Page 2 of 189 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    400 Sedan Bridge,1997 360 4Winns, 1993 268 Sea Ray, 1987
    Engine(s)
    454 MPI Mercruisers

Re: 40 sedan bridge forum

Mine is the same as yours. gen and a/c are Perkos. mains are groco.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    400 Sedan Bridge '96
    Engine(s)
    Cat 3116
    Impeller Explosion:

Starboard engine started running hot a couple of weeks ago. Pulled the impeller and it was what I would characterize as a rubber apple core, two half blades remained. New one in, and the water flow improved.

After running it for about an hour, the bilge area under the standard engine had about 4 inches of water. Sponged it out and called it a weekend.

My trusted wise boating mentor said I needed to pull the hose at the elbow after the impeller and before the heat exchanger and fish out the impeller pieces. I am happy to say that the port engine has a new impeller (almost the same runber apple core lok as the stbd engine), and I fished out two red solo cups worth of impeller parts between the two engines (new verse for a song maybe?). Anyhow, no wonder the one engine was running hot.

I was thinking that that the new impeller created so much pressure, and with a solo cup worth of exploded impeller parts inevitably creating a blockage, water had to find a way past a clamp or something resulting in the one side of the bilge to fill like it did.

I am going to head out in the AM and see if the water returns in the bilge. A quick start of the engines and I did not see any immediate leaks. I am interested to see hoe the temps on the engines respond.

On another note, my boating mentor gave me two impeller change tips that made the second impeller change go much smoother.

1) put the replacement seal ring in the freezer for about 15 minutes so that it shrinks and better fits into the groove.
    2) lather the impeller up with dawn, all over. Slipped right in and rotated easily it be able to insert the metal chuck/key. Plus, it is easy to see the impeller is working because of the soap being pumped out.

I am not certain, but I may have fished out pieces for more than one impeller from each engine. I am glad to have this maintenance task behind me....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Boat
    Sea ray
    Details
    2003 Sedan bridge 40
    Engine(s)
    450 Cummins

I am happy to announce that I am now officially the owner of a 2003 Seadan Bridge can't wait to pick the boat up on Saturday

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    400 Sedan Bridge '96
    Engine(s)
    Cat 3116
    Quote Originally Posted by Caseclosed View Post
    I am happy to announce that I am now officially the owner of a 2003 Seadan Bridge can't wait to pick the boat up on Saturday
    Congrats. you'll enjoy it.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    400 Sedan Bridge '96
    Engine(s)
    Cat 3116
    Quote Originally Posted by Caseclosed View Post
    The big day! Let us know how it turns out.

Boat
    SeaRay
    Details
    1999 Searay 400 Sedan Bridge Cummins 450 Diesels
    Engine(s)
    Cummins Diamond Series 450 Horse twin diesel

It would be great to have a 400 sedan bridge forum

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    400 Sedan Bridge '96
    Engine(s)
    Cat 3116
    Quote Originally Posted by Savannah View Post
    It would be great to have a 400 sedan bridge forum
    This is it....post away!

Boat
    Searay
    Details
    40DB
    Engine(s)
    caterpillars 3116

any idea what model vaccuflush is in a 1999 400db? I need to get new seals...do they have an overflow hole or not? Thanks!

Boat
    Sea ray
    Details
    2003 Sedan bridge 40
    Engine(s)
    450 Cummins

I picked the boat up in Mystic on Sat.The boat ran great five Hr.trip to Sayville NY.I am very impressed with this boat.Very quiet at the helm and at 2250 I averaged 24 Kts.My wife and I love this boat.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2005 420DB with AB 11 DLX Tender, Raymarine Dual E120 MFD/Radar/XMWeather, ST7001 A/P, AIS, SeaLift
    Engine(s)
    T-Cummins 450Cs Straight-Drives, 9KW Onan Generator, 40HP Yamaha for tender.

Congrats on the delivery of the new to you yacht. You'll love the boat. Which inlet did you use on South Shore?
    Last edited by Alex F; 08-23-2012 at 09:41 AM.

2005 420DB "Inspiration" - 420/44 DB Owners Club
    Previously Owned: 2004 320DA "Boat A Bing" || 2001 240DA "Very Delicately" || 1997 175BR "Another Toy"

Live a good life and in the end, it's not the years in a life, it's the life in the years. - Abraham Lincoln