Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1992 330 Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    Twin 454 Mercruiser--340hp V drive inboards

Re: Tunnel/pockets on 80's 300's & 340's

Quote Originally Posted by norriscathy View Post
    Looking for info on tunnel hulls on 80's 300's & 340's. I can find very little info. From what I've found it seems the tunnels do give you a more shallow draft but makes the boat sit heavy and requires a lot more power to get on a plane. Please let give us your insights before we buy one.
    Thanks
    Norris
    We have owned both Express and Sundancer models with big block power units. Both had tunnel hull design. We changed to the Dancer model to gain the mid cabin. The pivot point on the Dancer is slightly more to the aft however not a big deal and just a matter of getting used to with bow swing in a breeze. I like the shallow draft of 27 inches as compared to l/O units. I do not find any issues with backing .
    Love the rumble of the big blocks.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1979 300 Express
    Engine(s)
    Twin Chrysler 330's (440ci or 7.2L)

Quote Originally Posted by norriscathy View Post
    I see you have a '77 300 WE; I'm looking at a '78 30 EC. Any pro's or con's on your boat? Looks great! Does it have tunnel pockets? Although the photos are not real clear, it looks like the 78 EC has a traditional hull. Do you have any idea when Sea Ray went to the tunnel pockets on the 300's and 340's? Norris
    I have a '79 EC with big block Chryslers and it doesn't have tunnel pockets. I like having the engines mid-ship which allows the boat to plane out easier and I don't have to run the engines as fast as the DA model. Depending on how much of a load I'm carrying or which way I'm cruising on the river I run between 2200 - 2400rpm which will give me 18 - 22 mph. The trade off is less cabin space and I'm sure my normal cruising speed is slower. Sorry I don't have an exact year, but I believe the change to prop tunnels started in the early '80's

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1992 330 Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    Twin 454 Mercruiser--340hp V drive inboards

Quote Originally Posted by cmount1 View Post
    I have a '79 EC with big block Chryslers and it doesn't have tunnel pockets. I like having the engines mid-ship which allows the boat to plane out easier and I don't have to run the engines as fast as the DA model. Depending on how much of a load I'm carrying or which way I'm cruising on the river I run between 2200 - 2400rpm which will give me 18 - 22 mph. The trade off is less cabin space and I'm sure my normal cruising speed is slower. Sorry I don't have an exact year, but I believe the change to prop tunnels started in the early '80's
    It is good to see some numbers posted. I run 2800 rpm and 24 mph, so about the same 400 number difference. I trim to get these numbers as close as possible.
    Love the rumble of the big blocks.

Boat
    Searay
    Details
    1981 Searay 310 Vanguard Express Cruiser.
    Engine(s)
    Twin 454 Crusaders

I just bought a 1981 310 Vanguard Express Cruiser with tunnels. This boat is direct drive not V drive. Twin 454's and the one time I used it I was running 23 - 25 mph at 3300 rpm.
    Last edited by cigars01; 03-26-2017 at 08:05 AM.