Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.CBangler.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1995 550 Sedan Bridge, 2010 Boston Whaler 130 Super Sport, 1971 Boston Whaler 130 Sport,
    Engine(s)
    CAT 3406C's, 580hp.

The Best Boat Service Guy EVER!

The Best Boat Tech Ever!

I have used the same company (ColumbiaMarineCenter.com) for all of my mechanical work on my boat for the past several years. Jim Toroni, the owner of Columbia Marine is absolutely top notch. He has many years of experience working on big boats (not something that is common in our area) and does it all except for working on engines and generators. Columbia Marine is a full service company and an Evinrude dealer and they have a marina. Jim is the one who did all the repair on my boat following the problems that were caused by our runaway starter.

So what is it that makes Jim the Best Boat Tech ever? His high level of customer service.

Right before Christmas I took a dozen donuts into Columbia Marine as a small Christmas gift for his guys to say "Thanks" for the work they do. While there, Jim and I shot the breeze as we always do, and during that conversation I mentioned that I had left my Kasco De-Icer on the bow and asked him if he would keep an eye on the weather.

The temperature was a whopping 1* when we left yesterday to come down to AZ. Today I got a couple of phone calls from Jim about the forming in the bay where my boat is. He said he was headed down to my boat to put in the de-icer pump. I got a call later from him where he said he’d put the de-icer in the water and plugged it into the extension cord I had there for that purpose.

He also put a small 110V heater in the lazarette because the bilge water in there was frozen. There’s nothing in the lazarette that could get hurt by freezing because I’d already closed the seacock and had drained the sea strainer glass bowl.

He also checked the engine room to make sure the heater was working and checked through the rest of the boat to make sure everything was OK.

IMHO, THAT is the kind of relationship every boat owner would like to have with the people who take care of his boat. Jim doesn’t have to provide that level of service, but he does it because he cares about his customers’ boats.

Jim, my friend, thank you so much for being there and taking care of Beachcomber. I really do appreciate what you have done for me and continue to do every day. Knowing that you're taking care of the boat removes a ton of stress from my life.
    1995 550 Sedan Bridge "Beachcomber"
    'There is nothing-absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats"
    Proud dues paying Charter Member of the Hole In The Water Club!

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2005 Sundancer 260
    Engine(s)
    350 Mag MPI
    Wow. There ARE still real people out there that care...and that you can trust.

And good on you for taking in some donuts!

Boat
    searay
    Details
    500 dancer, previous 420,390,300 dancers
    Engine(s)
    detriot 8v92

Re: The Best Boat Service Guy EVER!

Nice story.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2006 260 Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    Mercruiser 350 mag

I didn't know you were out of town. As I drove over the bridge I saw that the marina was iced over. From the few seconds I looked, it was all around the boats.
    That was nice of him to do that. When we went to bed last night it was 2 degrees.
    If there's anything you need while out of town don't hesitate to get in touch with me.
    I can pm you my number if you want'.
    Greg

Boat
    Sea Ray: Sea Doo
    Details
    280 Sundancer 2008, GTX LTDiS (tender)
    Engine(s)
    496/BIII, Rotax 1503

Great service s hard to find. I am fortunate to have a person also that is very customer service oriented. I never have to worry about any work that needs to be done on my boat will go unfinished. In fact, last summer, on a Sunday afternoon, I had a float malfunction on my shower sump, I left a message for him on voicemail at the shop asking to get a new float. When I got back to the dock, he was there, new float in hand and in 20 minutes it was fixed. all at no charge. I treat him and his people well, always pay my bill, without delay or arguing about prices, and never am demanding. Because of this, I get prime storage, preferential treatment in many ways and a friend out of it all.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1995 550 Sedan Bridge, 2010 Boston Whaler 130 Super Sport, 1971 Boston Whaler 130 Sport,
    Engine(s)
    CAT 3406C's, 580hp.

Greg, if your phone number still ends in -2105 I already have it. If it's changed, yeah, please PM me with it. One never knows what the future will turn up. I'll be down here until 2/23. It's nice to have someone on the other end to be able to call.

66pony, It sounds like you and your mechanic have a similar relationship. I count Jim on my list of friends more than just a mechanic. He's all that and a lot more.
    'There is nothing-absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats"

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2006 260 Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    Mercruiser 350 mag

That's it Mike.
    We have up to 7" of snow forecast, with 1/4" of freezing rain by Monday morning.
    Temps are supposed to rise a little though.
    Greg

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    Engine(s)
    CAT 3406C's, 580hp.

Greg, I don't want to make you feel bad (well, maybe just a little ) but it's going to be 74* tomorrow with no snow forecast.

Sorry, I know I should be ashamed of that post but I just can't help myself.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    Engine(s)
    CAT 3406C's, 580hp.

I got back in town last Thursday evening. First thing I did Friday morning was drive by the marina and saw a thin layer of ice over much of the marina. I then went to Columbia Marine Center to check in with Jim. All is well with him and his docks. They survived the winter snows and are in good shape. By Friday afternoon the marina was free of ice and is still clear.

I can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can start washing the boat and getting the Christmas decorations taken down.