Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Boat
    Searay
    Details
    2002 410 Sundancer, Monaco Edition.
    Engine(s)
    3126 Cats.

Re: Thinking About Boats

Great story, and very encouraging. I closed on my 410 Sundancer last month and I'm taking delivery of it up in Connecticut in mid April. Dependng on route and conditions it will take me 6 1/2 - 8 1/2 hours to get her to my home dock. Coming from my 300 Sundancer with twin I/O's I'm almost as intimidated as I am excited.
    Not sure which I'm more nervous about: docking something that big, or navigating the very narrow channels and shallow depths around here. To make matters worse, a lot of the local towns haven't been putting buoys out in the bays in some spots until early to mid May. The last 12 miles from the inlet to my dock is going to be a real adventure. I know the water pretty well between the inlet I prefer to use and my dock and would be very comfortable doing it in my old boat, but this new one is going to be downright scary.
    I figure the trip home will be trial by fire and once there I plan to go out by myself 8 or 10 times over the next week or so before I start inviting passengers.
    2002 410 Sundancer Monaco Edition, 3126 Cats
    2005 Maxum 1800 MX
    1987 300 Sundancer SOLD

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1995 550 Sedan Bridge, 2010 Boston Whaler 130 Super Sport, 1971 Boston Whaler 130 Sport,
    Engine(s)
    CAT 3406C's, 580hp.

[QUOTE=Woody;923351]When I laid out the trip home I checked out the marinas I would be using on Google maps. I measured fairways, checked fuel docks and access, I pretty much knew ahead my options for approach that would be best for me and the new boat. [QUOTE]

Woody, great story about your beginner nervousness with your boat. I went from a 330 Dancer to the 550 so I can truly relate to what you were describing.

I had to chuckle at your comment about measuring marinas on Google maps (I use Google Earth for that). When we firsts picked up Beachcomber from the marina in Portland that recommissioned her I felt like there was no way in hell I could get used to driving that monster. As we backed her out of the slip my wife asked me "Are you sure you're OK driving a boat this big?"

Not wanting her to know how nervous I was I just replied "Sure. Piece of cake" though I'm sure my sweaty hands on the shifters were an indication of how I really felt. .

Our first stop was at Columbia River Yacht Club, a very prestigious club where they were having a bit Sea Ray Aquapalooza. I called on the radio as I approached and asked them where they wanted me. They said they wanted me to stern tie between two boats that were already stern tied to the dock. HOLY CRAPOLA BATMAN! I'd never backed a boat this size except to back out of the slip. As I got to the yacht club I could see the docks lined with people looking over the collection of boats that were stern tied to the dock. Knowing that they would all be watching me and judging how I did, "nervous" did not even come close to how I was feeling, but I backed it in without touching either of the boats and didn't even hit the dock when I backed into the space.
    1995 550 Sedan Bridge "Beachcomber"
    'There is nothing-absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats"
    Proud dues paying Charter Member of the Hole In The Water Club!

Southport Marina - Kenosha WI - Lake Michigan
    Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    410 Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    Caterpillar 3126

Like JVM225, I closed on my 410 in November and will also be taking delivery in April, but am only stepping up from a 360. It's not the size so much as the torque on the diesels that I can't wait to experience the responsiveness on. Luckily I have a good buddy who has a 48DB and had me dock it this summer. I have driven his as well as my other buddies 51 Sundancer, but have never docked either vessel. Talking about intimidation, that is a bus with very responsive Cummins. We got into the dock channel and I did my usual spin around so my back was to the dash and I was facing the stern of the boat and after a couple of in and outs of gearl, got a feeling for the boat. Put the boat into the dock, and after I did, he asked if I even bothered to touch the thrusters or look at the rearview camera to which I responded "no, when you aren't used to having them, you don't rely on them." I wonder if I will still want to install a thruster once I get used to the responsiveness of the Cats?
    2002 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer
    1998 Silverton 360 Express - Traded
    1989 Sunrunner 318 Express - Traded

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2004 550 Sundancer w/ MAN's - Unleashed
    Engine(s)
    T-800 MAN's

Quote Originally Posted by hakunamatata View Post
    "no, when you aren't used to having them, you don't rely on them." I wonder if I will still want to install a thruster once I get used to the responsiveness of the Cats?
    The 410DA w/ Cats is very responsive, predictable and is probably the easiest boat I every docked. I didn't have a bow thruster on mine and only wished I had it once, early on when docking in a wide / short slip an basically got stuck in the middle. After that, i learned how to walk it sideways with the props. Heck, I had my 550DA for two weeks and had taken it out several times then remembered I had a bow thruster. It's all what are accustomed to and what you practice with.

1962 Correct Craft - Atom Skier - Sold
    1994 Sea Ray 330 Sundancer - "It'll Do" - Sold
    1988 Fountain 10 Meter - "Impulsive" - Sold
    2000 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer - "Offshore Adventure" - Sold
    2007 Nautica Rib 11DL - Current
    2004 Sea Ray 550 Sundancer - "Unleashed" - Current

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1999 480 Sedan Bridge
    Engine(s)
    Caterpillar 3196

Thinking About Boats

Quote Originally Posted by bahamabreisus View Post
    Who was that, Mark?
    Yes Mark, who was that. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    KNOT QUIET
    1999 480 Sedan Bridge
    2000 340 sundancer "Sold"
    2003 210 Sea Fox

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1999 480 Sedan Bridge
    Engine(s)
    Caterpillar 3196

Thinking About Boats

These are great stories. I went from 340 to 480DB. First docking was interesting but as others said... diesel Cats just did what I asked of them when I asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    KNOT QUIET
    1999 480 Sedan Bridge
    2000 340 sundancer "Sold"
    2003 210 Sea Fox

Boat
    SeaRay
    Details
    2005 420DA
    Engine(s)
    Cummins 6CTA8.3

Quote Originally Posted by Stee6043 View Post
    That's a great story. And a trip I'd like to take someday around this great state! Very cool.
    Come on up
    2005 420DA 6CTA8.3 V-Drive, current boat
    2005 280DA T-5.0MPI, 260hp, B3
    2004 270SD 496HO, 425hp, B3
    2004 200BR 5.0MPI, 260hp, Alpha 1