Partner Sites:  www.BOEmarine.com | www.CBangler.com | www.BandofBoaters.com

Boat
    SeaRay
    Details
    320DA
    Engine(s)
    350 MPI w V Drives

Dingy on platform without davis?

I have a DA 320, swim platform is a little over 8.5 feet wide. I am looking for a dink, and am thinking of carrying it directly on the swim platform, no davits or mounts. This would mean a flat bottom dink, which I am fine with. The dink will mainly be used for short (100 yards) runs to the beach, so I don't need it to plane or carry a ton of people. My question is, is it practical to carry a dink right on the platform? The air floor and wood floor units I am looking at are less than 70 pounds, and my platform is pretty close to the water, so it seems like it would be a cinch to pull it onto the platform. Thoughts or advice? Thanks!

Boat
    Sea Ray
    Details
    1998 290 Sundancer
    Engine(s)
    Twin 5.7EFI/Alphas, Kohler 4kw

Re: Dingy on platform without davis?

Quote Originally Posted by Mightychan View Post
    I have a DA 320, swim platform is a little over 8.5 feet wide. I am looking for a dink, and am thinking of carrying it directly on the swim platform, no davits or mounts. This would mean a flat bottom dink, which I am fine with. The dink will mainly be used for short (100 yards) runs to the beach, so I don't need it to plane or carry a ton of people. My question is, is it practical to carry a dink right on the platform? The air floor and wood floor units I am looking at are less than 70 pounds, and my platform is pretty close to the water, so it seems like it would be a cinch to pull it onto the platform. Thoughts or advice? Thanks!
    I would fip our air floor up onto the back and secure with tie downs for short runs last year but it became super annoying so this year I built davits. The platform will support yours just fine, the problem is securing it so it doesn't move around a ton. With a motor attached your looking at 150-200lbs minimum and without a davit system it will bounce around quite a bit in any kind of chop.
    -Ryan

Boat
    Mainship
    Details
    1998 31 Sedan Bridge
    Engine(s)
    Twin 350 Marine Power

Re: Dingy on platform without davis?

Sooner or later everyone ends up with davits. Can you do it, yes. Will it be a pain, yes. Access to your rear cleats and entering / exiting your transom door will likely be blocked too. If you have a transom locker, that may be inaccessible.