always have a rag in my hand, just in case so I was able to catch the fuel before it went anywhere. How difficult is it to change the through hull fitting? Does it unscrew, twist off, etc? My guess is that the screen is oxidized and blocked. Also, is the best way to the tank top connection through the gunnel access panel in the aft salon?

both boats i have owned do this as well...i just thought it was 'normal'.....i try to 'listen' to the escaping air from the vent tube as i fill the tank....i can usually tell when the tank is almost full by the change in sound from the vent tube....then i slow the filler hose down the last little bit to avoid a splash out of fuel....but sometimes i still get the 'splash' of gas out of the filler neck....

is this normal or do i have a problem that needs to be fixed?....

cliff

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    Boatless
    Engine(s)
    Boatless

Mine did this at the last fill up. It did it at the start of the fill up... burped... then was fine. First time it has done this with fuel. Almost always does this when filling water tank. but only at the start.
    2000 270 Sundancer- "Wine Down II" (SOLD)
    1994 250 Express Cruiser- "Wine Down" sold
    1987 BW Outrage- "Outrageous Luck" sold
    1987 Cobia Monte Carlo 187-"Penguin Lust" traded

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2001 460 DA
    Engine(s)
    Cummins 6CTA's

Funny mine did the same thing yesterday on both sides. I have filled up twice already and this was a first. Interesting, I will check my screens.
    Russ Calasant

"Debtfinder"
    2001 460 DA
    Cummins 6CTA

Boat
    SeaRay
    Details
    2001 380 Sundancer/ "License to Chill"/ Frog Mortar Creek, MD
    Engine(s)
    Mercruiser 7.4L Horizon

I did indeed have a blocked vent. Spiders and wax were the culprit. I accessed the vent line at the top of the tank and blew it out. Admiral was mortified at the amount of junk we got out. Filled the tank with no issues and seems to be fine. I blew out both sides just in case but I am thinking that the angle of the fill into the starboard tank makes it more susceptible to burping than does the port. I will, at some point this season need to replace the screens. My guess would be that the easiest, if there is such a thing, would be to replace the entire through hull. Any other suggestions are graciously welcomed!

Thanks for the responses and suggestions!!

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2004 220 Select
    Engine(s)
    350 MAG MPI w/ Bravo III

Get a spray can of carb / choke cleaner with the red straw and spray the screen it will dissolve the wax