Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Boat
    searay
    Details
    330ec
    Engine(s)
    Twin 7.4 straight drive

suffolk county ny boating license

Does anybody know if they ever passed the law making it mandatory to obtain a boating license in order to operate in suffolk county waters? There has to be some stipulations with the law. Do you have to have the license only if your home port is in suffolk? What him someone from out of state wants to go to fi for the weeknd. They have to take the test and obtain a license? Sounds a little ridiculous to me. My home port is in Nassau county do I need to get it? Such a hassel that will probably solve nothing.

Boat
    Sea Ray, Mercury
    Details
    2007 36DB --Merc 270 Airdek dinghy
    Engine(s)
    8.1 s 7kw Kohler 6 hp Merc

Re: suffolk county ny boating license

Legislators mandate safe boating courses for county residents

By Elana GlowatzWrite The Author

Suffolk’s Safer Waterways Act requires all pleasure boaters to take a boating safety course. File photo

September 20, 2012 | 09:49 AM
    Suffolk County legislators unanimously passed a bill last week that requires boaters to take a safety course before operating in county waters.

Suffolk's Safer Waterways Act, introduced by Legislators Steve Stern (D-Dix Hills), Lynne Nowick (R-St. James) and Tom Barraga (R-West Islip), is still waiting for Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone's signature, according to Stern spokesman Bryan Galgano. If signed, the law would go into effect one year afterward, giving instructors and boaters "the time that they need to get everybody up to speed."

The legislation, which passed Sept. 14, mandates all boaters who are Suffolk County residents operating a pleasure vessel in county waters have a boating safety certificate and keep it aboard the vessel while it is being operated.

New York State navigation law defines a pleasure vessel as one that is used for neither commercial nor residential purposes.

According to the legislation, the safety certificates may be issued by "any entity that offers a boating course that meets the standards set by the National Association of [State] Boating Law Administrators," such as the United States Power Squadrons, the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary or the state Department of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Violators face a $250 fine for the first offense, a $500 fine for the second offense and a fine of $1,000 and/or a year imprisonment for a third offense.

The act applies to all waters within the boundaries of Suffolk County or parts of larger bodies that are adjacent to Suffolk and are within jurisdiction of New York State.

The legislation comes two months after a boating accident in Oyster Bay in which three children died.

Huntington Town's senior harbormaster Harry Acker said, "It's an outstanding idea but I think the legislation falls short."

Acker said because most instructors are volunteers, this legislation could overwhelm the system.

Galgano said in an interview Tuesday that the one-year waiting period effectively gives boaters until the start of the 2014 boating season to become certified, as the law would not go into effect until after the 2013 season is over. He said this gives the instructors time to meet higher demand.

Acker pointed to other holes, such as what Suffolk County authorities would do about people who are not county residents boating in Suffolk waters.

Galgano said the hope is that a certification or licensing system becomes a statewide effort. He said Suffolk County's legislation could help "give it some momentum."

The Huntington harbormaster said licensing is something that should be done by the state, and could be tied into the licensing system for land vehicles.

"They can charge a nominal fee to upgrade your license" to show a boater took a safety course, he said.

Even with a licensing system, Acker said the fact remains that many local boating incidents and summonses stem from people violating other laws such as speed limits or boating while intoxicated. He compared it to people texting while driving — "It's illegal and everybody knows it," but they still text or talk on the phone while driving.

State legislators have also been exploring whether New York should enact tighter boating regulations. Sen. Carl Marcellino (R-Syosset), chair of the Senate Standing Committee on Investigations and Government Relations, said recently he expects that by January the committee will have recommendations for legislation on the issue.

The state currently requires boater safety education for anyone operating a Jet Ski and for minors ages 10-18 operating a motorboat.

Brookhaven Harbormaster Peter Koutrakos, whose office is at Port Jefferson Harbor, said the Suffolk County legislation has "long been needed and it's about time that it happens."

Koutrakos estimated that in 80 percent of the accidents he sees on the water, the incident could have been avoided if the boater "had a little more knowledge."

He gave an example of a man who was coming in on a misty night and was using GPS instead of radar to navigate. The boater slammed into an entrance buoy, causing damage to his boat, and his face hit the dashboard, breaking his nose. When Koutrakos arrived the next morning, he found "the dock covered in blood."

so, even if It did pass it wouldn't go into affect till Sept, this year. Too many holes in it right now to pass IMO .
    Last edited by Havana Shamrock; 03-12-2013 at 02:41 PM.

2007 36 DB
    Mirage
    Previous Sea Rays:
    2003 320 DA Havana Shamrock
    1998 250 DA
    Frozen with Salt
    http://clubsearay.com/forum/group.php?groupid=12 Great south bay boaters

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    97 270DA 5k Kohler A/C, 85 Monaco 197
    Engine(s)
    7.4 300hp BII, 260hp Alpha 1

Boat
    Sea Ray, Mercury
    Details
    2007 36DB --Merc 270 Airdek dinghy
    Engine(s)
    8.1 s 7kw Kohler 6 hp Merc

Yeah it will be in effect in Sept, wonder if you don't have one if now is better than then?

2007 36 DB
    Mirage
    Previous Sea Rays:
    2003 320 DA Havana Shamrock
    1998 250 DA
    Frozen with Salt
    http://clubsearay.com/forum/group.php?groupid=12 Great south bay boaters

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    88 Weekender 300 "Seahorse"
    Engine(s)
    Twins 350

Until they treat piloting a boat the same, on near same, as driving a car nothing will change. Classroom needs to be back up with hands on and the whole thing should or could be done by the state game commission. All money could go to those resource officers. I hate the Gov idiots just as much as the rest but something does need to be done

Boat
    searay
    Details
    330ec
    Engine(s)
    Twin 7.4 straight drive

Well im a queens resident and home prt is nassau so im happy I dont have to go and get it. I just dont understand what there trying to do by making this license mandatory. Its not going to change peoples habits or keep the not so smart off the water. Personally I just think its another money maker.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1997 330 sundancer
    Engine(s)
    twin 454's, Carb, V-Drives

suffolk county ny boating license

Quote Originally Posted by Xplicitlnck View Post
    Well im a queens resident and home prt is nassau so im happy I dont have to go and get it. I just dont understand what there trying to do by making this license mandatory. Its not going to change peoples habits or keep the not so smart off the water. Personally I just think its another money maker.
    I agree. You can't fix stupid & ignorant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers!!

Todd

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2004 280 Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    Twin 4.3 - Alpha's

My wife and I stared the class last week. They said the law goes into effect in November.
    -Tim

Previous Boat:
    2004 Four Winns H230 - VP 5.7GI-DP

Boat
    sea ray 205 sport
    Details
    2010 sea ray 205 sport F150 5.4 xlt 4x4
    Engine(s)
    Mercruiser 4.3 mpi alpha 1.62

Quote Originally Posted by Xplicitlnck View Post
    Does anybody know if they ever passed the law making it mandatory to obtain a boating license in order to operate in suffolk county waters? There has to be some stipulations with the law. Do you have to have the license only if your home port is in suffolk? What him someone from out of state wants to go to fi for the weeknd. They have to take the test and obtain a license? Sounds a little ridiculous to me. My home port is in Nassau county do I need to get it? Such a hassel that will probably solve nothing.
    I believe if you are an out of state resident with an out of state registration then you must only comply with the license requirements of your state. And I agree it's a real money maker because those fines seem excessive. NY is hurting for money pretty bad.

Here's an idea. Lets set up cameras to record the registration numbers and image of boaters with no PFD or with a beer in their hand. Just open your mailbox and boom, a $500 ticket. Maybe they could also use their new UAV'S for enforcement too. At least when their not busy spying on your back yard.
    Last edited by blaster; 03-12-2013 at 06:04 PM.
    2010 205 sport
    1973 Shakespeare 14R Mercury 110
    1993 Gheenoe. 1980 4.5 Johnson sea horse

Boat
    searay
    Details
    330ec
    Engine(s)
    Twin 7.4 straight drive

Quote Originally Posted by blaster View Post
    Here's an idea. Lets set up cameras to record the registration numbers and image of boaters with no PFD or with a beer in their hand. Just open your mailbox and boom, a $500 ticket. Maybe they could also use their new UAV'S for enforcement too. At least when their not busy spying on your back yard.
    No don't do that I would be broke after a week!!! No jk well not realy but ok.So now let me double check this. The law is for Suffolk county residents only. Therefore I do NOT need to obtain a license to enter Suffolk county water?