Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.CBangler.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Boat
    Sea Ray (Everything else is Just a Boat)
    Details
    Looking For Next One
    Engine(s)
    Looking For Next One

Re: Sea Ray Photo shoot - 2013 CSR Invasion

What you came through GA and did not contact me! Hmm should I edit your post and take out the bad comments about GA (grin) Great job so far. Keep up the work Scott.

Previous Boat:
    2006 240 SunDeck, MS Judy, 350 MAG BR3
    North GA Mountains http://www.ssg-i.com

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2003 410DA, 2004 C14 Caribe
    Engine(s)
    CAT 3126TA's 350HP/ 50HP Honda

Quote Originally Posted by mistercomputerman View Post
    Visiting his mom in FL as part of the trip.

Shoot us some photos of some Sea Rays (no Meridians or Bayliners-that's a different forum!) when you get there. And do let us know if you get any feedback about your concerns.
    Makes for an even better trip!

Boat
    Sea Ray & a 22 Boston Whaler Dauntless 225 Merc - (now sold)
    Details
    1996 450DA
    Engine(s)
    3116 Caterpillars

Scott,

Some of the most interesting action on a boat photo shoot for us non-sales regular people is what happens behind the photographer. Try to keep a 360˚ view point and you will see some interesting stuff.
    Frank

Boat
    Formerly Sea Ray
    Details
    89' 200CC Cuddy (Sold)
    Engine(s)
    175HP 4.3L V-6

Thanks for the updates, and that thrilling 4+ minute drive on the highway. Looking forward to some real scenery at the photoshoot, that should be a step up from what was on the beach.

Boat
    Silverton
    Details
    330 Sport Bridge
    Engine(s)
    5.7 MPI 350 Merc Bluewaters

We are counting on superb coverage Scott. You can do it.

You are going to miss the Michigan city boat show. Your sacrifice will not go un-noticed.
    Silverton 330 Sport Bridge, Kohler 7.3KW gennie, 8'6" Zodiac 3.5merc
    Previous:
    1992 Sea Ray 290DA
    1990 Sea Ray 220DA
    1989 Sea Ray 200 Bow Rider
    http://thecanvasmedic.com/#

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    '07 340 DA, E97, A75, VV4, Soft Top '12 Boston Whaler 15 Montauk
    Engine(s)
    8.1 Mercruiser V-Drives, Mercury 60 HP Bigfoot

Thanks everyone....long day today, but I got a real interesting glimpse into the choreography that goes into making a brochure and internet footage. Took lots of pictures and videos, but I am beat...we start again at 6 am, so the camera is charging and I'll get even more. Lots to share with you guys, and I will just as soon as I can.

Everyone here has been exceptionally accommodating and courteous, and again I wish to express my appreciation to Matt and Sea Ray for the invite.

The boat we were shooting today was a 210 bow rider.

More tomorrow...along with pics, I promise.
    Scott of the most excellent Sea Ray "Destiny".
    "You listen. On this ship, you're to refer to me as 'idiot', not 'you captain'. I mean, you know what I mean.

Quando omni flunkus moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
    Previous boats: '03 320 DA, '01 280 DA, '95 270 DA, '81 260 DA, '87 230 WE, '66 Boston whaler 13 sport, '75 BW 13 Sport, '87 BW 15 Supersport, '09 BW 15 Supersport and a couple of dinghies.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1989 Sea Ray 340 DA
    Engine(s)
    twin 454 Mercs

no really enjoy your self. Awesome opportunity and we picked the best man...

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    '07 340 DA, E97, A75, VV4, Soft Top '12 Boston Whaler 15 Montauk
    Engine(s)
    8.1 Mercruiser V-Drives, Mercury 60 HP Bigfoot

Day Three

I awoke to the sound of thunder at my mother’s house in New Symrna Beach. After having six or so cups of coffee, (had to make sure that I followed the trend of stopping at every rest area) I hit the road south.

Anyone with an '80's vintage Sea Ray should recognize this shade of blue.....

On the way down, the weather was dotted by small, short duration thunderstorms. I’ve found you only need two wiper settings in your car while in Florida: Off and Torrential Downpour. After about five hours, I found myself in Islamorada and checked into the hotel.

The room assigned to me was/is probably one of the best in the hotel, and is on the fifth floor looking over the ocean.

I made contact with Matt shortly after, and headed down to the beach to partake in the photo shoot for a new 210 bow rider. I’ve always wondered what is involved in producing those brochures we love to gaze at, and now I can tell you….A lot of work.

The first pictures are of the still shots for the boat. During this time (well, actually the entire day) the wind was howling, which made it difficult for the film crews to get the right shot.

Here we see our "Talent" with Jen. Jen is responsible for wardrobe and making sure everyone looks great.

After the still photography was done, we gathered up our intrepid models, and boarded our chariot otherwise known as the blue canoe for some water shots. Part of the challenge here is that the “talent” has to operate the boat, and while these individuals are great at looking pretty, they may or may not know their way around a boat. In this case, it was the latter, but with some coaching, he improved throughout the session.

I give you the blue canoe...

As you can see, the blue canoe has wings on it, which allow the photographers to get up close and personal with the subject boat. I’ve never photographed in a salt water environment and have a new found respect for what it takes to keep the lenses clear of salt.

Some may recognize the fellow in the water, he has done many underwater shoots in hazardous conditions (sharks, and is now filming ‘Gator Boys’) and having now met Mark, I can attest that the guy is utterly fearless. On multiple occasions the right shot presented itself and Mark was over the side, before the captain had a chance to put the engines in neutral. At one time, he went off the front of the boat while the boat was moving forward under power….fearless.

Mark the Fearless

Once we captured the essence of the 210 underway, we made for the sunset beach scenes. Plausibility was a big deal here, as you can imagine. How do you create a scene that showcases having fun at the boat, but yet keep it reasonable? That was the challenge for the night.

The other challenge was the 20 knot winds which threatened to blow everything that was on the table down to Key West.

Interestingly, the wave action was relatively mild down here. With those same winds on the Great Lakes, we would be looking at 4 to 6 footers.

Finally, at about 9 pm, we called it quits and retired to Shula’s for some much needed food and, of course, beer. During the course of the evening, I was able to express some of my concerns about the direction Sea Ray is headed, and can say that they are aware of the situation, and are taking steps to remedy it.

After dinner, it was bed time, with the action starting again at 5:30 am.

I didn't really know what to expect when I came down. I knew I was here for a photo shoot, I didn't know what the capacity was. For those of you hoping to see an Average Joe (I purposely gained 60 lbs of winter so I could fit the bill) show up in the next Sea Ray brochure I am afraid you will be disappointed. The majority of what I am trying to document with this trip is what is involved in marketing the Sea Ray products we love so much.

My first day impressions: These guys work hard. It takes an excellent eye for detail to put the boat in just the right spot to get the timeless image that is desired. Complicating that you have the weather, other traffic, sometimes novice boat operators, and everything else you can think of. I am waiting for U-tube to upload some of the videos I took, but here is a taste...

Stay tuned for Today's Day Four activity..
    Last edited by sfergson727; 08-22-2013 at 10:48 AM.
    Scott of the most excellent Sea Ray "Destiny".
    "You listen. On this ship, you're to refer to me as 'idiot', not 'you captain'. I mean, you know what I mean.

Quando omni flunkus moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
    Previous boats: '03 320 DA, '01 280 DA, '95 270 DA, '81 260 DA, '87 230 WE, '66 Boston whaler 13 sport, '75 BW 13 Sport, '87 BW 15 Supersport, '09 BW 15 Supersport and a couple of dinghies.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2006 320DA w/Black hull; (2) 2016 3-up Seadoo Sparks
    Engine(s)
    350 Mercruiser MPI V drives

Great pics and perspective so far. Thanks and keep up the good work!
    Shaun

Past boats (Sea Ray's):
    1986 Sea Ray 300WE
    1995 Sea Ray Laguna 24'CC

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    268 Sea Ray Sundancer 1988
    Engine(s)
    2X 4.3L 4bbl Mercs w/ Alphas

Every time I try to click on a video it says private?
    Proud Member of: "HOLE IN THE WATER CLUB"

1988 268 Sea Ray Sundancer - 1989 230 Sea Ray Weekender
    1984 210 Chris Craft Scorpion - 1984 187 SRV Monaco Open Bow
    1978 187 Beach Craft Open Bow Runabout