Thread: Delamination

Boat
    Sundancer
    Details
    1983 Sundancer, Standard horizon gps chartplotter & ais radio
    Engine(s)
    twin 454 crusader , with v drives

Delamination

hi guys I just got a new survey on my not so new sea ray and it states that I have a few delamination issues on the deck area . my question - how serious is this , and can/how to repair this thanks in advance.

Boat
    Sundancer
    Details
    Engine(s)

De-lamination

just got a new survey on my not so new 310 sea Ray, It stated (amoung other things that i have a few de-lamination areas on my deck. My question is , Is this repairable and how to do it tyhanks in advance

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1995 550 Sedan Bridge
    Engine(s)
    CAT 3406's, 580hp.

Re: Delamination

That's a question you should ask your surveyor. He will know the location and extent of the delams and will be able to give you the guidance you're looking for.
    http://clubsearay.com/signaturepics/sigpic14168_1.gif
    1995 550 Sedan Bridge "Beachcomber"
    'There is nothing-absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats"
    Proud dues paying Charter Member of the Hole In The Water Club!

Boat
    SeaRay 380 Aft cabin
    Details
    380 Aft Cabin 1989 GPS and Charts by Nobeltec
    Engine(s)
    Twin 454 strait shaft

Re: De-lamination

Based on what I have seen around fittings you need to fix it ASAP. In spot areas not connected to penetrations it is not a problem. On one boat I had the front deck and part of the upper helm were delaminated. The front deck was bad. It leaked at most fittings and at the windshield area size was 10.5 feet wide by 8 feet to point of V at bow. They removed the entire under side of the deck and re-balsa it. The upper helm had one area at a fitting that was soft about 2 feet by 2 feet. They fixed that from the top. They also replaced the head liner in the V birt and new hatch. Cost $11,000 plus tax in 2005.

Boat
    Sea Ray (Everything else is Just a Boat)
    Details
    Looking For Next One
    Engine(s)
    Looking For Next One

Threads merged.

Previous Boat:
    2006 240 SunDeck, MS Judy, 350 MAG BR3
    North GA Mountains http://www.ssg-i.com

Boat
    SeaRay
    Details
    2003 220BR
    Engine(s)
    5.0 MPI

Quote Originally Posted by chuck1 View Post
    Threads merged.

Never understand why people think multiple posts will get them the answer quicker or better than a single posts in the right location.
    Warming the globe 8 cylinders at time!
    2003 SeaRay 220 BR
    5.0 liter 260 hp MPI Mercruiser Bravo III
    2004 GMC 2500 Crew Cab
    Heaven on Earth

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    Sea Ray 175
    Engine(s)
    Mercruiser 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by wish2fish View Post

Never understand why people think multiple posts will get them the answer quicker or better than a single posts in the right location.
    Current Boat: Sea Ray 175
    Currently In The Market For: 270 SLX
    Previous Boat (when I was a teenager): 1987 Sea Ray Seville 19'

Boat
    Sundancer
    Details
    Engine(s)

sorry tried to edit my first post , but I guess it cane up as muti - posts after all, By way my name is Danny ," not people" I did not try to get a quicker answer by posting twice but judging but YOUR REPLY this isn't the only thing you don't understand I was just looking for a little help Thanks to the rest of you

Boat
    Sea Ray & a Boston Whaler Dauntless (75hp Merc)
    Details
    1996 450DA
    Engine(s)
    3116 Caterpillars

Most of the deck is cored with end grain balsa (wood) on a 310, so any delamination is serious in that your surveyor has most likely "sounded" the deck and found a hollow spot. A simple delamination is easy to repair by injecting the void full of epoxy, but one caused by moisture getting into the deck structure usually causes the core to rot. You didn't include photos or a description of where the delamination is, but anywhere near a cut or screw holes in the deck for a windlass, a hatch, stanchions, windshield, horn, rail mounting, etc are usual sources. So the answer to your question is yes, a delamination or rotted core is repairable. A simple delamination is not expensive unless if it can be fixed without tearing out the interior, a rotted core is different and is beyond the ability of the usual "handy" do-it-yourself boater because the deck has to be either cut away back to the areas that are non-skid.....even the very best fiberglass guy has a hard time patching non-skid......then removed to the core can be ground out and replaced, or the interior has to be removed and t he under side of the deck removed and the core ground out then replaced and the area reglassed and the interior replaced.

Hopefully, you have a small spot needing repair........the bigger the area, the uglier the repair job ahead.
    Frank

Boat
    SeaRay 380 Aft cabin
    Details
    380 Aft Cabin 1989 GPS and Charts by Nobeltec
    Engine(s)
    Twin 454 strait shaft

If it is rotten core you can get it repaired by working from inside the boat. The process is long and expensive. They first cut the glass in the V birth,then gouge out the balsa, then re-balsa. It is called vacumn bagging, then reglass the interior, then new head liner. Based on what I paid, $100 a square foot is what I paid. He did repair one area from the top. They cut the area out, saved the piece they took out, re-balsaed the area, then put the cut out area back. The cut out area, they put a 2" smooth area around it to tie it in. They matched the gellcoat will as it looked the same colour.
    After doing this once I would not buy anyboat with this problem unless the seller was to fix it first.