Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    52 Sedan Bridge, Raymarine E120 Wide's,
    Engine(s)
    Cummins QSM-11's

Re: suffolk county ny boating license

Jonathan, you do not need the license. I've been boating my whole life but had to take the course to satisfy this requirement. My wife and I took it two weeks ago and other than spending $40 the course had no impact on my boating knwledge but i now have a certificate thats says i'm safer on the water. The stupid you can't fix is our knee jerk reaction pandering politicians....oh, yeah and the captain that overloaded that Silverton that lead to this pos legislation.
    Brian

2006 52 Sedan Bridge QSM-11's
    2006 44 Sedan Bridge QSC 500's
    2006 40 Sundancer 8.1HO
    2003 320 Sundancer 350Magnum I/B's

Boat
    Sea Ray, Mercury
    Details
    2007 36DB --Merc 270 Airdek dinghy
    Engine(s)
    8.1 s 7kw Kohler 6 hp Merc

suffolk county ny boating license

How long is the license valid for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007 36 DB
    Mirage
    Previous Sea Rays:
    2003 320 DA Havana Shamrock
    1998 250 DA
    Frozen with Salt
    http://clubsearay.com/forum/group.php?groupid=12 Great south bay boaters

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2004 280 Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    Twin 4.3 - Alpha's

If you live and use your boat in Suffolk County then you need the certificate. If you live outside of Suffolk County you do not need the certificate to use your boat in Suffolk County. Suffolk County set this law to try to push the requirement to the state level. Therefore it could be required by NY State before long.

As a consequence of this law my wife decided to take the course with me which is either going to answer a lot of her questions or question a lot (more) of my action out on the water. I’ll let you know if this was a good idea in a few months.
    -Tim

Previous Boat:
    2004 Four Winns H230 - VP 5.7GI-DP

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    '10 540DA, t/t:Amanzi350-40hp Raymarine G150s HD MFDs/48kw Radar/DSM300 Sounder
    Engine(s)
    Cummins QSC8.3-600s Pod Drive/Skyhook 21.5kw Onan

I thought NY did this a while back as did NJ on a state level? It was a faze in by age, with new young boaters needing a boater safety course first and then by age group being extended. Over a certain age you were grandfathered in. I had my "then" young boys do this in 2005. It was needed for PWC operation, and general baoting safety. It let them go out on the tender themselves. The course required was only the basic USPS boating course (8hrs) with no navagation needed, so the example of the boater running into the bouy is mute!

Ive been boarded by NY local marine police, and the USCG (for "routine' safety inspections) and on habit when showing my papers, I pull out my 1988 boater safety certificate from NJ state police and they always said.."we don't need that". Maybe I look old

Rich

FRA DIAVLO
    Mahwah, NJ.
    What you eat today, may burn your A** tomorrow

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2004 280 Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    Twin 4.3 - Alpha's

Not at the NY State level yet. Current requirement states anyone between the ages of 10 and 18 must have the certificate to operate a boat. As for PWCs, everyone must have a certificate and the minimum age to operate one is 14.
    -Tim

Previous Boat:
    2004 Four Winns H230 - VP 5.7GI-DP

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1995 550 Sedan Bridge
    Engine(s)
    CAT 3406's, 580hp.

WA has a mandatory boating safety course requirement and, as Rich122 mentioned above, it's being phased in by age groups. I'm all for a mandatory boating safety course. I've been an active boater for almost 30 years and the dumb stuff I've seen happen on the water simply amazes me.

I guess I would turn Xplicit's question around and ask "Why would you NOT want to take a boating safety course?" If you only learned a few new things from the course, wouldn't that tend to make you a safer boater?

For the record, I'm exempt from WA's requirements because if my olllllllld age, but my wife and I took the course anyway. It was the first boating safety course for her, the third time I've taken it. I felt it was important for her to take it and it was a good refresher for me.

IMHO, we're never too old to learn about safety on the water.
    http://clubsearay.com/signaturepics/sigpic14168_1.gif
    1995 550 Sedan Bridge "Beachcomber"
    'There is nothing-absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats"
    Proud dues paying Charter Member of the Hole In The Water Club!

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    88 Weekender 300 "Seahorse"
    Engine(s)
    Twins 350

We have the same program here in VA. It's a good program but hands on would be a damn good addition to the Lic Requirments. While I do have mine I'm looking into the next step up from just that one class

Boat
    Sea Ray, Mercury
    Details
    2007 36DB --Merc 270 Airdek dinghy
    Engine(s)
    8.1 s 7kw Kohler 6 hp Merc

The suffolk law is: any boat registered in Suffolk county and operated there the operator must have the safety certificate. to answer Johnathans question: since his boat is not reg in Suffolk county right now he is exempt however our reg numbers do not tell the authorities where our boats are registered and they could stop you to find out, then its a safety check etc,,,, as far as I can tell the certificate is good for life. And it's a good idea to have someone else on the boat get it also in case you can't safely operate the boat back to homeport. They are def trying to mandate this on a state level so just do it now while its still winter .

2007 36 DB
    Mirage
    Previous Sea Rays:
    2003 320 DA Havana Shamrock
    1998 250 DA
    Frozen with Salt
    http://clubsearay.com/forum/group.php?groupid=12 Great south bay boaters

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1999 Sundancer 270DA SE Foss Landing & Marina Tacoma,WA
    Engine(s)
    5.7L w/ Bravo II

Quote Originally Posted by Gofirstclass View Post
    WA has a mandatory boating safety course requirement and, as Rich122 mentioned above, it's being phased in by age groups. I'm all for a mandatory boating safety course. I've been an active boater for almost 30 years and the dumb stuff I've seen happen on the water simply amazes me.

I guess I would turn Xplicit's question around and ask "Why would you NOT want to take a boating safety course?" If you only learned a few new things from the course, wouldn't that tend to make you a safer boater?

For the record, I'm exempt from WA's requirements because if my olllllllld age, but my wife and I took the course anyway. It was the first boating safety course for her, the third time I've taken it. I felt it was important for her to take it and it was a good refresher for me.

IMHO, we're never too old to learn about safety on the water.
    I took the safety course also even though it isn't mandantory because of age. I also get a USCGAUX Vessel Safety Inspection every year whenever the CG or Harbor Patrol pull up alongside us they just look at the Safety Sticker and wave as they go by.

http://www.cgaux.org/vsc/
    Bob & Sue
    Puget Sound Wa

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    97 270DA 5k Kohler A/C, 85 Monaco 197
    Engine(s)
    7.4 300hp BII, 260hp Alpha 1

I am against all local and state requirements for boating. Boating is a transportation issue at its heart and all regulations should be uniform accross all waters. I have no issue with a CG education and training requirement, but patchwork regulations are a hassle opportunity for harassment of non residents.

MM