Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1994 SR Laguna 24CC w/ twin Merc 200hp outboards; 19' Pursuit CC w/ 150hp Yamaha
    Engine(s)
    Twin 200hp Mercury 2-stroke outboards

Dinghy Poker Run?

As we are preparing to make our move to S Florida I was looking around online and couldn't find anything. In the Great Lakes area dinghy poker runs are pretty big and a great time. One of our favorite events of the summer. Is this something that ever happens down there or not so much??

Shaun
    Sent from my iPhone
    Shaun - Charter member, Hole in the Water Club!

"Lucky 3"

Past boat: 1986 Sea Ray 300WE

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    44EB
    Engine(s)
    CAT 3116

Re: Dinghy Poker Run?

Shaun - what is the Dinghy Poker run?

Boat
    Fountain
    Details
    2005 Fountain 27, 496HO power, towed by Chevrolet Duramax HD 4x4
    Engine(s)
    496HO, 425 HP

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
    Probably the same thing the Hotrod boats do up in JAX, except w/dingys instead :) We do poker runs on the Harley too.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    44EB
    Engine(s)
    CAT 3116

There is a Harley Poker Run in south Florida once a year, a very big event. They shut down portions of I-95 to the bikes can all go to a location to get together. It always has a charity involved.

So basically, a get together of boats (cars, bikes, etc), partying and having fun? If so, there are a few of these scheduled events scattered around south florida......

Boca Bash - a boat party at Lake Boca lasting 1-2 days. can get crowded and crazy
    Columbus Day "Regatta" - same thing except much bigger and located down in lower Miami/upper Keys (Elliot Key). This one is big and was out of control a few years ago. Authorities had to step in. look for youtube videos on this party.

I'm sure there are others. I have been to the BB over the years, you have to be careful of the drunks and quantity of boats in a confined space.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1994 SR Laguna 24CC w/ twin Merc 200hp outboards; 19' Pursuit CC w/ 150hp Yamaha
    Engine(s)

Dinghy Poker Run?

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
    That is soooo sad because A. It obviously isn't something that happens there and B. because you've never experienced it! It is very similar to a motorcycle poker run. There is several docks along the way, usually river and channel, where you stop to get cards. Best hand wins. However, nobody gives a crap about the cards. Every one has a theme so ppl are dressed up, dinghy's are decorated and EVERYONE has massive water cannons. It is basically a huge water fight. Proceeds go to a charity, usually hospice. It is truly one of the highlights of the summer. I know I've got a few pics somewhere. Ill try and dig some out after I get done working. :(

Shaun
    Sent from my iPhone

"Lucky 3"

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    Engine(s)

Dinghy Poker Run?

Here's a few from the last couple years. None of them are us, just random shots.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359208598.529844.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359208610.507875.jpg

Any time there's balloons, it's a card stop
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359208633.412408.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359208643.728013.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359208653.815941.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359208661.690657.jpg

It really is a great time. It's the one time of year here where the marine patrol (I know from first hand experience!) knows that everyone in the dinghy's are probably drunk and blowing the slow no wake law, but you just kinda let it go and enjoy the scenery!

Shaun
    Sent from my iPhone

"Lucky 3"

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    44EB
    Engine(s)
    CAT 3116

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky's View Post
    That is soooo sad because A. It obviously isn't something that happens there and B. because you've never experienced it! It is very similar to a motorcycle poker run. There is several docks along the way, usually river and channel, where you stop to get cards. Best hand wins. However, nobody gives a crap about the cards. Every one has a theme so ppl are dressed up, dinghy's are decorated and EVERYONE has massive water cannons. It is basically a huge water fight. Proceeds go to a charity, usually hospice. It is truly one of the highlights of the summer. I know I've got a few pics somewhere. Ill try and dig some out after I get done working. :(

Shaun
    Sent from my iPhone
    Is it all done with dinghys? You should organize one.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    Engine(s)

Dinghy Poker Run?

Yes it is 100% dinghy's. The poker runs here classify anything under 16' a dingy so you can use a jet boat, aluminum boat, etc. but 90% of participants are in inflatables. There's usually around 150-250 dinghy's involved. Organizing one was the first thing I thought of when you said there isn't any. Only problem I see is if no one there is familiar with them or heard of them I don't know what kind of participation you'd get. Around here dinghy's are used a lot. For going to dinner, shopping, running to the beach, etc. Are the used as much there??

Shaun
    Sent from my iPhone

"Lucky 3"

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    Engine(s)

Dinghy Poker Run?

FYI, If you're bored and/or interested in it at all, I just went to YouTube and searched "dinghy poker run" and there's a ton of videos from all over the country. I won't bother posting any since there's a bunch but if you check it out it might give you a better picture of what they're like.

Shaun
    Sent from my iPhone

"Lucky 3"

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    44EB
    Engine(s)
    CAT 3116

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky's View Post
    Are the used as much there??
    Not really. They use them when boats anchor out but you don't see them in the ICW much. I think the geography is different here. You'll find alot more Seadoos and Jet Skis than tenders