Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2001 40 Sedan Bridge
    Engine(s)
    Cummins 6CTA

What was the last year Sea Ray stopped using Vitricor in the 400DB?

I've looked at several 400DB's that had the Cherry Vitricor cabinetry. All were 2000 ( and earlier) with the infamous delaminiation problem (cracking around each radius'd corner). Recently I've seen a 2002 that used a different Cherry Mica cabinet (similar to my 2005 280DA). the material looked great, no problems at all.

What is used in 2001?

Anybody have 10 year+ Vitricor that still looks perfect?

Thanks,

Paul
    Paul
    Previous....
    2005 280DA T4.3
    2005 185 Sport 4.3 - Sport Tower
    1985 7' Plywood & Fiberglass (homemade)

Chesapeake Bay, Middle River/Frog Mortar Creek MD.
    Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1999 270 DA
    Engine(s)
    Twin 4.3s W/Alpa I Gen II's

Re: What was the last year Sea Ray stopped using Vitricor in the 400DB?

Hi Paul, excellent question as I would like to know the answer myself. If you need to know in a hurry, you've been around here long enough to know, a quick e-mail to Sea Ray would likely yeild great results! Good luck in your search and let us know what you found out. PS love the cherry.
    Last edited by techmitch; 07-05-2013 at 06:57 PM. Reason: add PS
    Mitch

2nd Chance

Boat
    Sea Ray & a Boston Whaler Dauntless (75hp Merc)
    Details
    1996 450DA
    Engine(s)
    3116 Caterpillars

The Vitricore didn't delaminate........the glue just didn't hold. Every older Vitricore boat, all models, in our marina has the original cabinet facing. Some have been repaired. The repair is easy and if it is done correctly as soon as the piece comes loose, it is fine. THe problem comes when an owner fails to react and get the loose panel repaired before he hangs it on something and breaks the Vitricore
    Frank

Boat
    SR
    Details
    400 DA
    Engine(s)
    CAT 3116s

Are there pictures or another thread that describe this issue?

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    460 Sundancer 2002
    Engine(s)
    Cummins 8.3 6CTA

You can check with Sea Ray but there was a change for the 2002 model year. Vitricor, which had a thick glossy laminate was replaced with a material with a satin finish. Both "cherry" and "maple" were affected by the change. We have the "Hampton Maple" interior which is pleasant and hides finger prints fairly well. Absolutely no delamination issues with this product to my knowledge.

A few years back when we were looking at 480DB models I did notice a number of them had the same Vitricor delamination problem in the galleys on the overhead cabinet with the tight radius. I believe they were 2000 and 2001 models, both cherry and maple.

'02 460DA Cummins 450
    formerly 365 Four Winns 502 c.i.d. &
    28' Carver Riviera

Boat
    Carver
    Details
    1994 Carver 370 Motoryacht
    Engine(s)
    Twin Crusader 454 - 350 HP Each.

I have always thought it to be from heat inside the boat when not aboard and the A/C is not on. All of the boats at our marina that sit with no use and no air on all have the delam issues, the boats people are constantly on are all in perfect shape.
    Capt. Ray Bock
    1994 Carver 370 Motoryacht - Twin 350 HP 454 Crusaders
    1999 Zodiac Yachtline 380 DL - 40 HP Yamaha
    2013 Z-Ray 300 Inflatable - 5 HP Merc 2-Stroke
    1990 Sea Doo SP

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    460 Sundancer 2002
    Engine(s)
    Cummins 8.3 6CTA

Ray,

I think you are correct. The Vitricore material has a thick plastic outer lamination that has a tendency to unglue from the cabinet, in a hot setting as Frank points out. An example is the tight radius of the starboard galley on the 480DB where an unused boat accumulates a great deal of heat. Using the boat regularly will keep it within a certain temperature range and probably avoids, or delays issues like this. I never noticed as much problem in the early 'Dancers as the bridge boats of that era.

James
    Last edited by Jaws; 07-06-2013 at 10:06 AM.

'02 460DA Cummins 450
    formerly 365 Four Winns 502 c.i.d. &
    28' Carver Riviera

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2001 410DA
    Engine(s)
    Mercruiser 8.1S Horizons

What was the last year Sea Ray stopped using Vitricor in the 400DB?

We have a 2001 410DA an have had some issue with the Vitricor peeling. We had it fixed and all seems well now. Just make sure you use the right glue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Bryan

2001 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer

http://catawbakru.blogspot.com/

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    410 Sundancer - 2001
    Engine(s)
    Twin 8.1L Mercruisers - 2009

These people made it, sold it (to a company that caused the problems), started making it again under a different name.

http://www.nuvacor.com

http://www.nuvacor.com/NUVACORSamples/NATURA/index.html

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2001 40 Sedan Bridge
    Engine(s)
    Cummins 6CTA

Quote Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
    You can check with Sea Ray but there was a change for the 2002 model year. Vitricor, which had a thick glossy laminate was replaced with a material with a satin finish. Both "cherry" and "maple" were affected by the change. We have the "Hampton Maple" interior which is pleasant and hides finger prints fairly well. Absolutely no delamination issues with this product to my knowledge.

A few years back when we were looking at 480DB models I did notice a number of them had the same Vitricor delamination problem in the galleys on the overhead cabinet with the tight radius. I believe they were 2000 and 2001 models, both cherry and maple.

I contacted Sea Ray with the HIN number of a specific boat I was interested. the response was that it had Vitricor (being a 2001 boat). Now the funny part is that it is NOT Vitricor and more the satin cherry finish that looks the same as the 2002 and later. So now I'm second guessing the validity response on other questions -LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Carver370 View Post
    I have always thought it to be from heat inside the boat when not aboard and the A/C is not on. All of the boats at our marina that sit with no use and no air on all have the delam issues, the boats people are constantly on are all in perfect shape.
    I'll agree with your assessment on this. Keeping the air moving, heat down and moisture under control it *should* last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by fwebster View Post
    The Vitricore didn't delaminate........the glue just didn't hold. Every older Vitricore boat, all models, in our marina has the original cabinet facing. Some have been repaired. The repair is easy and if it is done correctly as soon as the piece comes loose, it is fine. THe problem comes when an owner fails to react and get the loose panel repaired before he hangs it on something and breaks the Vitricore
    The glue failed , OK splitting hairs ;-) I wish I had a picture of the 2 issues I saw. It was much worse than glue failing, and I couldn't see an easy fix for it. The thick glossy laminate that Jaws describes was separating from the cherry finish. The best that I can describe is a paper image of wood, covered by a thick glossy hard plastic coating. That coating would delaminate from the image and eventually crack. I'm not seeing an easy way to glue this without changing the appearance of the material. Basically you would have to glue the clear coat back on the paper cherry image.
    Paul
    Previous....
    2005 280DA T4.3
    2005 185 Sport 4.3 - Sport Tower
    1985 7' Plywood & Fiberglass (homemade)