Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    '07 340 DA, E97, A75, VV4, Soft Top '12 Boston Whaler 15 Montauk
    Engine(s)
    8.1 Mercruiser V-Drives, Mercury 60 HP Bigfoot

Sea Ray Photo shoot - 2013 CSR Invasion

Hello All,

First off, I would like to thank Matt Guilford and Sea Ray for offering an all-expense paid trip to Florida to participate and witness the elusive event which is known to us common folk as a photo shoot. Further, I wish to thank all the good people here at Club Sea Ray who have made it possible for me to witness and document the experience. Thank you all.

I was offered a choice between flying down from my home in Valparaiso, IN or drive. Since my mother lives in Florida, I decided it would be in order to make a visit at her house as part of the trip, thus I made the choice to drive.

I left home yesterday with the intention of driving to her home in New Smyrna Beach in one day. Having done this before, I thought I could manage it. Well, I've learned a few things about what happens as we age.

1. Never pass up a rest area.

b. Your Garmin GPS is not your friend

2. Atlanta is a nightmare to drive through when the weather is good, forget about it when there is a torrential rainstorm.

and

e. Never forget item one

THE ADVENTURE BEGINS

I left home at 4 am, with the grand plan of arriving at my mother's house around 9 pm. It might have worked, except that I found I needed to stop about every hour to stretch and take care of other, uh hum, business. Never change medications just before starting a long trip...just a little tip from your Uncle Lare.

But everything pretty much went according to plan until somewhere between Louisville and Nashville. My GPS decided it wanted to show me the back country, and since I really wasn't on a time schedule, I played along. After making sure I was hopelessly lost, the unit went from being dead center on a road to this:

After about five minutes it found itself again, and of course, by then I had missed the turn it wanted me to make, so I got a tour of the country side.

Much to my delight, I found that from Kentucky down to Florida, they have plenty of Chik Fil'A restaurants, which I was thrilled about. The connection between that discovery and my need to stop at each and every rest area is highly coincidental.

After about 12 hours on the road, I rolled into Atlanta.

This was about 2 seconds before traffic came to a standstill. Two hours later, I was moving out of the Atlanta area, but not out of the weather.

I politely asked Interstate for 20 degrees right for weather....denied. After the thunderstorm, I had had enough fun for the day, so I called it quits in Cordele, GA (yeah, I had never heard of it before either) I found a Best Western that looked adequate and fell asleep shortly there after.

DAY TWO

After awaking bright and bushy-tailed....well maybe not quite that way but I'm not sure how to describe what I see when I look in the mirror in the morning except suffice to say if I saw that reflection in the woods in the dark, I would shoot it and run back to the cabin.

Anyway, after eating my morning breakfast, (Thank you Best Western) with the knowledge that now I definitely would not be missing any rest areas, I continued on my journey.

Arriving in New Smyrna Beach five hours later, I drove on the beach. (I stopped short of driving into the ocean though) and enjoyed a fresh clam dinner while taking in the scenery.

Tomorrow, I will leave for Holiday Isle, in Islamorada to meet up with Matt. (http://holidayisle.com) I will be there Wednesday and Thursday (photoshoot is thursday) and then will be making my way back. Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to visit with a few CSR members along the way.

Spending so much time alone on the road left much time to ponder my thoughts about boating and Sea Ray in general. As most of you know, I am not a real fan in the direction that Sea Ray is headed. I am very concerned that the average Joe is being priced out of the market, from the initial cost, rapid depreciation and resale values. Additionally, I am not real excited about the "European" styling that has been the trend the last couple years. Given the opportunity, I hope to discuss my concerns with anyone that will listen while being a guest at the photo shoot in the next couple days.

More to come tomorrow.....

The video is being processed and should be available for viewing shortly.
    Last edited by sfergson727; 08-20-2013 at 05:02 PM.
    Scott of the most excellent Sea Ray "Destiny".
    "You listen. On this ship, you're to refer to me as 'idiot', not 'you captain'. I mean, you know what I mean.

Quando omni flunkus moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
    Previous boats: '03 320 DA, '01 280 DA, '95 270 DA, '81 260 DA, '87 230 WE, '66 Boston whaler 13 sport, '75 BW 13 Sport, '87 BW 15 Supersport, '09 BW 15 Supersport and a couple of dinghies.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    restored 1976 SRV200
    Engine(s)
    188 Mercruiser I/O

Re: Sea Ray Photo shoot - 2013 CSR Invasion

Great picture Scott.
    When I lived in Asheville NC we would go to Atlanta (on purpose) to watch the Braves. I know the area in your picture very well. Go luck for the rest of the trip. Where about in Valpo do you live. (General area please, don't want any trolls looking you up) My wife lived down on West street along US 30 and I lives in Washington twp back in the 70's.

Bill
    andersonforge.com
    Proud charter member of the HOLE IN THE WATER CLUB since 2012
    Anderson Forge and Metal Works: Quality on Edge.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    Engine(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OldSkool View Post
    Great picture Scott.
    When I lived in Asheville NC we would go to Atlanta (on purpose) to watch the Braves. I know the area in your picture very well. Go luck for the rest of the trip. Where about in Valpo do you live. (General area please, don't want any trolls looking you up) My wife lived down on West street along US 30 and I lives in Washington twp back in the 70's.
    Just south of Orville Redenbachers farms on 30.
    "You listen. On this ship, you're to refer to me as 'idiot', not 'you captain'. I mean, you know what I mean.

Previous boats: '03 320 DA, '01 280 DA, '95 270 DA, '81 260 DA, '87 230 WE, '66 Boston whaler 13 sport, '75 BW 13 Sport, '87 BW 15 Supersport, '09 BW 15 Supersport and a couple of dinghies.

Lake Chickamauga/Marietta, GA/Ft. Myers, FL
    Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2003 Sea Ray 410 DA
    Engine(s)
    CAT 3126TAs, ZF 80IV Drives; Westerbeke 7.6 BTD Generator

Scott - give me call on the way back through - I will either be in Atlanta (close to I-75 in Marietta) or on the boat in CHA (Fri - Sun). 404-316-7419.

Carter Chapman - Lake Chickamauga/Marietta, GA/Ft. Myers, FL
    2003 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer "One Sweet Day"
    2006 Yamaha VX110 Deluxe "Blue Lightning"
    2005 Sea Ray 340 Sundancer "Reward" 8.1S V Drives (Sold - I Miss her - Great Boat)
    Avatar is "Sunrise Over the Bering Sea" at 35,000'

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    Engine(s)

Will do.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2006 320DA w/Black hull; (2) 2016 3-up Seadoo Sparks
    Engine(s)
    350 Mercruiser MPI V drives

Sea Ray Photo shoot - 2013 CSR Invasion

Hope to see you soon. Enjoy the photo shoot!!
    Shaun

Past boats (Sea Ray's):
    1986 Sea Ray 300WE
    1995 Sea Ray Laguna 24'CC

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    Engine(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky's View Post
    Hope to see you soon. Enjoy the photo shoot!!
    I sent you a message on FB regarding it, if Friday doesn't work, I might be able to get there Sat.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2008 290 Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    Twin 5.0 MPIs (DTS) w/ Bravo III Drives Kohler 5 ECD

Jealous! Can I get in line for one of the next "all expenses paid" trips?

Enjoy your trip and represent us well.
    Bluegrass Buccaneer
    2008 290 Sundancer (Pewter), Twin Mercruiser 5.0L MPIs with DTS/Bravo III Drives

2007 210 Select (Pewter), Mercruiser 5.0L MPI (260HP)/Alpha I - TRADED 1/18/11!!!

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2008 290 Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    Twin 5.0 MPIs (DTS) w/ Bravo III Drives Kohler 5 ECD

Let me know if you want to make a stop in Knox Vegas on your way back through. I don't know the plans for this weekend yet, but I hope it will involve being on the boat (if the weather will finally be dry).
    Bluegrass Buccaneer
    2008 290 Sundancer (Pewter), Twin Mercruiser 5.0L MPIs with DTS/Bravo III Drives

2007 210 Select (Pewter), Mercruiser 5.0L MPI (260HP)/Alpha I - TRADED 1/18/11!!!

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1995 550 Sedan Bridge, 2010 Boston Whaler 130 Super Sport, 1971 Boston Whaler 130 Sport,
    Engine(s)
    CAT 3406C's, 580hp.

Great photos all. I put my name in the hat for that trip but never really expected to hear back on it, and I was not disappointed. I also was not disappointed now to see that you got the trip. I cannot think of anyone on here more deserving of a trip like this than you. Have fun, post lots of pics, and keep us posted on how things are going.
    1995 550 Sedan Bridge "Beachcomber"
    'There is nothing-absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats"
    Proud dues paying Charter Member of the Hole In The Water Club!