I have acquired a 180BR with the Mercruiser 3.0 motor. The issue it has is the boat has been unused for 10 years and was not fogged. I know that normally spells disaster for the engine but on a dare I hooked up a battery and the thing effortlessly cranked. This tells me at least its not seized. It did not start of course. With this knowledge do I endeavor further to start this thing or do I unbolt all the rusty pulleys and accessories and yank the head for a valve job or would you just ignore the unseized nature of the motor and purchase a new motor?
Change the oil, oil filter, fuel filter and the fuel. Run it! I personally would only replace what needs replacing after I figure out what is wrong with it. So far, you haven't found anything wrong with it. Since it's cranking, fuel may be all you need. Next up would probably be a carb cleaning and rebuild, but that's likely about it.
And why would you have to rebuild the outdrive? Again, just change the lube and see how she acts.
Hmmm Sounds like a plan. I will try it. I mean whats the worst that can happen? I blow a motor I thought needed replacing anyways? LOL. Oh and the outdrive thing, I was under the understanding that even unused, the seals, impeller and bellows would be cracked and rotted after so many years. Thats why I mentioned it.
I just did this EXACT same thing a few weeks ago on my brother-in-laws 69 Reinell with the 3.0 Mercruiesr. The water pump went out on it nine years ago and he just parked it.
I couldn't get it to turn over so I pulled the plugs and put Kroil in the cylinders, turned out it was just a bad battery.
So I replaced the battery, let the engine blow the Kroil out and replaced the spark plugs.
I of course replaced the water pump, outdrive oil, engine oil, and gas.
After running at the house quite a bit I took it for a test drive.
Didn't make it out of the dock, well I did but just far enough for the river to start taking me away. I had to paddle with the one oar like crazy to get to shore, wasn't fun.
Anyways, it ran terrible so I took it home and did a compression check and one cylinder had zero compression. I pulled the head and it had a stuck valve. I talked to a machine shop and he suggested to not do a valve job since it has good compression. He also said old gas will sometimes make valves stick. I got an upper gasket kit and pulled the valves out and cleaned them up with a wire wheel, put new valve guide seals in and put her back together. I forgot, I also rebuilt the carburator because it was not starting very well.
When I got all done and after some testing at home we took it out and tested it out. I have to say that I couldn't believe how nice it starts and smooth it runs. One turn of the starter and she's running.
I did all of this for approximately $200.00 not including the battery.