Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    '97 330 Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    2X 454 w/ vDrives

Re: DIY Dinghy Davit advise / ideas needed

Quote Originally Posted by ArtWallach View Post
    I would prefer the port davit arm being more to the stern of the dink, but the model Zodiac I have purchased has two rudder strakes that are depicted with the dark rectangles. I basically have two choices.
    https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...6f&oe=591B3E96
    Sliding the dink on either fore or aft of the rudder strakes. If I put the davit arm aft of the strakes I have only a 2" margin of missing the dink transom when pulling it onto the swim platform.
    If the davit arm is forward of the rudder strakes it is only 14" to the transom. The dink tubes going to the points are the vast majority of the overhang.
    Since I'm using rubber wheels I think (hope) I'll be fine with the 1/2" HDPE. I used 1" on a rocket launcher table I made (replaces cockpit table when fishing).
    https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...e2&oe=5914BEA3
    https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...e4&oe=591CAA47
    It is very heavy for its size.
    Off topic, but that rocket launcher table for fishing is a great idea that I will be using, with some modification, on my 330DA for somewhat similar purposes.
    1997 Sea Ray 330 DA 7.4 carbs vdrives w/2007 Mercury 310 RIB with 8hp Yamaha
    Learning curve:
    1995 Campion Victoria 245 5.7L Bravo 2
    1989 Cadorette Holiday 200 4.3L Alpha

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    2000 Sea Ray 310 Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    T300hp Mercruiser Inboards

Quote Originally Posted by Creekwood View Post
    Off topic, but that rocket launcher table for fishing is a great idea that I will be using, with some modification, on my 330DA for somewhat similar purposes.
    What you can't see from those pics is that the redesign now has a slot for a fishing pliers, a knife and a a small cheap cutting board in the center (that is replaceable), but I don't like to cut any messy bait on it. I have no cockpit carpeting or transom bench when fishing. I tie down a cooler on the swim platform as a live well. for a SeaRay Sundancer, it makes for a decent fishing platform.
    GaleFORCE
    T-350 MPI - VDrive

Boat
    Mainship
    Details
    1998 31 Sedan Bridge
    Engine(s)
    Twin 350 Marine Power

How far down do the strakes extend? Do you have a picture? I would consider putting the rear support right in the middle of that area. Are you planning to leave the motor on?

Boat
    Mainship
    Details
    1998 31 Sedan Bridge
    Engine(s)
    Twin 350 Marine Power

I would question the need for rollers as well. Starboard on wet fiberglass is plenty slick. I would thing the rollers would actually make it harder to haul out from catching on the ribs on the bottom of the dink.

Not trying to tear your design apart. I'm just speaking from what worked for me. I had a 1998 290DA with a 10' RIB.
    Last edited by magstang1; 01-12-2017 at 10:36 PM.

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    Engine(s)

The strakes or stabilizer fins are circled in this drawing. They are 20" long and stick up 2". They are hard rubber. I think they will get snagged trying to slide up over them.
    https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...62&oe=591509C7

i had debated the wheels ... which are going to be hard rubber ... but since I'm only using 1/2" HDPE I wanted a wider surface to rest on.
    GaleFORCE
    T-350 MPI - VDrive

Boat
    Mainship
    Details
    1998 31 Sedan Bridge
    Engine(s)
    Twin 350 Marine Power

My rear davit arm was only a few inches from the back end of the dinghy hull. Just far enough to give me a little wiggle room when hauling the dinghy up on the davit. The last thing you want is the dinghy sliding too far forward and the hull slipping off the front of the rear arm. Now the tubes are caught in the arms of the davit and it's a pain to straighten out.

If your dinghy has a fiberglass hull I would omit the wheels. Fiberglass slides across starboard like ice. I would also consider moving that rear arm toward the back of your dinghy especially if you plan to leave the motor attached. You have to consider weight distribution, not length. All the weight is in the back. Make a cutout in the rear support that can go around the strakes and support on the hull.

Good luck and keep us updated. I hope I've given you some points to consider. Search through my old posts and there are plenty of pictures of how I made mine.
    Last edited by magstang1; 01-13-2017 at 04:38 PM.

Boat
    Searay
    Details
    2002 410 Sundancer, Monaco Edition.
    Engine(s)
    3126 Cats.

This is what came with the boat I just bought last month. They are pretty pricey to buy, but after looking at them in person they seem pretty basic and should be easy to use as a guideline for a DIY project. They slide in to Weaver Davit brackets that are mounted on the edge of the swim platform:

http://www.dinghyramp.com/dinghyramp...-on-boat-lift/
    2002 410 Sundancer Monaco Edition, 3126 Cats
    2005 Maxum 1800 MX
    1987 300 Sundancer SOLD

Boat
    Cruisers
    Details
    2000 3672
    Engine(s)
    7.4 horizons

We actually have a winch in the trunk hatch to attach to the dinghy and it takes all the work out of using this style davit.
    Not to send anyone away from this site, but I have no pictures available and these guys put a bit of work into the solution.
    http://www.cruisersyachtsownersclub....hp?f=10&t=3584

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    Engine(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magstang1 View Post
    If your dinghy has a fiberglass hull I would omit the wheels. Fiberglass slides across starboard like ice. I would also consider moving that rear arm toward the back of your dinghy especially if you plan to leave the motor attached. You have to consider weight distribution, not length. All the weight is in the back. Make a cutout in the rear support that can go around the strakes and support on the hull.
    My dinghy is not fiberglass.Its 100% inflatable. I may rethink the placement of the portside davit arm.
    GaleFORCE
    T-350 MPI - VDrive