Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.CBangler.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Boat
    Searay
    Details
    1995 400EC. Raymarine E80,4kw dome, Garmin 235 gps, 11ft Baltik / 15hp on St croix davits.
    Engine(s)
    2013 7.4L Mercruiser Blue water. Hurth straight shaft 630's, Westerbeke 7.0 BCG

Re: My boat is still a LEMON!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by skunkman View Post
    Rusty,
    Thank you for your PM.

You helped me out before, hopefully you can again. I really want to love this boat.

I found out yesterday that in addition to the engine coupler the boat needs 4 new batteries.

Today I got this email from the service manager at MarineMax:

My tech just informed me your trim tab cylinders are leaking and need replaced. They cost $352 for the pair and 1.75 ($190.75) hours labor to replace . He also noted the starboard engine end caps were leaking and needed replaced. O-rings and seals cost $223.82 and 3.6 hours ($392.40) to replace. The hydraulic smell you noticed is the upper yoke seal leaking fluid (2.5 hours to repair ($272.50).

I dare not inform my wife of this or I'm certain I will be boatless by the end of the week!!!!

More nonrelated parts are failing....!???

SeaRay, buys the parts from various top company's like Bennett trim tabs, Mercruiser engines, Taylor Made products, ect, ect....

I've never heard of such bad luck before....just doesn't smell right....almost wonder if your boat is being vandalized?
    Mark.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1999/2007 330 Sundancer Hardtop.
    Engine(s)
    6.2 Merc Horixons 1.5:1 Velvet Drives

Quote Originally Posted by Air O'Nautical View Post

..........almost wonder if your boat is being vandalized?
    Thought crossed my mind as well....... Devil is in the details.
    Best Regards,
    David

"Saint Max", '99 330 Dancer
    2007 6.2L Mercruiser Horizons; 1.5:1 Velvet V5000 "V" Drives

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    88 Weekender 300 "Seahorse"
    Engine(s)
    Twins 350

Something just doesn't sound right, my trim tabs were leaking the total cost for my old 88 to fix was $0. Bennett sends you or the service guy the o rings for free and the tools to fix them! Total time for me to do both the upper and lower on both was less than an hour.

After taking them apart I can tell you there's not much there to leak but those o rings.

Im not accusing...I'm guessing....I smell a bad fish

Boat
    Chaparral - shopping Searay now
    Details
    Looking for 330 Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    350 twins

Quote Originally Posted by Air O'Nautical View Post

SeaRay, buys the parts from various top company's like Bennett trim tabs, Mercruiser engines, Taylor Made products, ect, ect....

I've never heard of such bad luck before....just doesn't smell right....almost wonder if your boat is being vandalized?
    Vandalism would be unlikely. The boat is up high on a lift and always covered. It is under video surveillance and I have very watchful neighbors. The boat is on a canal on a barrier island with a strong police presence and only 2 ways on and off the island. It is strange (and frustrating) that so many different things are breaking down. I keep hoping this will be the last of it. The fact that boat manufacturers purchase parts from so many different companies presents a big problem. Kohler has their warranties, Merc has theirs etc etc. Boat companies don't take responsibility for the entire boat as do car manufacturers. The way I look at it however is whoever accepted my payment should be responsible for the item I purchased as a whole.
    2014 330 Sundacer
    Longboat Key, Florida

Boat
    Sea Ray & a 22 Boston Whaler Dauntless (225 Merc)
    Details
    1996 450DA
    Engine(s)
    3116 Caterpillars

But, Sea Ray does sell through a dealers whose responsibility it is to handle your warranty issues, and smile about it, no matter who the OEM vendor is. And, if the dealer sold you an extended warranty, then they should be your interface with the warranty company.
    Frank

Boat
    in between
    Details
    Ex SRV 240 Weekender twin
    Engine(s)
    in between

If the tabs are Bennett, parts are covered.Exactly what defines the bad coupler?
    "end caps leaking" if you mean the heat exchanger end caps then the motor was not winterized correctly and the end caps are pushed out a bit. Remove them, flatten out and reinstall them.
    As far as the hyd smell, bad /damaged shaft alignment is the cause if that because it takes out the seals.
    You mention batteries, if they were wet cells cooked dry thats the chargers fault.
    Some voltage regulators will allow a higher voltage if the batteries are gel or agm
    Last edited by Bt Doctur; 01-18-2017 at 11:41 AM.

Boat
    Chaparral - shopping Searay now
    Details
    Looking for 330 Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    350 twins

Quote Originally Posted by Bt Doctur View Post
    If the tabs are Bennett, parts are covered.Exactly what defines the bad coupler?
    "end caps leaking" if you mean the heat exchanger end caps then the motor was not winterized correctly and the end caps are pushed out a bit. Remove them, flatten out and reinstall them.
    As far as the hyd smell, bad /damaged shaft alignment is the cause if that because it takes out the seals.
    You mention batteries, if they were wet cells cooked dry thats the chargers fault.
    Some voltage regulators will allow a higher voltage if the batteries are gel or agm
    I'm, not very knowledgeable about boat mechanics so some of this is foreign to me. The coupler I believe links the engine to the out drive. I was told the splines were bad if that helps clear things up.

I did have the charger repaired in the past. Hopefully it doesn't cook these batteries.

The boat doesn't get winterized - I use it all year. Never freezes in Long Boat Key.

I think the batteries are AGM - I'll check
    2014 330 Sundacer
    Longboat Key, Florida

Boat
    in between
    Details
    Ex SRV 240 Weekender twin
    Engine(s)
    in between

was expecting inboard in that size . If outdrives, the engine alignment should be checked every 2 years when the drives are removed for service. If engine alignment is off from mis-adjustment, loose /rotted engine stringers/lags or damaged rear motor mounts the engine will move under the torque and destroy the coupler. If the coupler splines are pointed and not square ,mis-alignment is the cause
    leaving a cell, its quicker