Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2001 380DA
    Engine(s)
    Merc 8.1S Horizons (2008)...Hurth ZF 63 V-drives...Westerbeke 7.0 BCGD... Raytheon RL80C, Garmn740s

Raw water pump leak...

I was poking around the bilge getting acquainted and noticed this rusty looking spot and a slightly rusty raw water pump pulley on the port engine. Looked over at the stbd and it was perfect and painted with no stain beneath...

Start the engines and check again and spotted a water droplet forming at the spot with the arrow. I haven't looked into it much further so I'm not certain where the water is originating from. If it's from the pump, what's going bad? The bearing? Spoke to a few people with the same pump and they have not encountered this. Anyone have a raw water pump fail/leak?

_____Day Tripper_____

Previous boats: 1988 Regal Sebring 19' cuddy; 2002 Crownline 262CR; 1989 Sea Ray 340DB

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2000 310 Sundancer 1997 175BR
    Engine(s)
    310: Twin 454 Mercruiser w/Bravo III 175: Mercruiser 3.0

Re: Raw water pump leak...

The raw water pump on the boat is performing the same duty as the water pump on your car. I could be wrong, but the biggest real difference between them is that on the boat, the impeller is designed to be replaceable, while on the car it isn't.

But just as the water pump on your car will eventually wear out and start dripping coolant from the "weep hole", the one on the boat will do the same. That's due to the fact that there are still mechanical seals around the shaft and other moving parts in the pump to keep the water/coolant where it is supposed to be, and they wear out with use.

That's why the weep hole is there - it's designed to be an early warning of seal failure, before the unit dies completely.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2001 380DA
    Engine(s)
    Merc 8.1S Horizons (2008)...Hurth ZF 63 V-drives...Westerbeke 7.0 BCGD... Raytheon RL80C, Garmn740s

src...thanks. I have replaced the impellers several times on my old boat but have never seen this pump fail or leak, nor has anyone else I've spoken to. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced failure.

Each motor also has a circulating pump, which is the equivalent of an automotive water pump. My leak is on a different pump that is designed to pull seawater in to cool the motor. Cars use air to cool the coolant. Boats use seawater to cool the coolant. My "circulator pump" is fine. It's this raw water pump that's iffy.

_____Day Tripper_____

Previous boats: 1988 Regal Sebring 19' cuddy; 2002 Crownline 262CR; 1989 Sea Ray 340DB

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    Boatless
    Engine(s)
    Boatless

I guess anything with a seal has the potential to fail. From the all that rust it is flinging around.

Clean the area to help with tracing the leak. Is it possible it could be coming from a hose that may be above? Pics don't show that area. If the leak is not easily traceable yu might try cleaning, then coating with a thin coat of vaseline and then sprinle baby powder over everything. Hopefully where the water is ciming from will be more eveident.

Just some thoughts. Good luck.
    2000 270 Sundancer- "Wine Down II" (SOLD)
    1994 250 Express Cruiser- "Wine Down" sold
    1987 BW Outrage- "Outrageous Luck" sold
    1987 Cobia Monte Carlo 187-"Penguin Lust" traded

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2001 400DB / 2009 175 Sport
    Engine(s)
    Cummins 6CTA / 3.0L Merc, Alpha 1

I have a similar (maybe the same) raw water pump on my 2004 300DA with 5.7s. I just had the impellers replaced for the third time. One pump had bad bearings and so we rebuilt it. The other was fine. My dock neighbor has a 2002 300DA and last fall one of his pumps started to leak and had to be replaced. The mechanic that just did my impellars said I should get new pumps with the next impeller change in three years. That would put them at 12 years old. So, if yours are original they may just be reaching the end of their natural life.
    -- Bill

2009 Sea Ray 175 Sport
    2001 Sea Ray 400DB

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2001 380DA
    Engine(s)

If I can confirm that the water is indeed coming from the pump bearing I'm likely going to replace with one of THESE. The boat was repowered in 2008 so if this is an original pump, it's going to be about 5 years old. Looks like a much improved design over Merc's. I have a friend who had them installed in his 320DA and he's very happy with them. I'll leave the stbd (it's fine) for now. Probably pull it and replace the impeller on that one while I'm at it.

_____Day Tripper_____

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1999/2007 330 Sundancer Hardtop.
    Engine(s)
    6.2 Merc Horixons 1.5:1 Velvet Drives

Quote Originally Posted by rondds View Post
    If I can confirm that the water is indeed coming from the pump bearing I'm likely going to replace with one of THESE. The boat was repowered in 2008 so if this is an original pump, it's going to be about 5 years old. Looks like a much improved design over Merc's. I have a friend who had them installed in his 320DA and he's very happy with them. I'll leave the stbd (it's fine) for now. Probably pull it and replace the impeller on that one while I'm at it.
    Just curious. Why not go with a crank mounted pump and save yourself the headaches? The impeller change becomes a 30 - 40 minute job for both engines.

Pump-Mounted-BIG.jpg

Priced out with the bracket and everything else, it's about the same as the stainless.
    Best Regards,
    David

"Saint Max", '99 330 Dancer
    2007 6.2L Mercruiser Horizons; 1.5:1 Velvet V5000 "V" Drives

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2002 320DA
    Engine(s)
    350MAG Horizons / V-drives

In the case of the 320DA, crank mounted pumps are not an option - there simply isn't enough room in front of the motors (at least with the genset installed). I agree they are a great option if you have the room for them.

I had a pair of the pumps Ron linked to installed this year. Cheaper than the OEM bronze pumps, built from 316 Stainless steel, and designed with internal wear plates...the mechanic that installed them was very impressed. They are solid and well made. Time will tell if they outlast the OEMs, but as someone that has replaced three sets of OEM raw water pumps over the last eight seasons, I was ready to try something new.

-CJ
    Last edited by CJ Martin; 05-17-2013 at 05:00 AM.

"Full Circle II"
    2002 320DA
    5.7L Horizons/V-drives
    West Basin Marina, Patuxent River MD

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1999/2007 330 Sundancer Hardtop.
    Engine(s)
    6.2 Merc Horixons 1.5:1 Velvet Drives

It will be interesting to see if someone tries to replicate a pump on a 3D printer!
    Best Regards,
    David

"Saint Max", '99 330 Dancer
    2007 6.2L Mercruiser Horizons; 1.5:1 Velvet V5000 "V" Drives

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2001 380DA
    Engine(s)

Has anyone rebuilt one of these pumps?

I'm not finding a "rebuild kit" but the cost of #4 thru #9 above is around $100.00.

_____Day Tripper_____