Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Boat
    Searay
    Details
    2000 260DA w/Garmin 545s GPS with Standard Horion GX1500S DSC VHF
    Engine(s)
    5.7L EFI with New Gen Bravo III Merc

oil drain plug hose

I am having the tech working on my boat add the Mercruiser Oil pan drain plug hose kit. It will come through the transom drain (also getting replaced) and allow me to change oil frequently.
    The tech mentioned that it does take quite awhile to drain out(maybe overnight). I have the hand pump one that I have used through the dipstick, but that can be a pain as well.

He suggested what they use to change oil.
    It has an electric pump on it and he says takes just a couple minutes to pump out the oil.
    If I connect the new hose to the pump it will may a quick and clean Oil change.
    Has anyone used one? They're about $150.00 and I change my oil every 30 hours or so. This would make that less painless I think.
    Skål, Todd

~Nehalennia ∆~ Celtic Goddess of the Seafarers
    2000 ~ SeaRay ~ 260DA, 5.7L EFI, Bravo III

www.vikingbay.co

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1997 Sea Ray 400DA
    Engine(s)
    Cat 3116

Re: oil drain plug hose

ive used a home built one my father made years ago. not too hard to make. for a lot less money. the thing that seems attractive to me about the drain kit is that I would think you would get all the oil. The dip stick never seems to get it all there is always a little left in the bottom. IMO
    Phil
    Padanaram Harbor,
    Dartmouth, MA
    24 Sea Ray Laguna
    1986 Bayliner Conquest 3250 For Sale

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    340EC
    Engine(s)
    330 HP Mercruiser inboards

Todd,

Yes, I bought one a few years ago after putting it off for several. I think mine has the same (Jabsco?) pump as the one in the photo.

Previously, I used a common hand pump that you see at all the marine stores. It was a lot of work, and messy; every so often I'd pull too hard and pull the top off, spraying oil all over everything.

I'd say it's absolutely worth it. I loan it to good friends at the marina (they're always helping me in some way), so it often gets used a couple of times a month and is holding up well. No mess at all, and when you're done you have your oil in a nice container to take to the recycler. It's a good tool to have around.
    John
    "Unleashed"
    1986 340EC w/Mercruiser MIE 340's
    1995 BW Montauk w/ Mercury 125

Previous- 1986 300WE, 1979 260DA

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    340EC
    Engine(s)
    330 HP Mercruiser inboards

Forgot to mention that it's always best to warm up the engine first, so the oil is also warm. It makes all the difference.
    John
    "Unleashed"
    1986 340EC w/Mercruiser MIE 340's
    1995 BW Montauk w/ Mercury 125

Previous- 1986 300WE, 1979 260DA

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2006 300DA Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    350 Mags / Bravo III

Todd, to speed things along a bit, you could use the 12V bucket pump to pull the oil down to the dipstick tube level, then use the remote oil pan drain to get that last quart out.

I asked my mechanic to use the drain hoses this year during winterization. Last year he used his bucket pump then dumped in the amount of oil the crank case is rated for. (wasn't thinking or was in a hurry) When I pulled the sticks in the spring they were both a quart overfilled. I used his 12V bucket pump and it didn't take long to suck that extra quart out. His worked really well on warm oil.
    Jeff
    2006 300DA 350 Mags / Bravo 3
    Kohler 5E

Boat
    Of
    Details
    Your
    Engine(s)
    Business

First of all it does NOT take overnight to drain the oil properly from the oil drail line. I've done this dozens of times. The tech is misinformed. Warm the engine sufficiently and the oil will drain in the time it takes you to get your tools together and replace the old oil filter and prep the new oil, funnel etc. 15-20 minutes tops.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2006 260DA
    Engine(s)
    350 MAG Bravo III

Todd

I use the Oil Boy pump like you have and I find it is very quick. I can siphon mine in 2-3 minutes. Does yours take longer?
    2006 260DA............Former Sea Rays..... 1999 210SD ...... 2002 240SD

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2008 44 Sedan Bridge
    Engine(s)
    Cummins QSC-500's Straight Drives

I used the pump on my transmission last week. It was great. I plan to suck most of it out of the engines with the pump, then drain the excess into narrow pans.
    John

2008 44 Sedan Bridge - Shell's Island II - Our awesome 44!
    2005 340 Sundancer - Shell's Island - The perfect 340! - TRADED!
    1997 250 Sundancer - Hampton's Inn - SOLD!

Boat
    SeaRay
    Details
    '01 230BR
    Engine(s)
    350mag B3,

Quote Originally Posted by jg300da View Post
    First of all it does NOT take overnight to drain the oil properly from the oil drail line. I've done this dozens of times. The tech is misinformed. Warm the engine sufficiently and the oil will drain in the time it takes you to get your tools together and replace the old oil filter and prep the new oil, funnel etc. 15-20 minutes tops.
    What he said. A few minutes tops with the oil warm. Mine was done about the time I had the filter replaced and did a quick once over of the bilge area. SB

I used to own the boat in that picture up there ^

Boat
    Searay
    Details
    2000 260DA w/Garmin 545s GPS with Standard Horion GX1500S DSC VHF
    Engine(s)
    5.7L EFI with New Gen Bravo III Merc

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Cat View Post
    Todd, to speed things along a bit, you could use the 12V bucket pump to pull the oil down to the dipstick tube level, then use the remote oil pan drain to get that last quart out.

I asked my mechanic to use the drain hoses this year during winterization. Last year he used his bucket pump then dumped in the amount of oil the crank case is rated for. (wasn't thinking or was in a hurry) When I pulled the sticks in the spring they were both a quart overfilled. I used his 12V bucket pump and it didn't take long to suck that extra quart out. His worked really well on warm oil.
    Keep in mind the filter holds nearly a quart. Make sure you check your oil level after the engine has ran about 5 minutes then shut down for 10. This let's the filter fill and the oil run through the engine recollect enough in the pan to gauge accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by jg300da View Post
    Typically most marine service yards don't run the engine prior to draining. So the tech's not misinformed he's just basing it on cold oil. And very little air flow through the crank to assist in the draining process unless you pump it out. Also when you run the engine prior then draining you'll still have residual oil left in the engine, nearly 1/2 quart.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Todd

I use the Oil Boy pump like you have and I find it is very quick. I can siphon mine in 2-3 minutes. Does yours take longer?
    My hand pump takes about 20 minutes and yeilds maybe just over 4 quarts. so I'm hoping I have most of it assuming 1/3 of a quart is still in the filter.
    Skål, Todd

~Nehalennia ∆~ Celtic Goddess of the Seafarers
    2000 ~ SeaRay ~ 260DA, 5.7L EFI, Bravo III

www.vikingbay.co