Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.CBangler.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2009 330 DA, Raymarine C80, Intellian, VesselView, Kohler, Sea Lift, Central Vac
    Engine(s)
    MerCruiser 8.1 Horizons DTS

Re: Survey and Sea Trial tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by HUMPH View Post
    I agree. There is no way I would allow anyone to run what is still MY boat for an hour at WOT no matter who pays for fuel! A few minutes to verify WOT speed and rpm and that is it!
    Count me in the no freaking way category as well. In fact when I pulled the engine data on my current boat I looked specifically at some of the operating ranges to make sure the boat wasn't beat to death. If recall it only had 1.1 hour at 4000-4500+ RPM which is exactly what I'd want to see for a boat that at the time had about 250 hours.

Miss Kay-Dee
    2009 330DA

Former Vessel:2005 260DA Key West Dreamin'

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1998 Sea Ray 270da Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    7.4 Mercruiser w/Bravo III

Thanks guys, the survey and sea trial went well. There are three concerns. 1. The battery charger is not working. 2. The bracket that the hydraulic pump is mounted to has rusted and is no longer attached to the hull. 3. The AC does not blow cold air. The heat works and water is flowing but no cold air. So that stuff will be checked by a mechanic.

The compression test was good as was the outdrive oil. We did run at cruise speed and WOT for a few minutes to verify speed and rpm. Boat handles nicely and the surveyors said itís in terrific shape for a boat that age. Freaked me out seeing the guy jump into the engine compartment with the motor running and while underway!

So Iím waiting to hear back on what the mechanic says. Concerned about the AC and not sure what a battery charger costs installed. We will have to determine who is paying for that stuff, and how thatíll all work. I was also going to have them put in a flush system while itís there since I will store it on a lift. And considered sending them a transducer since I would have to haul it out to install that, no trailer. Anyway, wait and see but very positive experience.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2009 330 DA, Raymarine C80, Intellian, VesselView, Kohler, Sea Lift, Central Vac
    Engine(s)
    MerCruiser 8.1 Horizons DTS

Excellent! Sounds like fairly minor stuff... the charger isn't a huge deal, the bracket should also be fairly simple, the A/C could be spendy depending on what's wrong. Good luck!

Miss Kay-Dee
    2009 330DA

Former Vessel:2005 260DA Key West Dreamin'

Boat
    SeaRay 380 Aft cabin
    Details
    380 Aft Cabin 1989 GPS and Charts by Nobeltec
    Engine(s)
    Twin 454 strait shaft

As to running at max RPM we have 2750 hours on our engines and the compression is good. Goes the same speed it did at 650 hours. Going north we have run the boat for an hour or so at full RPM because we want to miss rapids or get out of the way of a storm that was not supposed to be there. Boat handles it well. Crew does not. It burns 28 gallons an hour per engine so we try not to do it often. We normally run at 1400 RPM and burn 6 gallons an hour. If an engine will not take full load for extended time it is not in good condition. In a given year we might have 5 hours at max RPM. Before we had a 28 footer with twin V6 3.8 we ran them all the time at 3800RPM same results as this boat. Sold the boat at 1500 hours. It is still around and the owner has had no problems with the engines. Start stop does more damage than constant running under load. I used to run the maintenance department for a large pipeline company. We had every thing from turbines to diesel to electric. if it said full load 22,000 RPM on a turbine we ran it at that for days same with reciprocal engines. We used to get 40,000 hours on the turbines between rebuilds. Others I do not remember but t was in the 10s of thousands of hours. Maintenance is the key to long life of all equipment and the only way to find out if equipment is well maintained is to make it work hard.
    Glad your test run went well. If you got it to max RPM and all stabilized for 5 minutes that would be an indication all is well. There will come a day when you will need to run it hard for an extended time knowing now it will do it is good.

Boat
    searay
    Details
    500 dancer, previous 420,390,300 dancers
    Engine(s)
    detriot 8v92

AC is probably the reversing valve stuck, no big deal, tap with hammer. Battery charger a couple hundred or so plus labor. Not sure about the bracket you are talking about.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    Engine(s)

Survey and Sea Trial tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by bahamabreisus View Post
    AC is probably the reversing valve stuck, no big deal, tap with hammer. Battery charger a couple hundred or so plus labor. Not sure about the bracket you are talking about.
    That is reassuring. The bracket is on the starboard side at the corners near the stern and the tilt/trim hydraulics appear to be mounted to it. Seems like an easy fix and the only rusted corroded part in the bilge.

Also noticed the breaker panel by the battery switch is cracked pretty bad, assuming I can find one is that Diy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2004 390 Motor Yacht
    Engine(s)
    Twin 8.1 Mercruiser Inboards

THe BEST in my opinion. Last year I had my heart set on a 405 Cruisers Yacht, but the sea trial did not go well and I was torn between justifying the results, or walking. In the end I walked and then found the boat I now own, the 390 Sea Ray MY. I love the boat, and looking back I dread the thought if I would have moved forward with purchasing the Cruisers Yacht! Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by endless seas View Post
    Very good advice indeed.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2007 Sea Ray 320DA
    Engine(s)
    Vdrive 350 Horizon

I almost purchased a 32' Regal with Volvo outdrives. Even the 20k repair bill on the outdrives didn't deter me, kept going. But the high sodium levels in the engine oil analysis (from the engine survey) after only 4 hours of engine run time since the oil changed finally scared me off. Bought a Sea Ray with vdrive inboards and could not be happier.

Brown Eyed Girl - Sea Ray 320DA 350 MAG MPI V-drive
    Todd

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    270 SLX
    Engine(s)
    8.1 496 / bravo III

The bracket for the trim pump is about $100 and takes 1 hr to change and is rather simple.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    Engine(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paulswagelock View Post
    The bracket for the trim pump is about $100 and takes 1 hr to change and is rather simple.
    Good to know, thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk